• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bristol bottle it

Righto.

Yet again the playoff system f***ks us over. I hate the thing, and thats not bitterness based on this final but in general. I hate the notion the best team in the league, as lets be 100% honest we were the best in the league over the course of the season, doesn't get the end reward of a promotion that they deserve.

We paid the price for a terrible away leg, just could never click in our style of play in weather that never really allowed it. L. Welsh's "style" of rugby suited the conditions in both legs with bad weather making it easy for the L. Welsh forwards do all the work and then just ask Ross to kick it. If Welsh want to stay up they can't play like that or they'll get massacred.

We'll be back.

Righto.

Yet again the playoff system f***ks us over. I hate the thing, and thats not bitterness based on this final but in general. I hate the notion the best team in the league, as lets be 100% honest we were the best in the league over the course of the season, doesn't get the end reward of a promotion that they deserve.

We paid the price for a terrible away leg, just could never click in our style of play in weather that never really allowed it. L. Welsh's "style" of rugby suited the conditions in both legs with bad weather making it easy for the L. Welsh forwards do all the work and then just ask Ross to kick it. If Welsh want to stay up they can't play like that or they'll get massacred.

We'll be back.

You don't think 10 man rugby can survive in the Prem?

So, for example, 2006 Munster would get relegated from the prem?

2014-2015 season will be different, this seasons squad is the best ever I think Briz will storm into the premiership

Do we start debate why they bottled it this season now or wait until May?

For gawds sake, I hope they do it this year and I can have some belief that another once great club wrecked by poor management has some chance of getting back into the top league after what......4/5 years?!!!!

Six years this season. Wuss to be promoted.

And LW had the same playing budget as Bristol in the previous.

Two words: Andy Robinson.

The man is not a good coach yet somehow always seems to avoid blame. Sides he is in charge of don't seem to have any composure under pressure.

I hope Mathew Morgan jumps ship back to the pro 12 or moves to a top tier English league, he's too good to be there.

I hope Mathew Morgan jumps ship back to the pro 12 or moves to a top tier English league, he's too good to be there.

I'd say he's found his level, making flashy breaks and runs against weak opponents. In reality though he's a jumped up 7's player, and was exposed as such last week, or whenever he got a chance against big opposition for the Ospreys. Also his attitude absolutely sucks. I hope he doesn't come back to the Ospreys.

I seem your point, but he had been named player of the season for a reason. If he is consistently one of the better players on the pitch at this level, he can make the jump up. Although it had to be said he has been playing in a top championship team helps. Also I thought he was very effective at the Ospreys, and he's only what, 22-23? I was really impressed with him when he came on against South Africa, he was arguably the most exciting and dangerous player in the pitch, he was something different and he was no liability at all. They could not handle him and he made numerous breaks out of nothing without turning over ball, that's gold dust at international level. Reminded me of the Shane, who is probably the least defendable attacking player in history along side lomu (come at me bros). Maybe it would be a good idea for him to stay in he championship, learn his trade, gain confidence and then make the move up at the end of next season.

I seem your point, but he had been named player of the season for a reason. If he is consistently one of the better players on the pitch at this level, he can make the jump up. Although it had to be said he has been playing in a top championship team helps. Also I thought he was very effective at the Ospreys, and he's only what, 22-23? I was really impressed with him when he came on against South Africa, he was arguably the most exciting and dangerous player in the pitch, he was something different and he was no liability at all. They could not handle him and he made numerous breaks out of nothing without turning over ball, that's gold dust at international level. Reminded me of the Shane, who is probably the least defendable attacking player in history along side lomu (come at me bros). Maybe it would be a good idea for him to stay in he championship, learn his trade, gain confidence and then make the move up at the end of next season.

No he wasn't. Hence why few were all that bothered to see him leave. He and his family were also frequently whining on Twitter about not being in the team as well, which was bad for the team culture undermining Sam Davies who was fairly on merit preferred ahead him. He makes nice breaks, but his all round game is lacking. He doesn't control the game well. Doesn't pass well. Doesn't defend well. And his effectiveness is limited to either against bad teams or when the play breaks up late on, when that happens he looks good, but he's not going to be a player you want in big 6N or RWC knockout matches. Pointing out a cameo in a game Wales were heavily beaten in doesn't prove a lot either.

No he wasn't. Hence why few were all that bothered to see him leave. He and his family were also frequently whining on Twitter about not being in the team as well, which was bad for the team culture undermining Sam Davies who was fairly on merit preferred ahead him. He makes nice breaks, but his all round game is lacking. He doesn't control the game well. Doesn't pass well. Doesn't defend well. And his effectiveness is limited to either against bad teams or when the play breaks up late on, when that happens he looks good, but he's not going to be a player you want in big 6N or RWC knockout matches. Pointing out a cameo in a game Wales were heavily beaten in doesn't prove a lot either.

I guess I haven't seen him play a huge deal at Bristol unlike yourself so I can't argue with that. I also don't follow him on social media, so I'll take your word on that one. He shouldn't be bad mouthing his team mates, and especially his family shouldn't.

For Ospreys though, he was developing like any attacking very young fly half/full back does. He was displaying some extreme skill and promise, especially with his running, offloading and tactical kicking game, but also making errors and not being the full package. He might suit Full back more tbh.

Regarding the cameo for Wales, I would still say that having a strong impact on you debut against the second best team in the world when your team are underdogs showed that he can be effective at that level, at least intermittently. Disregarding young smaller players who personify the 'spark' but lacking in other areas is what could have kept players like Shane or Robinson out of their respected nations teams and could have stunted their potential development. Shane was over looked for a while until he was given a fair shot and ended up being pretty much the whole package. (Not saying Morgan can reach that, I would just like to see him be in a position going forward to have a chance).
The fact is Morgan will not ever have this shot if he stays in the second league of English rugby. You might not think he has what it takes, not even to make it to top regional level, but myself and many others including gatland seemed to see something in him.

Last edited:
Interesting thread when you read the comments about last year they could have been about this year.....!!

Two words: Andy Robinson.

The man is not a good coach yet somehow always seems to avoid blame. Sides he is in charge of don't seem to have any composure under pressure.
One year on and no change. Given Robinson had a pretty stellar squad another failure albeit narrow is not acceptable. Taxi for Mr Robinson?

Jason Robinson - Played: 231 Points Scored: 427

Shane Williams - Played: 336 Points Scored: 967

One of about 100 i could use

Both great players, let's leave it there.

:)

Yeah, I'm only messing. As you say, both fantastic players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts