• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British and Irish Lions Tour: Referee Chat

So Berry will take charge of the first test, followed by O'Keeffe And finally Raynal. With the them also being the touch judges.

Interpretation of breakdown gonna be crucial in this one.

Thoughts?

Firstly, that was one if the best referee performances ive seen in a while. In saying that, even the best referee performance will be imperfect.
On balance there were a few decisions or lack of decisions that went against the springboks, and you could argue quite a few penalties shoild have gone against the likns in the early minutes for illegally slowing the ball down but i thought the ref managed it well.

a few tmo decisions i wasnt so sure about. Was le roux clearly in front? It always is going to look a bit like it on that camera angle; for i stance without seeing the 40m line few people would predict its angle compared to the touchline, very difficult to determin perpindicular. Based on that angle it looked like le roux was pretty much in line with the ball on the foot. Should probably have been called as not enough evidence not to award the try.

on the other hand, the tmo was shockingly poor in looking at the psdt possible knock on in the lead up to the springboks try. He didnt even have a second look. Was it a knock on? I have no idea because it wasnt looked at close enough, not even in slow motion. Im jot sure if they have other angles they are looking at and perhaps the kne shown is just for the onfield refs benefit, but certainly i dont know what happend.

Owens and Greenwood did analysis of Le Roux'a disallowed try in sky and showed Le Roux's foot was just in front of the Mapimpi's when he kicked it.

Owens and Greenwood did analysis of Le Roux'a disallowed try in sky and showed Le Roux's foot was just in front of the Mapimpi's when he kicked it.
Fair enough I thought it was the wrong call but I thought the pass was forward. So wasn't worth looking at.

As noted the only thing I think the SA fans can rightly be aggrieved about was the Watson call.

Yeh I definitely thought the pass was forward as well. But Owens was saying it wasn't clear and obvious in ref speak and Jonker atm also said the pass was fine at the time. But De Allende's hands were pointing forward when he threw the pass.

Yeh the Watson tip tackle - got away with that one.

Latest posts