• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

breakdown help

AKN08002

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
hey guys im a flanker for a college team in america. I'm looking to take the next step into being a great flanker, which is obiviously reading the ref and knowing what i can get away with and what i can't. At the breakdown, I love to poach. I tackle the guy and i immediately get on my feet and poach the ball. Everyone from the other team keeps yelling at me that i didnt release the tackler. I do release the tackler but its not as obvious. I watch david pocock and sam warburton videos all the time and they hardly release the tackler. It is impossible to poach empahsizing such a huge release and going for the ball, i wont even get the ball and ill atleast get a hands in the ruck. I talk the ref and he tells me that since its at a college level, he pins me for it because he concerned about peoples saftey cause not everyone knows what they are doing in. I also when i tackle the guy and get on my feet i hover my body over the ball. I think for atleast 3-4 seconds to do that, I should get a not releasing call but I never get it from the ref and its frustrating. I do get turnovers in games but i immediately turn it back over cause my teammates don't know what to do when i get turn overs. My teammates give me **** for getting penalties but mine aren't stupid ones like coming into the side of the ruck or off my feet. I used to play on a-side but not im playing on b-side because my coaches want me to learn how to judge and read refs. My coaches also tell me that i scare refs with how quick i am and they don't think its possible so they give me a not releasing penalty My workrate in a game is 7-8 turnovers to 2-4 penalties in a game. But i feel like refs at my level don't care about the product of the game but as opposed to not being technically wrong. Sometimes i feel like they don't want any competiton in the breakdown based some of these rediculous calls. For instance, this one ref tells me im not supporting my body weight, even though im on my feet? I want to help and be a difference maker on the field and help my team win games, but I dont know how when they take away the breakdown component of my game. It helps that im short 5 10-511 when i do my poaching, but is there a way i can make an impact or am i just doomed.

You could after completing the tackle and getting to your feet of moving your arms to the side of your body then going over the top for the ball.. iirc was something we got told at around under 13/14 level as that way the ref can clearly see that you have let the guy go and are now attempting to jackle but there may be alot better solutions that people cna share..

Latest posts