Brisbane Rugby 10's

Andre8

Academy Player
Country Flag
Italy
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi People!
What are your thoughts on the upcoming Brisbane 10's?
There is lot of hype around it and honestly I can't wait to go to Brisbane and watch it live!! Anyone else is coming?

I really hope the tournament will have the same success that the Auckland 9's has. Unfortunately the tournament just got hit with the bad news that the All Blacks players will not be released to play the tournament because of they haven't rested for 12 full weeks after the end of last season...it makes sense, but when you are using the likes of Izzy Dagg and Jerome Kaino to advertise the tournament, you expect them to play and that's why people bought the tickets..:mad:

Any thoughts?

Hi People!
What are your thoughts on the upcoming Brisbane 10's?
There is lot of hype around it and honestly I can't wait to go to Brisbane and watch it live!! Anyone else is coming?

I really hope the tournament will have the same success that the Auckland 9's has. Unfortunately the tournament just got hit with the bad news that the All Blacks players will not be released to play the tournament because of they haven't rested for 12 full weeks after the end of last season...it makes sense, but when you are using the likes of Izzy Dagg and Jerome Kaino to advertise the tournament, you expect them to play and that's why people bought the tickets..:mad:

Any thoughts?

I was surprised they were even given clearance to play in a tournament other than Super and rugby championship. I know Dan Carter wasn't allowed to go snowboarding!

Be good to see Steve Larkham and Andrew Walker out of retirement.

I was surprised they were even given clearance to play in a tournament other than Super and rugby championship. I know Dan Carter wasn't allowed to go snowboarding!

Be good to see Steve Larkham and Andrew Walker out of retirement.

Rosters will be announced this week, so until then I still have hope of seeing some of the ABs in Brisbane!
I still don't know what to think about the wildcards players..obviously I am happy to see the likes of Larham, Latham, Walker etc etc come out of retirement, I am just afraid that they will be an easy targets for attacking teams..

If it is, I imagine it'll be on Sky, because Fox is doing it locally.

The Brumbies are the first team to announce their roster and it's a very strong one!!

Henry Speight
Tevita Kuridrani
Kyle Godwin
Tomás Cubelli
Tom Banks
Scott Sio
Nic Jooste
Joe Powell
Andrew Smith
Lausii Taliauli
Aidan Toua
Jordan Jackson-Hope
Robbie Abel
Allan Alaalatoa
Chris Alcock
Jarrad Butler
Tom Staniforth
Blake Enever
Saia Fainga’a
Lolo Fakaosilea
Ben Hyne
Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin
Nic Mayhew
Jordan Smiler
Stephen Larkham (wildcard)
Andrew Walker (wildcard)

The number of a squad is 18, and substitution is unlimited. I think 15s also should significantly increase the number of a squad and substitutions must be unlimited.

Last edited:
Having watched a bit of it this weekend, I dont think the concept really works. Its purely a personal perspective and others may disagree, but i found it grndingly boring, it doesnt have the excitement and freedom of 7's and it lacks the intensity and power of 15s. Crowds looked very small as well.

I suspect the other thing that may spell the death knell for this tournament is the serious injury toll just before the Super Rugby season, I can think of at least 4 injuries that look like seaon enders for players and I dont think clubs will be keen on risking that each pre-season.

...mate, players get injured in preseason games all the time...
...the Global Tens has a four year agreement to be played in Brisbane and it's only going to get bigger...60,000 people in attendance not too bad for the first year...
Can understand Ausssies not being too happy with the tournament though given none of their teams made the finals...

Next year they're talking 16 teams as opposed to 14 and introducing another PI team maybe Fiji and another European team perhaps from England...

The rules which should be changed:

Substitutions should be done through dead-ball-line
Substitutions should be always OK, like Hockey, Futsal, Ice Hockey, etc.
The number of squad should be increased to 21.

7s -- 7*2+1=15
10s -- 10*2+1=21
15s -- 15*2+1=31

...mate, players get injured in preseason games all the time...
...the Global Tens has a four year agreement to be played in Brisbane and it's only going to get bigger...60,000 people in attendance not too bad for the first year...
Can understand Ausssies not being too happy with the tournament though given none of their teams made the finals...

Next year they're talking 16 teams as opposed to 14 and introducing another PI team maybe Fiji and another European team perhaps from England...

Obviously players get injured whenever they play, therefore playing more tournaments increases the risk of losing key players for your main comp, in this case I think Super Rugby teams will be very unhappy with the added risk of loss of key players from a tournament like this.

You may be right about the crowds, and I suspect the only real driver with tournaments like this is the TV audiences anyway, as I said I found it pretty tedious to watch and I dont see it catching on like 7's has, but I could be entirely wrong.

The comment about aussie fans is a pretty poor attempt at humour if thats what it was, otherwise it was just a cheap shot which fell short. Its a pity when people resort to those sort of tribal insults, something I have always loved about playing and watching rugby was the lack of the sort of purile tribalism common to so many other sports. I played a fair bit of my rugby in NZ and while I am an aussie and follow the Tah's, the Chiefs are my 'second' team and my comments were in no way a reflection of the fact that none of the finalists were aussie teams.

I really think the season is long enough now without trying to bleed the sport dry by squeezing a 'built for pay TV' tounament into the calendar like this, I guess we will see over the next couple of years whether I am corect or not!

Well nobody put a gun to your head and told you to watch the games. I suspect suffering the indignity of losing twice on Day 1 probably slightly skewed your opinion about 10s don't you think. Maybe your expectations were unrealistic in the first place... You probably have reason for concern going into a Super Rugby campaign losing to a Japanese team in preseason as well. (At least you managed to squeak past the Rebels although that was a very close thing..) and your negative comments probaby reflect a deep concern about the readiness of your team. Is Folau the try scoring machine he once was. Probably not. You've also lost Polota Nau, Beale, Palau , (after last year losing Ashley Cooper) so the Tahs are only a shell of it's former self . It could be a very long season for you and the Brisbane 10s has highlighted that fact. Perhaps you should watch the NRL instead. Although the Queensland teams look very strong this year - so does Canberra and Melbourne...NSW is'nt the force it once was in rugby or league unfortunately...Soccer they're doing fabulously.

I didn't know what to expect but in the end I actually think it was pretty good. Not just as a chiefs supporter - I mean in that respect the joy of winning the thing was kinda offset by losing two players to what are likely season ending injuries, Brad weber is a huge loss, despite TKB being preferred by the ABs weber was the #1 halfback and more consistent performer at the chiefs IMO.

As far as the injuries go how do you look at it? I mean would it have been any better if these injuries happened during the first round of super rugby?

was a very interesting style of rugby and the teams that evolved their tactics the best were the ones that won games. The first chiefs game they tried to play like 7's and it backfired as the Rebels beat them playing with more structure and building phases. The crazy thing for the chiefs was how important the front rowers were, I think in many games they were the difference.

Few random thoughts.

Jordie Barrett is the real deal. No he doesn't have the all out speed of BB but hes such a complete player. Great skills & vision, really good in contact awesome defender. He hasn't even played a game of super rugby yet but I almost feel he is a lock in for the All Blacks already.

Breakout tournament for Shaun Stevenson, should see a lot more of him for the chiefs this year. His kicking was very impressive as well.

Three returning old school chiefs. Messam, TNW & Sweeney.

Liam Messam looks in seriously good nick, obviously bulked up again for 15s but hasn't lost any speed or ability to cover ground, likely shaken off the injury ****les he had last year. Made massive tackles, won turnovers, had some great carries and even worked as a playmaker at times. This is not the same guy hat got dropped for the 7's, if he keeps this form up an All Black recall wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Chiefs developed a few good young loose forwards last year and honestly I thought Messam would struggle to get gametime coming back and that he would end up in more of a mentor role. But forget that, in this shape and form I expect him to be back starting for the chiefs.

And in contrast from Messam the other Tim Nanai-Williams kinda failed to fire, you would think 10s would suit him but it just didn't click for him. He may struggle to get gametime.

Dwayne Sweeney - I have never been much of a fan of Sweeney but he did surprise me at times. He looks overweight, never seen him so big. But he had surprising speed and seemed very hard to tackle with that extra bulk. he actually looks like he could be useful for the chiefs. historically I Always thought he wasn't a distributor at all and when he played at 12 he really hurt the chiefs.

Nehe looked good for the canes. Hunt for the crusaders looks an interesting player, where will he fit in?

Didn't see much from Digby Ioane, I do get the feeling he may turn out a bit of a dud signing for the crusaders but I guess we will wait and see.

Last edited:
Well nobody put a gun to your head and told you to watch the games....

WOW! I didnt expect such a childish and trolling response on this forum. Are you 12 years old or something? Maybe you are not aware that most people who have played rugby and love our game dont engage in that sort of infantile tribalism? If you are not interested in having a serious discussion about the pros and cons of the 10's comp then perhaps you should hop back on your playstation? I have expressed my view that its neither as exciting and quick as 7's, nor as intense or entertaining as 15's. I also raised the issue of serious season ending injuries for Super teams being a disincentive to participate.

Instead of making a whole lot of nonsensical assumptions based on the primary team I support in Super Rugby you would be better advised to actually respond with coherent, rational arguments to support your points of view about this tournament if they differ to mine.

Mate, i've already countered your arguments about crowd sizes and injuries= try to keep up.
Lashings of people showed up ...60. 000 people showed up... a good haul for the inaugural event..
It's totally valid to point out that it's only natural that the Tahs loss of form through key players having left the franchise will affect how Tahs fans enjoy the game...

And despite the injuries suffered by the Chiefs players i don't hear the Chiefs camp complaining about the 10s concept.. and they were hardest hit. The Chiefs lost players last year as well - Laulala and Karpik in preseason training - injuries are just part of the game so you might be getting a bit too precious there.

...10s is now a fixture so you better get used to it ..It's only going to get bigger and better- expanding to 16 teams as early as next year. It's the perfect lead into Super Rugby. A big coup for Brisbane to be hosting the event - for NSW not so much.

Shortened versions of the game are the way of the future and the future is here. Something to do with how humans now have the attention spans of goldfish thanks to the internet - abbreviated versions of codes being a biproduct of that..
My advice to you is don't watch it next year if you find it grindingly boring. Maybe it's you that's boring...

injuries happen, they happen in trial games, in training, in the Gym. its not an excuse to stay home in bubblewrap. Would it have been better if the injuries happened in round 1 of super rugby? no...

10s was much better than I expected. A 7's tournament wouldn't have worked because many of the big guys would have been obsolete I think 10's was just right. Cut down the space enough so the big guys could compete and enough open spaces for trys and entertaining rugby.

the negatives in my opinion. Having it in Brisbane with the scorching heat, a couple more teams would have been good another from SA and one from Argentina maybe. Or out of the box Georgia, Fiji or Kenya even?

Apparently its a 4 year contract. Its going to be interesting to see how it evolves.

injuries happen, they happen in trial games, in training, in the Gym. its not an excuse to stay home in bubblewrap. Would it have been better if the injuries happened in round 1 of super rugby? no...

The obvious point is that this is a whole extra tounament, you cant assume that injuries that occured this week would simply have occured in round 1 had this not taken place!

As you say, will be interesting to see how and if it evolves, I think it was a dud and I dislike these expansions of sports that seem to be purely driven by pay TV revenues, but I could be well off the mark and the crowds may build and more teams from other comps may embrace the concept.

i find it very hard to believe 60,000 turned up, suncorp holds 52,000 so we're saying 30,000 each day? it looked no where near over half full on tv

don't know if there was much of a village outside or in the concourse but as the 7's has learnt, it people aren't there to actually watch the rugby they soon realise they can drink cheaper elsewhere.

I imagine it will become a development team kind of thing within the next seaon or two

also, not sure how much thought was put into holding it in brisbane in February....those temperatures are not good for anyone to be running around too much in

All in all i was really excited about it but was left a bit disappointed

Latest posts