• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Breaking into the 1st XV

4 Jelliott

I played regularly for for the B team last season but next years coach wants me to push for the A team.

I played at lock for half of last season and I believe its my best position but my coach moved me to 8 so I could get more ball.

Im 15, about 6ft 3 and 85kg.

I would say my strengths are my pace, line out abilities and ball carrying.
Also I set up a teammate with a miss pass last year!

I think my weaker areas are:

Tackling (was v.good in the B's but not so good against big fast guys in the A's)
Rucking
Catching the high ball/Kick offs

which of these areas do you think I should concentrate most on and how, in order to break into the A team?

Just work on your complete all-round rugby skills. If that doesn't work break the legs of the people ahead of you in the A team, eg. during a ruck :p

Look you are a show poney who doesnt like the rough stuff. Try badminton or even darts if you like hanging around big men.

If you're going to be playing back row then its your tackling and rucking that need the work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Look you are a show poney who doesnt like the rough stuff. Try badminton or even darts if you like hanging around big men.[/b]
That was a bit harsh mate ;)

If you were good against the B guys then you should be just as good against the bigger faster guys. You just need the bravery and composure to hit the guys who are running hard and your high ball problem can be solved easly. A few hours of someone thumping a ball at you and you'll come on loads.

Your're 15 so I guess that means you'll be playing at a Colts Level / Doing GCSE's (guessing that because your country says UK) next year rather than a First XV standard. If I'm wrong then never mind this will still apply.

So I've just finished my Colts Season and played in both As and Bs. I found there is often a difference in size. A teamers are generally bigger, stronger and faster. But a good technique in the tackle will mean they feel just as easy to bring down as the smaller guys in the Bs. Your're a forward but your abilities seem to lie in the backs department though everyone needs to be able to tackle. Trick for tackling is not to run at them full pace and get shrugged off. Let them come to you, then go low and sit em down. If your too afraid to do that then just wrap them up and pull them down. A diving tackle will always bring your man down if you hit them, however they are easy to get out the way of so watch those.

Once you've tackled your man, if possible get back on your feet straight away and get over the ball, if you have no support, pick the ball up once your're on your feet and stay standing until you have support, then get the ball back.

Catching the ball has alot to do with confidence. If you think "I'm going to drop it" 9/10 times you will. Be confident, if it comes your way, call it so people keep out the way and bring it in. Then hit their line like a tackle breaking demon.

Tackling is easy. You must not rush into a tackle.. it's best if you have some time to 'stalk' them to judge what type of tackle is best. The best tackle is to hit them from the side or from an diagonal angle (never the front if you have a choice unless it's at pace brian lima style) just above the hip so they topple sideways.. it's very hard to hand-off and also you can make them go backwards if you make them lose their balance. Being a big guy yourself, don't be afraid to give a hit or take a hit. You will find moving from a B to A team difficult, it just seems more intense. I did exactly that.. was being lined-up for a county call-up and even got a MOTM. You just have to be consistent in the B team and when your break comes to step in, take it. After all, you are playing the same game.. chances are an area of your game is weak that's why you aren't in the A team.

I was one of the smallest players (10st and 5'10) but i was a great tackler. Attack is the best form of defence. When they are coming at you, size them up and then thump with all you've got from the side, but preferably from the frontside, not the backside. You must be aggressive and not afraid. Aggression is a great thing for tackling. Look at Dylan Hartley.. i don't like his attitude much as he is a bit OTT.. gives away stroppy penalties.. but watch him and see what i mean.

If you hit him harder than he hits you, you'll be fine.. just hit him intelligently from the side or an angle if poss.. watch his big ass tumble. But make sure it's not high and that you don't hit lower than the hip, or you'll be in trouble.

Latest posts