Bryce Lawrence Interview

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
Bryce has announced his retirement from the game. The ITM Cup Premiership semi-final between Auckland an Wellington this weekend will be his final match.

Here is his interview with Mark Richardson and Richard Turner on RadioSport this morning, where he talks about the pressure he was under from administrators prior to the 2011 RWC quarter final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never rated the man as a ref but credit to him for acknowledging he was not up to standard in the RWC and did not know that he had said this previously. Good on ya sport and good luck in your new opportunity!

Heineken's fault he retired :)

LOL!! don't mess with me, I will end you!!

This is actually more peculiar than expected... Reason why I'm saying it is that he announced it, almost a week or so after inserts from Richie Mccaw's book was revealed where Richie also blamed Bryce for some things and also mentioned the 2011 QF match...

Very frank interview, and he took the bullit like an absolute champion. Agree that he messed up the QF and several more recent matches (like he himself admits) and really was no longer at the highest standard, but I felt he left with a lot of dignity and for once am not unhappy he is refereeing Auckland v Wellington SF.

I suppose no-one can know beforehand exactly how much outside interference will effect them on the field until its too late. My jimmies remain rustled though LOL.

It does raise some interesting questions about the outside influence from "administrators". He was obviously not happy with that (quite rightly) so it would be interesting to know why and in what way these pressures were being applied.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Lawrence-I-was-hounded-out-20121017

now he admits he was pressured by the Australian Rugby boss John O'Neil before the test... The plot thickens... Is there another hidden story we don't know of that why all this is coming out only now? after O'neil stepped down??

I think there will always be pressure on refs in crunch games. O'Neil applied the bigger pressure and PdV has no clout whatsoever so we lost that one. Same with Joubert in the final. I think he handled it a bit better even in a more stressful game but he still froze a bit as I think most would admit under the immense pressure of the expectation of an AB win in NZ.

I think there will always be pressure on refs in crunch games. O'Neil applied the bigger pressure and PdV has no clout whatsoever so we lost that one. Same with Joubert in the final. I think he handled it a bit better even in a more stressful game but he still froze a bit as I think most would admit under the immense pressure of the expectation of an AB win in NZ.

HAHAHAHAAAAA... as if Lawrence poor perfromance had anything to do with that... I hope you are just trolling there, and not actually serious?

[/B]HAHAHAHAAAAA... as if Lawrence poor perfromance had anything to do with that... I hope you are just trolling there, and not actually serious?

He was talking about Joubert. I personally don't think it had anything to with it, France had chances to win through penalties etc, but missed. As much as people criticise the AB's style of non-rugby that game, which is probably a fair criticism, I don't think the refereeing was especially poor. Just was made to look so by France holding onto possession for many phases. Certainly France could have been given a red card because of Rougerie, so I think they should be glad that Joubert didn't take a more involved position in the game.

Latest posts