• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bristol vs Saracens

P

Prestwick

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Arial">Saracens: Russell, Penney, Sorrell, Farrell, Ratuvou, Jackson, De Kock; Aguero, Ongaro, Visagie, Jack, Fullarton, Gustard, Hill, Skirving.
Replacements: Kyriacou, Mercey, Ryder, Barrell, Dickens, Powell, Houghton.

[/left]</div><div align="center"> </div>

Bristol 18-3 Saracens
Bristol (10) 18

Tries: Salter, L Arscott
Con: Strange
Pens: Strange 2

Saracens (3) 3
Pen: Jackson

Bristol bounced back from last week's thumping at the hands of Gloucester to record an impressive victory over high-flying Saracens.
Sarries took the lead with a Glen Jackson penalty but that was their only score in a disappointing display.

Jason Strange replied for the hosts before skipper Matt Salter put Bristol in control with a try on 21 minutes.

Strange added another penalty and full-back Luke Arscott made sure of the win after finishing off on the left.

The victory will be the perfect boost for Bristol ahead of their crucial Heineken Cup games against Stade Francais and Cardiff in the next two weeks as well as pulling the club away from the relegation battle below them.

Saracens had been sitting in third place before the game after an impressive run of six wins in nine matches but their defeat, combined with the failure to claim a bonus point, means they slip to fourth in the table.

After taking the lead early on, they found themselves behind when Salter came up with the ball after a perfectly executed a line-out drive bundled the flanker over the line.

The visitors had a superb chance to get back into the game but number eight Ben Skirving delivered a forward pass to wing Kameli Ratuvou with the home cover stretched.

Saracens tried to up the pace after the break but Bristol weathered the storm and increased their lead through Strange after the visitors infringed at a ruck.

Sarries were not helped by Kevin Sorrell's sin-binning on 59 minutes and after some more intense pressure in the opposition 22, Bristol sealed victory when full-back Arscott crossed.

Bristol coach Richard Hill: "We looked fresh both physically and mentally. I did say after Gloucester that it was tough because we can't do it week in and week out. "We created a lot of holes and should have scored two or three more tries. We snuffed out their threats and I was really pleased with that.

"It was a really good balance. It was not all forward-dominated or all kicking. It wasn't just headless running. Watching that, I was more pleased than I have been for a long time."

Saracens director of rugby Alan Gaffney: "We won't be throwing the baby out with the bath water quite yet. We won't be changing much. We've just got to get to where we want to be - and we haven't been there for the last two weeks. "That's been the problem. If we played the way we want to play then things may have been different. We came here today confident of doing well and it was always going to be tough coming down the Memorial Stadium.

"Bristol play a very hard blitz defence so that did not come as any surprise. I won't say it does not present you with any problems but you have to learn how to handle it and today we didn't."

Bristol: L Arscott; T Arscott, Higgitt, Brew, Lemi; Strange, O'Riordan; Clarke, Regan, Crompton. Winters, Hohneck, Salter (capt), El Abd, Blowers.
Replacements: Linklater, Hobson, Phillips, To'oala, Thomas, Barnes, Cox.

Saracens: Russell; Penney, Sorrell, Farrell, Ratuvou; Jackson, De Kock; Aguero, Ongaro, Visagie, Jack, Fullarton, Gustard, Hill, Skirving.
Replacements: Kyriacou, Mercey, Ryder, Barrell, Dickens, Powell, Haughton.

Story from BBC SPORT:

Latest posts