• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brough turning his back on Scotland...

F

Fred187

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7874310.stm

What a bloody ******! I thought, after he chose to play for Scotland over England in the World Cup, he was committed to us! International rules really shouldn't allow players to change their Nationality like this - once you've been capped by a country, you should be committed to playing for that nation and only that nation. When players just chop and change like this, the whole international scene becomes meaningless. Also, if he actually committed himself to helping us win the European Nations Cup, then he could get the chance to compete against Australia anyway!

Inevitable.

England will come calling for him this summer I think.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Feb 7 2009, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Inevitable.

England will come calling for him this summer I think.[/b]

They won't be able to - he won't be allowed to play for another country until 2 years have passed since he last played for Scotland, so he won't be available for England until late 2010. If he wanted to play for England, then why did he choose Scotland in the World Cup? Anyway, he'd still get to play against the likes of Australia anyway - he'd probably have been picked for GB on their next tour.

Anyway, I'm not impressed...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Feb 7 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think GB are done for good...[/b]

Really? I heard that they were planning to operate them on a similar basis to the Lions - doing tours of Australia or New Zealand every so often.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Feb 7 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f***ing dick, f***ing dick.

Totally spineless move.[/b]

Yes, I agree. We don't want him back now, though - he's tainted.

Personally, I hope they change the international rules before 2 years have passed, so he can't play for England, and then, when he comes back and tries to play for Scotland, he gets ignored.

The rules governing international qualification are a complete joke.

Personally I think once you've played for a country then that's it... no way back.

Of course if GB were still around then Brough could have continued to play for Scotland and still have a regular crack at the Aussies & the Kiwis under the GB banner.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Feb 7 2009, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

:huh:

I think that logic is way off myself. Whilst what he's done is wrong, I think it's pretty brave. It means he is prepared to take on people like Rob Burrow for a starting spot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Feb 8 2009, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Feb 7 2009, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh:

I think that logic is way off myself. Whilst what he's done is wrong, I think it's pretty brave. It means he is prepared to take on people like Rob Burrow for a starting spot.
[/b][/quote]

He'll be a shoe-in for England, though. I admired him for choosing Scotland in the World Cup because it showed his bravery in taking on bigger RL nations (France and Fiji) with Scotland, rather than just glory-hunting with England. I'd say that's more brave than competeing for places in a side he'll obviously start in.

Burrow is his only real competition, and I'd say Brough could see off Burrow pretty easily. Even if not, he's certianly a shoe-in for an England 17.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Feb 7 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Burrow is his only real competition, and I'd say Brough could see off Burrow pretty easily. Even if not, he's certianly a shoe-in for an England 17.[/b]

He'd make the squad no question there after all we currently only have Burrow and Myler not sure about the 17 though cos having all forwards on the bench seems to be all the rage. I'd pick him but I can't see him getting past Burrow in Smith's eyes even though his kicking game is far, far superior.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 8 2009, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Feb 7 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Burrow is his only real competition, and I'd say Brough could see off Burrow pretty easily. Even if not, he's certianly a shoe-in for an England 17.[/b]

He'd make the squad no question there after all we currently only have Burrow and Myler not sure about the 17 though cos having all forwards on the bench seems to be all the rage. I'd pick him but I can't see him getting past Burrow in Smith's eyes even though his kicking game is far, far superior.
[/b][/quote]

His kicking game is leagues ahead of Burrow's, and he's a top quality passer. Burrow might be argued a better runner (although Brough is stronger), but, on the whole, I'd take a good play-making scrum-half over a runner, and that puts Brough as a better choice than Burrow. As you said, though, maybe not in the eyes of Smith - who is an excellent coach (I had the privelege of some training sessions with him) - but I'm sure he'd come around. At the moment, I detest Bruffy, but he's still a top class player.

Personally, I'd like to see him switch codes at some point, I think he'd be dangerous in the 15 man game, he could choose Scotland and make up for this mess.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Feb 8 2009, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Personally, I'd like to see him switch codes at some point, I think he'd be dangerous in the 15 man game, he could choose Scotland and make up for this mess.[/b]

I was thinking that, too - he'd be a good answer to the lack of a decent 10.

Anyway, I don't care so much that he's bailing on Scotland - it's the fact that he got our hopes up and now he's bailing. I didn't really mind when Calderwood bailed, because he gave no reason to think he wouldn't. Brough really needed to think about what he was doing when he decided to play for Scotland in the first place.

Latest posts