• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British and Irish Lions: is it time to an Argentinian tour?

Surely the Lions helps development because it allows fringe/youth players a chance in the first XV while the other players away?

So you're saying that in the absence of the Lions tour that players would get a rest? The NH players do play too much rugby, but its not the Lions tour to blame for this. If the Lions didn't come around every 4 years it would be replaced by more touring. That much is obvious.

And it is easy to romanticise because its one of the very few sporting occasions that warrants it. As an Englishman, one of my abiding memories of POC will be him in a Lions jersey. Of course he'll be more recognised for his achievements in the green of Ireland and the red of Munster, but thats what we see, week in, week out.

In terms of a selfish system, do you not think that theres some value in players from different leagues, with different playing styles, getting together? Teams like NZ can afford to be selfish, seeing as they're the best at what they do. Sharing can be of benefit, especially when we seem bereft of ideas of our own.

But again, you think that winning a 6 Nations trumps that of winning a Lions series? Really? In your opinion or that of the players?

A Grand Slam certainly does imo, not winning on points difference though.

The Lion's is a money maker, it used to play a purpose when touring wasn't all that feasible and used to end in complete failure for the four nations but we don't need that now. It's a pretty empty honour especially when you play a team that three of the four countries would have underachieved had they not won the series like last time.

In a time where most the NH discussion on this forum is how to get ourselves to the level of the NH, I really think we should be looking at this regarding it's purpose or lack thereof. The Lions is simply a hindrance to the development of a team in a vital stage of the four year World Cup cycle where teams should be expanding on the foundations they have built in the previous 18 months, instead they go on a worthless and amateurish tour which lacks identity other than videos of Martin Johnson, Willie John MacBride etc... It's a good idea but bad for rugby in the four nations involved.

Without anything to base it on, I'd warrant that those involved in 2013 would rather have won that test series wearing white, green, blue or with a leek on their chest. At the very least I'd want the tour to be moved to the year after the RWC.

Omg I've been saying this for years .....

I'd rather the lions summer spent getting England ready than going on a tour I don't really care about with a load of players that will never play together again .....

This would appear to be a battle between the traditionalists against the rest!!

I am a traditionalist and long live the Lions tours!!

If there is to be a discussion to be held about scrapping them, I would be very happy for the decision to be taken by players rather than administrators or even so called rugby supporters!!

A Grand Slam certainly does imo, not winning on points difference though.

This is a tough one for us to really quantify, and unless one of us has the ear of someone who has done both its not going to get any easier. A google search will find plenty of quotes for players who rank the Lions as an aspiration beyond playing for their country, a career highlight. In terms of the professional era, it would be interesting to see the numbers of players who have won a Grand Slam compared to that of a Lions series. I'd suspect that one is far rarer a feat than the other, but maybe thats not the case for English players at the moment!

As mentioned many, many times before, cancelling the Lions tour would not give players a break. This would be replaced by another tour for the first team players. If anything, it might impede those on the cusp of national teams the chance to play, seeing as they'd be expected to get a cap or two while the first team setups were off down south.

In terms of development, do you not think that players actually derive any benefit whatsoever from different perspectives, regimes, styles of play, and all that? Its all well and good going on about how we'd like our 1st XV playing together all the time, but how often has that been possible in recent years? Its the domestic season that is to blame for player fatigue, not the Lions.

I have a question for all the British and Irish fans. What team, do you identify the most, your national team (England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland) or the British and Irish Lions? And Why?

That's a complex question if the Lions were more than a one off thing every 4 years I'd probably be better equipped to answer it.

I think I'd more go for a Lions team as it would be the pinnacle first and I consider myself British above English. However that's pretty theoretical.

England, easily.

Bloody love the Lions, but I'd be surprised if anyone identified more with a Barbarians-style side that only exists every four years than their home country.

England, as much as I like the Lions the amount of Welsh/Irish willy waving over selection gets on the nerves a bit. Kind of glad none of the Celtic teams got into the SF otherwise we would be getting subjected to endless Lions test sides full of supposed world class players.

The lions is so special having all our British and Irish nations pull together. This should never cease as its 2nd only to the World Cup in my mind.

I have a question for all the British and Irish fans. What team, do you identify the most, your national team (England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland) or the British and Irish Lions? And Why?
Lions. I feel disillusioned with English rugby.

Latest posts