Braith Anasta = Overrated

Discussion in 'NRL / Southern Hemisphere' started by lnp187, Jul 10, 2008.

1. lnp187

lnp187 Guest

I believe Braith Anasta is the most overrated player in the NRL and has been since his stint with the Bulldogs. Being a NSW fan i was frekin ****** to see him in the No.6 jersey in game 3. Not saying that he lost that game, but he did nothing to win either, i'd like to hear someone tell me otherwise.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Why? I mean how many times do we need to hear this crap about Anasta anyway?
    Seriously, I used to hate Anasta and really didn't want him at the Roosters. But since coming he's really earned my respect and I think he's playing far better footy for us than he ever did at the Dogs. But no one out there is saying Anasta is as good as Freddie, they're just saying he's playing well, which he has been! And anyway, who would you have put in the NSW No.6 Jersey? Qld have all the star playmakers right now, and short of Bringing Barrett back from England, none of the NSW boys had been as consistent or impressive as Anasta, who actually did a better job than f#cking Greg "what's this 6 on my back?" Bird did anyway.

4. lnp187

lnp187 Guest

OK lets be serious, in Game 3 his team mate Mitchell Pearce a guy who's only 19 and was making his debut in an origin decider played better than Anasta in that game and any of the origins he's played. I'm not saying that he's a bad player but he gets more credit than he deserves. By the way Todd Carney would have been perfect for the No.6 jersey just so you know.

5. melon

melon Guest

Anasta was overrated during his time at the Bulldogs, however now this idea is null and void.

He has grown as both a player and a person whilst at the Roosters and nowadays deserves every positive word that is spoken of him.

6. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Anasta ha d a solid game in game 3. Not a great game, but not bad one either. Sure he didn't win it for them, but no other 6 would have either, especially not Todd Carney who has never played Origin. If you'd have put Carney there with Peirce you'd have had two players who had never played in Origin or Grand finals and who had no combination with eachother. It would have been a disaster. The fact is that Anasta's combination with Peirce and his experience at that level allowed Peirce to play his natural game.
    Whatever you think about Anasta being over-rated (and I really don't think he is right now) the fact was there was no one else to really put in his place. NSW just don't have world class halves right now...

7. lnp187

lnp187 Guest

Anasta ha d a solid game in game 3. Not a great game, but not bad one either. Sure he didn't win it for them, but no other 6 would have either, especially not Todd Carney who has never played Origin. If you'd have put Carney there with Peirce you'd have had two players who had never played in Origin or Grand finals and who had no combination with eachother. It would have been a disaster. The fact is that Anasta's combination with Peirce and his experience at that level allowed Peirce to play his natural game.
    Whatever you think about Anasta being over-rated (and I really don't think he is right now) the fact was there was no one else to really put in his place. NSW just don't have world class halves right now...
    [/b][/quote]

True, but why didn't he play his natural game, he went out there and played a conservative game rather than playing the way he's been playing at the Roosters. With the momentum going NSW's way in that 50-70 minute period where they could have put the game away he decided to play it safe acting as if they had a lead which they didn't. He's considered a great player but the great players are the ones who take the game into their own hands but he let Pearce take that honor and they lost. When you talk about experience at origin level, do you mean never winning a game of origin because thats Anasta.

8. sanzar

sanzar Guest

I think you're glorifying Peirce somewhat. He had a good game, but Anasta played pretty well too, even if it was conservative at times (and he created opportunities too, but the QLD defence was just incredible). Either way I don't know what you're trying to achieve with all this. Anasta is a solid no.6 that plays the percentages well, and it's important to have players like that who can steady the ship at a high level. No he didn't win Origin for NSW, but neither did any other player in that squad, and lets be honest, Qld had a roster full of freaks! Seriously, the Qld Origin team had so much class that they alone would thump the kiwis and GB by 20 points. So try not to forget who they were up against.

9. lnp187

lnp187 Guest

I think you're glorifying Peirce somewhat. He had a good game, but Anasta played pretty well too, even if it was conservative at times (and he created opportunities too, but the QLD defence was just incredible). Either way I don't know what you're trying to achieve with all this. Anasta is a solid no.6 that plays the percentages well, and it's important to have players like that who can steady the ship at a high level. No he didn't win Origin for NSW, but neither did any other player in that squad, and lets be honest, Qld had a roster full of freaks! Seriously, the Qld Origin team had so much class that they alone would thump the kiwis and GB by 20 points. So try not to forget who they were up against.
    [/b][/quote]

I'm not pinning the blame on him for losing, Paul Gallen and Ryan Hoffman take that honor and yes that QLD D was impenetrable but all I'm saying is that people expect too much from him. Compare him to Matt Orford who's the most underrated player in my opinion. Orford's a much better player than Anasta and helped lead Manly to a grand final last year yet he gets no a credit. Anasta helps turn the Roosters around and he's on the highlight reel every week, it's ridiculous. As for Pearce, he played better than Anasta when it should have been the other way round.

10. sanzar

sanzar Guest

The fact that he made it to the GF last year isn't exactly a good basis for picking an Origin half. Orford made it to the Grand Final and his side got thumped. Anasta made it to the grand final and they won. So by that logic Anasta is a better player, see how silly it sounds now?
    As for the highlights reel. What Highlights reel? I haven't seen him on any highlights reel...

11. ak47

ak47 Guest

todd carney was the option they should have gone
    but i now have grown respect for anasta this year
    he has come of age, and really going gangbusters
    but carney is the future and they need to bleed him now

12. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Carney is a great player no doubt, but the selectors were never going to risk going into game 3 with 2 halves that had never played together and had also never played Origin or even in GFs. They should pick Carney next time, but they should also make sure he's playing with someone who can steady him for his first appearance.

13. ak47

ak47 Guest

Whilst carney has never played origin – neither had mullen when they picked him
    Pearce had never played either
    Carney is better than both of these nitwits, but playing for Canberra throws you into oblivion, and you go unnoticed
    Sure the raiders aren’t going well
    But fark me if Carney lands that 50m FG in city v country he would be the face of origin……..
    Give the kid a chance…….he is surrounded by incompetent fools at Canberra…throw some class around him, and the rest will happen itself.
    Farkin Henry has him @ 7 and he is a natural #6 moreso…..so a coach that is exiting to another team keeps playing him out of position, when clearly Campo can play at lock….it drives me nuts.
    SACK HENRY NOW

SELECTORS STUFFED UP FROM GAME 1
    Carney should have been in that game
    Bird aint no 6
    Next year is the year – I agree

14. Its sad that playing for Canberra means you get ignored by selectors because Todd Carney is a class player and one of my favorites in the NRL and he should of being picked for NSW. I must say that Canberra is my second team ive always had a soft spot for them. :)

Braith is okay he is a smart player and quite well educated on the game he just needs to f**king drop the mounds of hair gel he puts on. :rolleyes:

15. lnp187

lnp187 Guest

The fact that he made it to the GF last year isn't exactly a good basis for picking an Origin half. Orford made it to the Grand Final and his side got thumped. Anasta made it to the grand final and they won. So by that logic Anasta is a better player, see how silly it sounds now?
    As for the highlights reel. What Highlights reel? I haven't seen him on any highlights reel...
    [/b][/quote]

Yes, but Matt Orford coming in helped change Manly in huge way in terms of his influence, they played well with him and they became and still are one of the most dominant teams in the NRL today. When Anasta was with the Bulldogs he was surrounded by star power which Manly was lacking in when Orford got there. Those forwards and power backs got the Bulldogs there not Anasta. When he went to the Roosters it was a disaster, they went from premier winners to bottom of the ladder. It wasn't until Brad Fitler came to clean up the mess and make them contenders again. As for the highlight reels, leading to origin analysts were hyping him up to a stupid extent that it became laughable.

16. sanzar

sanzar Guest

[/b][/quote]

Yes, but Matt Orford coming in helped change Manly in huge way in terms of his influence, they played well with him and they became and still are one of the most dominant teams in the NRL today. When Anasta was with the Bulldogs he was surrounded by star power which Manly was lacking in when Orford got there. Those forwards and power backs got the Bulldogs there not Anasta. When he went to the Roosters it was a disaster, they went from premier winners to bottom of the ladder. It wasn't until Brad Fitler came to clean up the mess and make them contenders again. As for the highlight reels, leading to origin analysts were hyping him up to a stupid extent that it became laughable. [/b][/quote]
    Maybe the have different shows in NZ for league or something... because I watched the Sunday footy show and what not (not the thursday night one - f***ing hate hearing fatty talk so I avoid it) and he was barely mentioned. Maybe you just really really hate the guy for some arbitrary reason and feel that any mention of his name is massive hype or something, I don't know, because as far as I can tell he's barely been hyped at all. Certainly nothing like they way they carried on about f***ing Bird after his performance in Game 1... which in my eyes is a way bigger crime because that kook didn't even play as a 5 eighth when he had the 6 Jersey on, he just kept playing like a forward with the occaisional shitty kick! And he managed to get MOM?!

17. broncos4eva

broncos4eva Guest

I believe Anasta comes across as quite arrogant. I think he has come a long way since he left the doggies but has a long way to go yet!

18. sanzar

sanzar Guest

He to used sound cocky at the dogs, these days he generally keeps his mouth shut.

19. subsbligh

subsbligh Guest

So true - absoltutely crashed and burned in Game 3

20. Fushitsusha

Fushitsusha Guest

Its sad that playing for Canberra means you get ignored by selectors because Todd Carney is a class player and one of my favorites in the NRL and he should of being picked for NSW. I must say that Canberra is my second team ive always had a soft spot for them. :)

Braith is okay he is a smart player and quite well educated on the game he just needs to f**king drop the mounds of hair gel he puts on. :rolleyes:
    [/b][/quote]

Carney might not be playing with Canberra for long.

Carney stood down by the Raiders

Canberra Raiders chief executive DON FURNER has announced
    trouble-prone playmaker TODD CARNEY has been stood aside from the
    team pending a police investigation.

Reports have today linked CARNEY'S fellow teammate BRONX GOODWIN
    with an alleged assault in Canberra in the early hours of Monday
    morning.

FURNER would not comment on whether the GOODWIN and CARNEY
    incidents were linked but said both had been stood down.
    AAP RTV jd

The guy is an absolute moron.

21. ak47

ak47 Guest

Carney is fine
    Bronx is in trouble
    both dropped, but carney will be back in the side within weeks
    he ****** on Tilse's mates leg in the toilets playing silly buggars drunk
    the media has beat this up, as it increases newspaper sales - ie NRL player controversy
    The club has stood him down temporarily to protect its public image

more info - www.thegh.com.au

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!