• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bring Back Rucking

Q

QLD

I'll admit to all the NH posters up here that the ELV's stink. They didn't do anything to clean up the breakdown mess and turned the game into league.

I was watching the Australia vs NZ 2000 bledisoe game and with rucking players just roll away straight away. Nowadays instead of getting a good rucking, players are content with laying around the rucks and copping the penalty.

Chris Latham got sent off in 2008 for rucking a prop, and he had rubber tags on.... the commentator said "he's the best prop in the world, he would be offended if he didn't ruck him." I agree, our coach tells us to take it out in blood if they lie on the ball.

I believe rucking would sort out the break down area. I don't know why they ever got rid of it.

I have to disagree with you Dale. I think many people see 'rucking' through rose tinted specs. Rucking is still allowed today, LAW 16 - Ruck, but players should ruck the ball and not other players. What people really want to see the return of is being able to kick or stamp on a member of the opposition who is killing the ball, normally out of frustration.

In the days before professionalism an injury could mean a player being off work and in theory without an income. Players didn't really want to get a good shoeing. However, and I've done this myself, in big games you'd take one for the team if needed. With players now being paid to play and with stakes so high the likelihood of them being willing to still lie on the wrong side will be the same with or without 'rucking'.

The way to sort out the breakdown is for referees to be stricter and sin bin offenders. Playing with 12 or 13 players for 10 minutes and shipping 10 points will sharpen up people moving away from the breakdown.

Rucking is sore.
I have some photos somewhere from when I got stamped to f*** when we played Howe of Fife. They beat us, but it was an amazing game.
I also have massive scar on my left shin from where over the course of a game I had a cut on it turned into a massive chunk out my shin...down to the bone.
Both of these are examples of what happens when rucking is allowed.

In short, rucking is very much bad chat.

There are 2 types of player.

1. Those who can take rucking
2. Rugby League players

@blindside6 I think what Dales talking about is bringing back the ability to ruck another player to get to the ball. Law16 just explains the ruck area but being able to ruck another player ensures he won't lye all over the ball again or try to put his hands in there.

@dundeesmiffy Of course ruckings sore it's suppose to hurt it's not suppose to tickle. If you can't handle getting rucked it'll make you move out of the ruck quick smart and that's what will make the game better.

Saw on tv a few nights ago the media interviewing Steve Hansen asking him what he thinks the irb could do to clean up the game and his answer was "simply, bring back rucking". I agree 100% bring it back than you wouldn't have idiots slowing the ball down or trying to turn it over by lying all over it.. There'll be alot less penalties so the game will flow instead of start stopping all the time at the rucks with no one sure of the reasons for the call.

Rucking?? Perhaps this is just something that Americans without satellite don't know, or my own unique ignorance.. Rucking as in using your boots to stomp/thrash people killing the ball on the ground after a tackle? We/I know that as 'raking'. We call rucking the actual engaging of players of the opposite team and trying to drive over the ball. As in, the player is tackled and 'a ruck is formed'. Am I off here? I really had no idea what you guys were talking about until the end of the thread. Weird. Thanks for any clear up.

When a ruck is formed you can only use your feet to get the ball out, this is called rucking, if someone is lying on the ball you ruck the **** out of them so they get off it, Raking is a less used term over here.

They should bring it back for over 16/18 at least, so many times when i played people intentionally lying all over the ball in rucks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 11 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I believe rucking would sort out the break down area. I don't know why they ever got rid of it.[/b]

New Zealand packs fill of South Islanders were simply too good at it.

Sorry if a player is on your side of the scrum not allowing the ball to be released they should be rucked out of the way, would certainly stop a lot of abuse being sent the Ref's way as the rucks turn into a lottery on the penalty stakes. How many times do we see a promising attack breakdown due to an opposition player being all over the ball? Bring it back, the game isn't wendy ball out there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 11 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
@dundeesmiffy Of course ruckings sore it's suppose to hurt it's not suppose to tickle. If you can't handle getting rucked it'll make you move out of the ruck quick smart and that's what will make the game better.[/b]

What kind of openside would I be if i did that :p

What I was trying to say is that a lot of people misinterpret "rucking" as stamping the f*** out of someone and not to the end of getting the man out of the way but to inflict pain on him. You don't even get to kick people when they are down in MMA, why should you be able to do it in rugby?

I think a couple people that have never seen or played Rugby before it went professional are getting confused with the words ruck and rucking.

This is just for those that may not know but a ruck is formed when players from both sides engage with the tackled player on the ground.

Rucking
is the stomping motion of a player/players towards the opposition player/players or ball while on the ground. Also to ruck someone is this same motion so that's probably where some might get a bit confused or to get rucked is the same too so I see where some can get it twisted.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 11 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'll admit to all the NH posters up here that the ELV's stink. They didn't do anything to clean up the breakdown mess and turned the game into league.

I was watching the Australia vs NZ 2000 bledisoe game and with rucking players just roll away straight away. Nowadays instead of getting a good rucking, players are content with laying around the rucks and copping the penalty.[/b]

Rugby goes down?

Oh Sh*t

http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/10/1044/MZ4L000Z/oh-****.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think a couple people that have never seen or played Rugby before it went professional are getting confused with the words ruck and rucking.

This is just for those that may not know but a ruck is formed when players from both sides engage with the tackled player on the ground.

Rucking
is the stomping motion of a player/players towards the opposition player/players or ball while on the ground. Also to ruck someone is this same motion so that's probably where some might get a bit confused or to get rucked is the same too so I see where some can get it twisted.[/b]

As a qualifier I can ensure you that I played before professionalism, not sure if I can actually remember a lot of it though :D

But I have to take issue with your definition of rucking. Rucking, in the modern game, is when players in a ruck try to win or retain the ball with their feet, without being guilty of foul play. A rucking player must not step on anyone on the ground and any rucking must be done near the ball.

The previous practice of clearing out bodies with the feet might still work at a lower level but in todays litiginous society could be risky if someone took a serious shoeing. However in the professional game it won't work as guys will be happy to take the punishment to ensure wins.

I play at a very grassroots level, I still get to ruck.

Depends entirely on the referee though. I generally spot the referee, point out the player killing the ball, then get stomping if the referee is happy for people to kill the ball.

If I'm doing it, then I fully expect to feel some studs.

@Blindside6 Yeah I know rucking is the engangement of players from both sides trying to retain or gain the ball it's always been like that but it has various meanings and I think that's where alot of people are getting confused. They need to bring it back anyway because it sucks when someones lying all over the ball and the only way to get them out of there quick smart is to ruck the crap out of them.

I think it would work great at professional level it's just that everythings so pc these days and you've got things like no rucking someone could get hurt and the blood bin lol who invented that wtf!. I remember when you'd get a injury get patched up on the field than your back out there. These days you see some of the players going back into the lockers if they're bleeding too much, damn that just get a bandage and jump back on the field.

I don't see what the problem would be with bringing back rucking. You can just bring it back at a professional level and the whole breakdown area would clean up and McCaw would stop cheating. They got rid of it thinking the soccer mom's would think rugby is safe to play but it's done the opposite.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 15 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
@Blindside6 Yeah I know rucking is the engangement of players from both sides trying to retain or gain the ball it's always been like that but it has various meanings and I think that's where alot of people are getting confused. They need to bring it back anyway because it sucks when someones lying all over the ball and the only way to get them out of there quick smart is to ruck the crap out of them.

I think it would work great at professional level it's just that everythings so pc these days and you've got things like no rucking someone could get hurt and the blood bin lol who invented that wtf!. I remember when you'd get a injury get patched up on the field than your back out there. These days you see some of the players going back into the lockers if they're bleeding too much, damn that just get a bandage and jump back on the field.[/b]

I agree with you up to a point, in that, some areas of the game are becoming almost sterilised by the application of the Laws. Rugby is after all a contact sport. But I think you need you look at why you want to bring back "rucking". If the sole reason is to clean up the breakdown and release quick ball then I still argue the best way to do this is to agree that referees will referee the breakdown more strictly than they currently do. Players will roll away if they think they will get sin binned. If however the reason is to deal out a bit of retribution on the opposition who you consider to be cheating then yes bring back "rucking".

As for the blood bin, I think I remember that being introduced as a precaution to stop the spread of blood borne diseases eg hepatitis, AIDS etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 16 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't see what the problem would be with bringing back rucking. You can just bring it back at a professional level and the whole breakdown area would clean up and McCaw would stop cheating. They got rid of it thinking the soccer mom's would think rugby is safe to play but it's done the opposite.[/b]

Sorry Dale I don't follow your argument at all. I don't believe for one second that the risk of getting some rake marks will prevent McCaw from doing what he does so well. He's a professional who is assessed on the number of games that he wins, the more he wins the greater his 'value'. With all the medical facilities available to the modern professional a few stud marks is nothing. He would continue to 'cheat' to achieve his goal and accept the pain as part of the game.

Latest posts