• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Build up to 2022/23 season

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I'm not going to start and keep up dedicated threads on the other SA teams but with player movement within SA it seems clear the "big 3" are getting bigger and unfortunately(?) at the expense of the lesser SA sides.

Sharks have already raided the Lions for Carlu Sadie and Vincent Tshituka who I see as potential test players. We've known Eben Etzebeth will be going there as well. That is some firepower for an already stacked (if under-performing) team.

Bulls now have announced signning the Lions' 3rd best player in Wandile Simelane as well as added epth in the loose forwards from Cheetahs and Pumas respectively in the shapes of Mihlali Mosi and Phumzile Maqondwana. Can't say as I know much about the former but Maqondwana is a good signing IMO- not least because he is a Curry Cup winning captain in the Pumas' historic ***le march.

Stormers look steady enough though the biggest news at this stage is only rumors still in that we are keeping Kitshoff for another year and Kolbe look like a candidate to make up for losing Gelant. We'll see. We do have some promising youngsters that might be trusted to make the step up rather than forking out the big bucks.

Lions though so far as I know are just bleeding their top players and to direct conference opposition so even though anything goes in derby games it looks like the big 3 SA sides will be banking on 10 log points as far as the Lions are concerned next season. Good for those teams but bad for the integrity of the competition IMO. Though I suppose there is still plenty of time and movement to come so who knows and the Stormers won a ***le off the back of trusting to some of our own young and a few otherwise unwanted players from other teams (along with a good dose of fortune mind you).

I don't know when during the year the other URC sides would be shopping about. Will try to keep a closer eye on things but actually just don't know where to look.

The picture seems pretty static in Scotland expect for the appointment of Franco Smith as head coach of Glasgow. In terms of players there aren't any signings that stand out as exciting and the only big losses are Moyano and Bradbury from Edinburgh.

I expect Edinburgh to compete around 2nd to 6th (should inexperienced coach and flyhalf continue to improve) and for Glasgow to be around 7th to 9th.

I have to say that I am very excited for the new season even though I don't expect the Stormers to back up last season. I just hope Dweba goes well. Hooker was actually a position I felt confident in our depth, even going 4 deep the young guns held up very well and at a pinch Deon Fourie can move back to 2. Replacement for Gelant and Meihuizen is what I was hoping for.

My preseason expectations are ;

Leinster
Ulster
Sharks
Bulls
Munster
Stormers
Edinburgh
Wales 1

Glasgow
Wales 2
Connacht
Benetton
Lions
Wales 3
Wales 4
Zebre

Sharks really ought to be right up there with Leinster but I think there will still be issues surrounding coaching and consistency.

I've had the Sharks high on my list but after the weekend I wonder whether I might swap the Sharks and Stormers around and have it Stormers top for SA again, followed by the Bulls and then Sharks.

Sure the Sharks won in our friendly on the weekend but that was a Sharks side who were a lot closer to full strength vas a very much B side Stormers and only managed to win by 3 tries to 2. I was impressed by both teams' defense but TBH there were too many handling errors. Stormers' line-out woes look set to continue sadly. I don't believe bringing in Dweba will help there.

Sharks will get back Am, Etzebeth (admittedly big influences), Hendrickse, Nche and Mapimpi from among who played on the weekend. Oh, and Mbonambi and Kolisi. Kolisi at URC level thoughh...

Stormers will get Kitshoff, Malherbe, Dweba, Ntubeni, Moerat, Fourie, Xaba, Roos, Jantjies, Libbok, Willemse, Nel, Zas, Mnegomezulu and Seantla. Close on a whole 1st choice XV. Overall, I think we are going to get more of a leg up in a proper game than what the Sharks would. To only lose by a try is something to be positive about IMO or concerned about if you are a Sharks supporter.

Both teams will want passes to stick to hand though going into the URC proper.

Sharks
15 Aphelele Fassi, 14 Werner Kok, 13 Ben Tapuai, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 11 Yaw Penxe, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Grant Williams, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Dylan Richardson, 6 James Venter, 5 Reniel Hugo, 4 Justin Basson, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Kerron van Vuuren, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu

Substitutes (from): 16 Dan Jooste, 17 Fez Mbatha, 18 Dian Bleuler, 19 Carlu Sadie, 20 Thembelani Bholi, 21 Gerbrandt Grobler, 22 Phendulani Buthelezi, 23 Zee Mkhabela, 24 Henry Chamberlain, 25 Marnus Potgieter, 26 Thaakir Abrahams

Stormers
15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Tristan Leyds, 13 Suleiman Hartzenberg, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Chris Hollis, 10 Kade Wolhuter, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Hacjivah Dayimani, 7 Ernst van Rhyn (captain), 6 Junior Pokomela, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Connor Evans, 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Andre-Hugo Venter, 1 Ali Vermaak

Substitutes (from): 16 Chad Solomon, 17 Kwenzo Blose, 18 Sazi Sandi, 19 Gary Porter, 20 Paul de Villiers, 21 Louwan Horn, 22 Marcel Theunissen, 23 Imad Khan, 24 Seabelo Senatla, 25 Mnombo Zwelendaba, 26 Godlen Masimla

Its only a friendly. I am not concerned. We are getting Neil Powell in soon, and Muller du Plessis maybe more Blitzboks soon.

But yeah we need to learn to be good without our Boks because we are nog going to have them for large spells this season in the run up to the World Cup.

I have to say that I am very excited for the new season even though I don't expect the Stormers to back up last season. I just hope Dweba goes well. Hooker was actually a position I felt confident in our depth, even going 4 deep the young guns held up very well and at a pinch Deon Fourie can move back to 2. Replacement for Gelant and Meihuizen is what I was hoping for.

My preseason expectations are ;

Leinster
Ulster
Sharks
Bulls
Munster
Stormers
Edinburgh
Wales 1

Glasgow
Wales 2
Connacht
Benetton
Lions
Wales 3
Wales 4
Zebre
I see the bookies have it in general:

Leinster

Miles upon miles..

Munster, Sharks, Stormers, Ulster & Bulls close enough together.

Some daylight

Edinburgh, Glasgow pipping
Connaght, Ospreys, Blues, Lions & Benetton

Lastly...

Dragons and Zebre dead last.

This would be odds for a ***le rather than log standings which is an important difference.

Latest posts