• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Breakdown Laws

G

Gay-Guy

I had read about the IRB's new proposal to the breakdown laws and didn't like them...so off the cuff here are mine lol!

Tackled player has 3 ref seconds to release "1 2 3".....no pauses in the counting. When saying "3" the ball carrier must have no hands on it.

All players can play the ball with their hands if they are on their feet.

Players on ground must not play the ball.

Attacking players only can seal the ball for their team.

Defending players can come through the gate...step over players on the ground....stand on the other side of the ruck and pick up the opposition ball. If they fall over in any direction then they must retire back to their onside. If they are pushed away (yet still maintain their feet) from the ball arrival area of the attacking team then they must start again and retire to their onside.

Defending players lying on the ruck area cannot prevent the ball (seal) from coming out to the attacking team. They must roll away if possible and ESPECIALLY if they are on the attacking teams side of the ruck. Any discreet or deliberate sealing by a defender is a penalty.

Maul situation rules are to remain the same except the collapsing of a maul is only a penalty if a defending player hits the ground first. If a maul collapses with an attacker going to ground first then that is not a penalty. Defenders are allowed to try and attempt to ground an attacking player in an attempt to stop a maul as long as the defender remains standing.

All infringement are penalties and all infringees are sinbinned (no warnings) for 5 mins.

I too have read the new proposals and to be honest think that most of them are garbage. The one that stinks the most is the proposal about 12 replacements - I mean why not just go for special teams and have about fifty players!?

Some of Gay-Guy's suggestions are interesting...

But I think that all of this comes down to the rule change that happened ages ago allowing players to play the ball when they have been tackled and gone to ground. You know those pop-up passes and stuff.

This I believe has lead to players holding onto the ball for longer on the ground and getting away with it. What should happen is that as soon as a player goes to ground he can place the ball but has to do so immediately. He is not allowed to shuffle his body around or hold the ball until his support arrives. If he is in the middle of placing the ball and a defender, on his feet, tries to grab the ball then the ball-holder has to release immediately or be penalised.

"All infringement are penalties and all infringees are sinbinned (no warnings) for 5 mins."

But Gay-Guy wouldn't this just mean that the defending side wouldn't risk contesting the ball when they are inside their 22? A lot of rucks come down to timing - one second you can contest the ball and the next second you can't - and sometimes only the ref can tell when that changes.

Surely the rules should be changed in favour of making the ball more contestable rather than punishing teams for trying to contest possession.

"...Defending players can come through the gate...step over players on the ground....stand on the other side of the ruck and pick up the opposition ball. If they fall over in any direction then they must retire back to their onside. If they are pushed away (yet still maintain their feet) from the ball arrival area of the attacking team then they must start again and retire to their onside..."

Gay-Guy - does this mean that I could come running up to the gate, take a flying leap over the pile of bodies, go past the ball and then come back to try and grab the ball? If this is so then watch for Phil Waugh to launch himself up and over like a scud missile at every ruck.

You raise some good ideas so please don't think that I am just shooting you down.

**Incoming**

Good points Big Ten. :bravo:

A person flying over the pile though the gate would have to land on their feet to legitimately pick up the ball. As I have stated....if they fall over or go out of the arrival area through their own or not their own fault then they have to retire back onside. Also the attacking players can prevent them coming through as well as pile them up to make more bodies like a wall. Ultimately the players guide would be to "step" over the players rather than flying scuds :lol: (which is crazy) therefore outlawed. Good noting though Big Ten :)

The risks of "contesting" the ball especially in your 22 are because the current rules allow too much "interpretation" My rules try and minimise interpretation. The harsh sinbining rule of mine for 5 mins is designed like the Ice Hockey power play. Not too long where it will be too much of a disadvantege but just long enough to act as a good deterent for cheats. No harsh consequences means more blatant cheating and attempts to bend the law. players will always play to bend the laws and see whether a deliberate rule break is in the best interests of the team. So this needs to be curbed.

That is a good point Gay-Guy - if you remove all of the confusion and then there is deliberate and obvious offending then the punishment would be acceptable.

But I wonder whether it will be possible, and also desirable.

Even in sports that are relatively simple there are still issues that are raised on a regular basis.

And also would sport be as much fun if there wasn't a fair amount of controversy. I mean - how would we deal with the fact that we lost without accusing the other side of cheating and the ref robbing us!?

Originally posted by BigTen@Feb 20 2006, 10:58 PM
That is a good point Gay-Guy - if you remove all of the confusion and then there is deliberate and obvious offending then the punishment would be acceptable.

But I wonder whether it will be possible, and also desirable.

Even in sports that are relatively simple there are still issues that are raised on a regular basis.

And also would sport be as much fun if there wasn't a fair amount of controversy. I mean - how would we deal with the fact that we lost without accusing the other side of cheating and the ref robbing us!?
Yeah true....the psychological side of rugby should never be underestimated. Playing the ref and trying to cheat is all part of the game and also brings more into the sport the darker side of humanity......manipulation.

Great new rules there GG - will you submit them?

I think the 12 replacement thing will be similar to league so a 22 man squad but the ability to make up to 12 'interchanges'.

Latest posts