Brian O'Driscoll Test Cap Record

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I found myself looking at the top capped players in test rugby just there and realised it read:

George Gregan - 139
Brian O'Driscoll - 138 (Lions tests included)

Basically I've seen nothing about O'Driscoll going to equal and subsequently break Gregan's record in the press, I may have just completely overlooked it but I can't find anything. Basically I'm starting this thread because I am wondering why a big deal isn't being made of this like was made when Gregan and Leonard broke the record, is it because 8 of the caps are Lions caps and that makes it less impressive or just that I think this is far more interesting than it is?!

There was some stuff him becoming the most capped player for Ireland, I expect when he actually is about to become the most capped player and it'll be reflected on when he retires. Also everyone knows it's unlikely to last as many years as Gregan's did, which I suppose wasn't even that long really.

Seriously cmac! How didn't you see the sarcastic comments coming! Now all we're missing is the he's no Gerber/McCaw/Carter insert appropriate name for country, oh and something about how he'll whine about this.

Seriously cmac! How didn't you see the sarcastic comments coming! Now all we're missing is the he's no Gerber/McCaw/Carter insert appropriate name for country, oh and something about how he'll whine about this.

I would rather insert Brad Thorn/Bakkies Botha to the mix.

Both played over 100 international matches. Both have won a World Cup, Super Rugby, Heineken Cup and French top 14 ***le... And then there are other trophies like the Currie Cup and ITM cup to add to the very long list.

O'Driscoll winning his umpteenth cap doesn't make such a big impression if he doesn't have a lot of silverware to add to his long career.

It's like praising a dog that gets to the age of 20 (human) years but the dog still craps in the house, pees on the sofa and can't sit or even fetch the ball...

@BG8 I definitely did but it appears to me that the top capped player in the world record only counts when you have played in a team that's good enough and has won a world cup! 2 grandslams, a Lions tour and an unreasonable abount of triple crowns isn't enough! ;)

Okay, I will say it. Props for Brian O'Driscoll. 138 test caps is amazing and when Gregan retired I thought his record would have stood for even longer. To top it off Brian O'Driscol has consistantly been in the top 15-20 centres in the world during most of that time, and even if people say that him sticking around to get this record ultimately harms Ireland's next RWC chances - it's certainly a very impressive personal achievement. He'll always be remembered by me with the David Hayes, Ronan O'Garas and Chris Paterson's as a man with impressive longevity in tightly contested positions.

Okay, I will say it. Props for Brian O'Driscoll. 138 test caps is amazing and when Gregan retired I thought his record would have stood for even longer. To top it off Brian O'Driscol has consistantly been in the top 15-20 centres in the world during most of that time, and even if people say that him sticking around to get this record ultimately harms Ireland's next RWC chances - it's certainly a very impressive personal achievement. He'll always be remembered by me with the David Hayes, Ronan O'Garas and Chris Paterson's as a man with impressive longevity in tightly contested positions.

Well theres something I never though I'd heard you say :D

Well theres something I never though I'd heard you say :D

It's true too! I mean it. You look at guys like McCaw and Carter and think 'sure they got 100-115 caps' but they only had to be better than guys like Daniel Braid, Marty Holah, Chris Masoe, Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, Nick Evans and Luke McAlister. Brian O'Driscoll gets 138 with guys like Darren Cave, Kieran Lewis and Ian Whitten breathing down his neck- not to mention every outside back which plays a token role at centre!

Last edited:
It's true too! I mean it. You look at guys like McCaw and Carter and think 'sure they got 100-115 caps' but they only had to be better than guys like Daniel Braid, Marty Holah, Chris Masoe, Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, Nick Evans and Luke McAlister. Brian O'Driscoll gets 138 with guys like Darren Cave, Kieran Lewis and Ian Whitten breathing down his neck- not to mention everyoutside back which plays a token tole at centre!

I don't care about the rest of the post, thats why I put it in bold. You said it.

I don't care about the rest of the post, thats why I put it in bold. You said it.

Of course, I am nothing but gracious in my praise of O'Driscoll. Ask anybody.

@BG8 I definitely did but it appears to me that the top capped player in the world record only counts when you have played in a team that's good enough and has won a world cup! 2 grandslams, a Lions tour and an unreasonable abount of triple crowns isn't enough!
wink.gif

I thought that was Jonathan Davies?

Jokes.

Last edited:
It's true too! I mean it. You look at guys like McCaw and Carter and think 'sure they got 100-115 caps' but they only had to be better than guys like Daniel Braid, Marty Holah, Chris Masoe, Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, Nick Evans and Luke McAlister. Brian O'Driscoll gets 138 with guys like Darren Cave, Kieran Lewis and Ian Whitten breathing down his neck- not to mention every outside back which plays a token role at centre!

Talking about Dan Carter's competition in a world where Stephen Donald played in a World Cup Final is a bold move.

Latest posts