Brendan Cannon told to apologise to Peter de Villiers

Gavin

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Barbarians
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...th-puppet-and-clown-jibes-20100723-10nqj.html

Former Wallabies hooker Brendan Cannon is in hot water for branding Springboks coach Peter de Villiers a "clown" and a puppet over his latest outlandish comments.
While Tri Nations governing body SANZAR may censure de Villiers for suggesting South Africa were victims of a World Cup conspiracy in their two losses in New Zealand, Cannon has been forced to apologise for his response.
The 42-Test hooker will issue an on-air apology to the Springboks camp after ridiculing the coach following his extraordinary comments on Fox Sports Rugby Club program on Wednesday night.
De Villiers said: "I've got my own observations about the last two Tests, and maybe I can't say it in public, but we do have a World Cup in New Zealand next year and maybe it was the right thing for them to win the games so they can attract more people to the games next year."
A panellist on The Rugby Club, Cannon upset South African officials by belittling de Villiers and suggesting he was a puppet coach.
"I can't believe that senior players like John Smit and Victor Matfield allow themselves to be controlled by this guy," he said.
"He is a clown. He surely does not coach the team."

Springboks spokesman Anthony Mackaiser on Thursday delivered Fox Sports, a Tri Nations broadcast rights holder, an ultimatum that it immediately apologise or no longer have on-air access to South African players or management.
A Fox Sports spokesman on Friday confirmed the apology would occur at the start of Saturday night's Test coverage at Suncorp Stadium.
"Canno will make a public apology when we open the coverage on Saturday night," he said.
De Villiers, though, remains on thin ice of his own with SANZAR investigating his comments, which have stemmed from his frustrations over refereeing and judicial decisions in New Zealand.
He's been shaking his head at why northern hemisphere referees have controlled the opening two Tests which the All Blacks won comfortably after South Africa had men sin-binned early in both.
Lock Bakkies Botha was also suspended for the entire Tri Nations for headbutting Jimmy Cowan in the 32-12 loss in Auckland while winger Jean de Villiers was banned for three weeks for a dangerous tackle on Rene Ranger in the 31-17 Wellington defeat.
De Villiers was particularly unhappy how Irish referees Alan Lewis and Alain Rolland controlled the breakdown in both matches.

Another Irishman, George Clancy, will control Saturday night's clash with the Wallabies in Brisbane, where the Springboks haven't won since 1971.
De Villiers today attempted to protect himself from possible punishment by denying he suggested the All Blacks had been favoured to generate interest for the World Cup and claiming his comments were misinterpreted.
"While I have also expressed unhappiness over some refereeing issues, this is a separate matter altogether and has no bearing on what I said," he said in a SARU media statement.
"My comment during The Rugby Club interview was based on the general view that part of the success of any World Cup event rests on the fact that the host nation has a winning team.
"Nevertheless, I regret that this may have created the wrong impression and raised undue concern for SANZAR and the RWC 2011 organisers."

Whatever happened to free speech?

Now does everyone finally understand why i think the players are unhappy? God how i wish Robbie Deans was our coach. This fool is destroying the Springbok all by himself. He just can't shut up.

Lets be clear about this; an apology is an expression of regret or remorse.... FREELY GIVEN!

A apology extracted by threats and pecuniary blackmail is not an apology at all, its a forced statement!

Brendon Cannon does not feel any remorse at all for what he said, and nor should he... he was speaking the truth

Everyone knows de Villiers is a ********, and I would venture to say that he would not survive as a head coach in Rugby in any other country.

Now does everyone finally understand why i think the players are unhappy? God how i wish Robbie Deans was our coach. This fool is destroying the Springbok all by himself. He just can't shut up.
It's at times like this that I feel glad to have Gatland as coach... And that's quite a rare occurrence for me!

Everyone knows de Villiers is a ********, and I would venture to say that he would not survive as a head coach in Rugby in any other country.

That's because no other country appoints coaches based on the color of their skins. The only reason he has not been axed is because then SARU will be the ones made to look foolish. Everybody knows he was a political choice, as it was even made public.

South Africa have good coaches they dont need Robbie Deans and besides they've got a good amount of talented players. Well you dont have to worry with Deans when it comes to the media cos he doesnt say much. However I think the boks would be interesting with Deans as coach.

What happened to Jake White?...did they feel he represented racism because of his last name and decided to replace him with a black man in PDV?..

I think they should go with Dick Muir, Rassie Erasmus and Allistair Coetzee!

I think they should go with Dick Muir, Rassie Erasmus and Allistair Coetzee!

I think Rassie is too gimmicky to be a test coach and I have my doubt about Dick Muir. Allistair Coetzee is a great coach. I'd have either Allistair or Slaptjips coach the backs with Heynecke Meyer head coach and either Gert Smal or Mathew Proudfoot coach the forwards.. Os and Vlok to be scrum and kicking coaches.

Guess my picks show my support of the Stormers and respect for the Bulls coaching staff LOL.

South Africa: The only country that loses it's World Cup winning coach, after winning the tournament.

In short: SARU publicly advertised Jake White's position after the World Cup, without White resigning, or being told about it. White was ****** off, so he resigned. Hoskins smiled, looked for a coach of color, and immediately appointed him.

I think Rassie is too gimmicky to be a test coach and I have my doubt about Dick Muir. Allistair Coetzee is a great coach. I'd have either Allistair or Slaptjips coach the backs with Heynecke Meyer head coach and either Gert Smal or Mathew Proudfoot coach the forwards.. Os and Vlok to be scrum and kicking coaches.

Guess my picks show my support of the Stormers and respect for the Bulls coaching staff LOL.

yeah, I shoot out those names without any order... I think Dick Muir is a good attacking coach (as he showed coaching the sharks), he could keep that job, and the head coach for me has to be Coetzee.

I love the way the Stormers plays, they play quite simple (spreading the ball across the field and find holes like Wales), the most entertaining and effective (both) team in S14...
Ok the Reds too, I love them!! :D

I didn't know the true story about White... some journalist here just wrote he asked SARU to be released cause he didn't want to coach for a while.
I had thought "well, he is at his top, maybe he just want a rest and do not burn quickly", but now this story is more clear!

Pieter De Villiers has been riding the wave created by Jake White. He is f... lucky to have the quality of players he has at his disposal.
Funny, I said he was a clown and that he was running a circus last week. I am glad to see that Canon agrees with me! De Villiers is a di.. and Canon should not have to apologise if anything "Snor" needs to apologise to SA and the world for his sh.. selection, out of position strategies and pathetic comments!

Its De Villiers who should apologise not Cannon ... Cannon spoke his mind while De Villiers has appeared to have lost his years ago..i belive jericho posted up a few quotes of his a while back...he is a walking brainfart..

Jer1cho - sounds like you're a bit down in the dumps about your team. Just remember you've got two home games v AU and 1 v NZ to go. There's plenty to go in the tournament yet. Although best you get some bonus points whilst on tour.

RE PDV: If he's a puppet then who's really steering the ship? I'm not saying he's not a puppet - it's a genuine question. Whoever it was did a pretty good job last year.

Latest posts