Bugger it! I'm going to do it.

Sker

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Cheetahs
I've been a rugby lover since 2006 (sadly too late) when the Rugby World Cup was over, I was about to turn 15 and didn't want to go play rugby for the school. Mostly out of fear of embarrassment and that I wouldn't be able to perform. I'm already almost half way through my school year and the rugby season has started.

I have only one wish, to play another rugby game since I was 10. I started exercising last year, but now I really want to start. I'm prepared to do rough and intense exercise, hell if I only play one game I'll be as happy as a pig in muck. I've played a lot of touchies through the years, but I always wanted to play the real thing. The contact, I guess I'm a bit afraid of the contact, but on the other hand I'm also excited to tackle somebody really hard (in their moer, as we would say here)

I need your advice on what to do so I can make that one game happen. I know I need to consume a bunch of protein and calories. I currently weigh around 68kgs (I think, I'll check at the gym) and I'm 1,79m. I'm actually quite slow, so if you guys could also offer advice for pace exercises. My question is, should I go for the protein shakes? Should I train intensely by just doing push-ups,pull-ups or should I also use free weights to train each muscle seperately? I'm doing both at the moment, over the past month I've been able to go a little heavier bit by bit.

Hell if I can just get enough strength and fitness to run out for my school's 4th team, I'd be happy.

My exercises currently and for the past two months.
3 x sets of 12 pushups
3 x sets of bicep curls (12 reps of 10kg,12kg,14kg)
3 x sets of tricep push up thing (15 times)

I'm going to join the gym on monday where I'll have the opportunity to do pull-ups and use all the machines to train every muscle needed, I'll also have access to benches etc.

I'm a type 1 Diabetic, but I've read quite a few articles that state that wouldn't be a problem, one of my friends actually played fly half for Paarl Gim and he's a diabetic.

Ways to increase pace are:
Hill sprints
Plyometrics (if you google them you'll find a ton of stuff about them) & box jumps
Sprinting in general
Increasing leg strength

Increase match fitness by doing sprints and Fartlek training (jogging a set distance then sprinting a set distance, i.e jog for 20m then sprint for 10m and repeat)

If you have access to freeweights then they're the best way of increasing strength. Rather than working each muscle separately it's better to work large groups of them together, as these increase 'functional strength' and are more useful in a match/real world situation - Squats, Deadlifts and Benchpress are the main three lifts, then supplement these with whatever isolation movements you want to (bicep curls etc.etc.etc.) - body weight exercises like pushups and (especially) pullups also have their place as well

Getting used to contact is something that'll come with contact training, there's not really a lot you can do for that before doing contact training (bar tackling people in the street, but they probably won't like that)

I once saw a program (no idea what it was) where there was a guy on there that said he didn't play rugby because he had diabetes, and the show got in a semi-pro/pro (think it was a guy from an RFU Championship side) player who had diabetes and said it didn't stop him being a rugby player

Cool thanks for the feedback Olyy.

I don't give the best advice regarding weights or training but I do wish you the best of luck mate :)

Thanks man!

I'm going to start increasing my pace and start doing fitness exercises Monday. Thank goodness it's autumn now, otherwise I would've died of the heat. I'm in a notoriously hot part of the Boland.

Mate congratulations on choosing the BEST sport to get involved in.
In terms of your diabetes, don't worry about it AT ALL. Regular moderately-intensive exercise is extremely good for diabetics because it helps your body alot in controlling you blood glucose level because rather than all the sugar you eat in the day building up, your muscles use the energy instead so if anything getting involved in rugby that demands a keen amount of physical fitness can only help you with it.
Also i personally wouldn't recommend you taking protein shakes because some have a lot of sugar complexes in which a diabetic could find difficult to metabolise, basically eat loads of chicken and eggs to get your protein levels up. Your workouts sound ok for beginner levels, if you want tips and advice on workout stratergies theirs a really good site that can help you with that and it has rugby training tips as well its www.sportplan.net i'd recommend it.
The best thing you can do really to get into rugby though is just get involved. If there are any local club teams, your much better going to one of them than relying on school because you'll get a much better taste for the real game. Don't worry about the fitness thing, if you have a good coach like i used to when i was 14-15, he'll work on your fitness with you, your team mates will help you and you'll probably get playing time in the first couple of games, it might only be the last 10 minutes but practice makes perfect.
Other than that, good luck mate.

Yeah two guys on my team have diabetes and they are fine both 2nd rows ,in fact one of them is the biggest hitter I have ever played with ...utter monster

I've actually already started to exercise, going to have one my mates help teach me to tackle, I deliberately chose my biggest mate. I'm quite excited.

Oh wow, jogging up and down stairs. FUN! Feels like somebody is hitting me with a sledgehammer! Still though, I can feel it doing me good.

It's something to tell yourself when you're lying on the ground wondering if you should puke out a lung ;)

You shouldn't worry mate, as long as you take good care of yourself everything will be all good.

Latest posts