Brent Impey Brands NH Nations Colonialists

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
Strong words here from the NZ Rugby Chairman.

Excerpt from WOL, link below.

New Zealand Rugby chairman Brent Impey says the treatment of Pacific nations by Northern Hemisphere sides borders on "colonialism".

Impey was asked about the failure of the likes of Fiji, Samoa and Tonga to make the quarter-finals of this year's showpiece tournament, and claims eligibility rules mean too many of Pacific island nations are being denied their best players.

"There should be eligibility rules which allow players who've played for Tier 1 countries, such as the All Blacks, to go back after say a year and play for their countries of origin," he told Radio New Zealand.

"Think how much stronger Tonga would have been had Charles Piutau been in this side, Samoa also with the likes of Steven Luatua… it would have made a huge, huge difference.

"You can point the finger straight at the likes of Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England.

"You look at them, you look at their teams and what they have done in terms of rules that suit themselves.

"I'm very tempted — I probably won't go quite this far — but I'm very tempted to say it's virtually colonialism."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-world-cup-evening-headlines-17089894

I like how he tried to name players from the home nations but he doesn't actually know any

I guess he forgot about Australia who are a literal Pacific Island smorgasbord.

"I'm very tempted — I probably won't go quite this far — but I'm very tempted to say it's virtually colonialism."
This should be the caption under the entry for "prevaricating" in the dictionary ... or at least, I'm tempted to say that, but probably won't.

I have read a lot about the Pacific Islands nations getting screwed, but I haven't heard any of these rules he's referring to...

This should be the caption under the entry for "prevaricating" in the dictionary ... or at least, I'm tempted to say that, but probably won't.

I have read a lot about the Pacific Islands nations getting screwed, but I haven't heard any of these rules he's referring to...
I think he's talking about residency and not being able to 'go back' and represent your country of birth after the 'big boys' (funnily enough the home nations in Impey's eyes) have used them up.

He's a funny guy... unless he is actually being serious about this :D.

I like that his name is "Impey."
latest

Just to be clear here, this is the same Charles Piatau with 17 or so All Blacks caps and the Stephen Lautua who is likely starting for the All Blacks on Saturday?

Do I have that right?

I'm really actually unsure what it us we're being accused of doing wrong here in all honestly.

Just to be clear here, this is the same Charles Piatau with 17 or so All Blacks caps and the Stephen Lautua who is likely starting for the All Blacks on Saturday?

Do I have that right?

I'm really actually unsure what it us we're being accused of doing wrong here in all honestly.

Is he?

Deffo the Charles Piatau though.

He's just trying to attack the NH for the sake of it.

Its really about the world league. NZ have been ****** off since it got rejected.

I think he's talking about residency and not being able to 'go back' and represent your country of birth after the 'big boys' (funnily enough the home nations in Impey's eyes) have used them up.

He's a funny guy... unless he is actually being serious about this :D.

As I understand it (and I may be wrong as I haven't followed it) but both NZ and Australia have been proposing a change in rules that would allow retiring and fringe internationals to go back and play for their country of origin hence the mention of Piutau and Luatua as they have both wanted to do this, apparently the idea is being opposed by NH countries.

On top of this there are issues with Pacific players being pressured by French clubs to either make themselves unavailable for their national teams or risk losing their contracts.

Luatua and Piutau who were both born and raised in, and capped by.... New Zealand

What exactly does the NH have to do with any of this?

Edit: whoops, didn't see the above. So his umbrage is with clubs not countries? I guess I can see that.

Still think it's a dumb as **** idea though.

Last edited:
Ugh! So the facking residency rule that everyone despises must be lengthened to 5 years for the colonialists, but lessened to one year for the PI while the players reside somewhere else other than that Pacific Island they want to play for???

I may be a little bit mad here but won't allowing retiring or not good enough players dilute the PI teams rather than enhance them?

By that I mean players will encouraged even more to go try out their hand for Tier 1 godhood and then PI's will only ever have the Tier 1 castoffs and never be able to compete with those nations. The answer as always is stricter eligibility laws but your not going to stop migration of people.

As I understand it (and I may be wrong as I haven't followed it) but both NZ and Australia have been proposing a change in rules that would allow retiring and fringe internationals to go back and play for their country of origin hence the mention of Piutau and Luatua as they have both wanted to do this, apparently the idea is being opposed by NH countries.

On top of this there are issues with Pacific players being pressured by French clubs to either make themselves unavailable for their national teams or risk losing their contracts.
I have heard about this proposal and although I'm #teampi, I just struggle with the idea that a player could represent more than 1 country. I'm much more of the mindset that these guys should just want to rep their country from the off and tell NZ, Oz... and the home nations (?) to **** off in the first place.

Now I'm not as naive as to think it is that easy... the money and prestige of being an All Black, the MONEY of being a Wallaby etc. when your living the islander life... I get it. I just think World Rugby should be carrying the water here! There has to be a way where Rugby, so well stocked by Pacific Islanders (between 20%-25% of pros world wide) gives back to the islands AND ensures that the money goes to the right places (god only knows how that last part gets implemented).

If the money is suitably provided and managed into infrastructure within the Islands, I like to think the All Blacks, Ozzie's... and yes the home nations if it makes Impey feel any better wouldn't be able to skim the cream off of the top!

Latest posts