• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bulking up

P

Price2

Hi (Im new and this is my first post)

I've just moved up from U16s to colts, and i feel as though i need to bulk up and get stronger to have any impact on the field, especially when ball carrying.
I play hooker.
10st 3.
Small, about 5ft 4(i think), and quite podgy, but not fat.

So, last week i started weight training.
Mon; Weight Training
Tue; Rugby Training
Wed; Weight Training
Thur; Rugby Training
Fri; ______
Sat; Game/Rugby T
Sun; ______
( Some fridays + Sundays I will do weight training, Depending on how stiff/sore I am )
(I do this on top of my a-level studies)

The workout with weights that I have been doing so far;
Standing Press (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Behind Neck Press (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Upright Rowing (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Curls (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Reverse Curls (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Butterfly Curls (dumbells) - 3 sets of 5
Arm Extensions (dumbells) - 3 sets of 5
Squat with weight on shoulders (barbell) - 3 sets of 5

I have been doing the exercises with a weight that is not heavy for me but requires some energy,(i cannot remember the exact weight)
I plan to
increase the reps, to 8 then 10
then to increase the weight, but back to 5 reps

Is the workout i have set up good(and will i feel and see the results eventually), or are there some things i am doing wrong
and what could i do to improve. Any advice appricatiated.

Welcome dude. The workout looks like it will be fine. But remember, the most important thing to do is have a proper diet, and distinguish between "bulking up" and "toning up".

When you work out, doing a lot of reps with a weight that you can handle pretty comfortably is going to cause your muscles to start shaping, but not necessarily increase in size. The easiest way to bulk up is to do 2 things: Have a high protein intake (proteins are the most important for muscle growth) and focus primarily on strength training, mixed with cardio exercises.

You need to go with heavy weights, weights that will literally exhaust you after around 5 reps. When you use weights that your muscles struggle to cope with, your body realizes that if it gets into that same situation again, it needs to be able to handle it better (Hence, your muscles grow in order for you to handle the increased weight each time.)

Cardio is what i do first. Generally i run 3km each time at the gym, but for serious bulking, i would suggest either rowing or swimming. Don't over do it though. Spend about 30min max on cardio sessions. Now, here is the key, after you have done your exercise, you must start your strength training immediately for the best results. Focus on individual muscle groups each day. For example:

Mon - Chest, biceps
Tuesday- Back, Quads, Hamstrings
Wednesday - Active rest (Play some rugby :) )
Thursday - Stomach, Triceps, Shoulders
Friday - Calves, full body (dead lifts etc)

I stuck to this method on a 4 month program, though it was also for a bit of weight loss. I lost 24kg, and gained a lot of muscle mass. My biceps went from 34cm around to a full 42cm in that time. So yeah, have determination, and stick to your program! Remember, for maximum bulk, use the most you can handle! Good luck!

On the pointing of taking the most your muscles can handle....be conservative when guessing what yiur muscles can handle. Better to slowly work upwards than tearing muscle tissue.

Do you use any "Mass Gain" protein powder? That could help you a lot, I put on 5kg's of muscle in 4 weeks when I started using it, however don't use it if you break your leg or something unless you want to put on 20kg's of fat :p

Jericho or anyone give me advice.. so your saying low reps more weight to gain muscle mass and bigger muscles??

I've worked out this to be the workout.. Could you tell me stuff like I should only do one workout or not for Chest and Shoulders etc and what else I could do to get bigger. And put in the recommended sets and reps for each exercise that would best suit muscle mass/bigger muscles.

Monday - Chest, Triceps, Shoulders
BB Benchpress
DB Incline Press
Dips

Tricep Pushdown

DB Shoulder Press
Upright Row

ABS

Wednesday - Biceps, Back

Lat Pulldown
Seated Row
DB One Arm Row
(pick two of those three exercises)

Chinups

Bicep Curls

ABS

Friday - Legs, Lower Back

Leg Press
Leg Extension
Calf Raises

Deadlift

ABS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Oct 28 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you use any "Mass Gain" protein powder? That could help you a lot, I put on 5kg's of muscle in 4 weeks when I started using it, however don't use it if you break your leg or something unless you want to put on 20kg's of fat :p[/b]

I ordered some and should get it next Tuesday (Super mass protein 30:60). Sounds like a lot of weight, same amount I'd like to gain.. how often did you have protein shakes?

I think i'll take the opportunity to inject an epic amount of homo in this thread and say that members should post pics of their massive gains.

Just sayin'

thanks for the replies
appreciate it
also i was wondering, would weight training also burn fat?

ive been doing my weight training without any running before or after,
but i do alot of running/cardio on a tue and thur at rugby training

Yes, weight training will burn fat to some extent, as with any form of exercise, but the main benefit is that there is significant evidence to suggest that more lean muscle mass increases your body's ability to burn fat whilst performing other exercise.

I'd still recommend keeping up some cardio work - personally I run to and from the gym (only a short distance, but enough to work as a warm-up and cooldown) which is a nice way of including extra cardio in your routine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I ordered some and should get it next Tuesday (Super mass protein 30:60). Sounds like a lot of weight, same amount I'd like to gain.. how often did you have protein shakes?[/b]

half a normal serving 5 mins before weights, and then a full serving plus one extra spoon of the stuff with in 10 mins of finishing weights, always do at least one spoon more than the recommended if you want speedy gain, but don't go over the top with it, only drink it when before and/or after you do weights, not every second of every day like some people I know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Oct 29 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think i'll take the opportunity to inject an epic amount of homo in this thread and say that members should post pics of their massive gains.[/b]

lol. You are right. But yeah, i'm not huge, but im pretty buff. Ask Steve-o, he has met me. Anyway, @ QLD, it's a pretty good work-out you got i think, but as for reps/sets, it varies. I myself, have always worked on a 12 - 10 - 12 system. Some say it's to much, others say it's too few. But it's what i am comfortable with.

Another thing, when i say "heavier weights" i dont mean if you can barely bench press 40kg 8 times, then do 50 twice. . . I mean if you feel the burn after 4 or 5 reps, then that is the perfect weight for you. I started my bench presses at around 30kg, and struggled my ass off. Now i'm doing 50 to 60 pretty comfortably, because my muscle size has increased to cope with heavier weight than it's used to.

Woldog is spot in with his shake intake suggestion, but be sure to remember, it is not only a protein intake, but a meal replacement as well. Anyway, you should try to find the Muscle science total body workout online to download. It covers EVERYTHING in great detail, and helped me a lot to understand what the differences were between some exercises, as well as which ones work best. It is a very TOUGH program though, so if you are beginning, you might want to just decrease the sets/reps count.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Oct 30 2008, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
I ordered some and should get it next Tuesday (Super mass protein 30:60). Sounds like a lot of weight, same amount I'd like to gain.. how often did you have protein shakes?[/b]

half a normal serving 5 mins before weights, and then a full serving plus one extra spoon of the stuff with in 10 mins of finishing weights, always do at least one spoon more than the recommended if you want speedy gain, but don't go over the top with it, only drink it when before and/or after you do weights, not every second of every day like some people I know.
[/b][/quote]

Alright sounds good cheers. Did you use milk with it and why 10 mins before finishing weights? Your in the seconds werent you? what pos and how much do u weigh..

Use half milk with half water. If you are skin and bone, Use only milk at first to gain mass. For weight loss, strictly water.

so would that be one set of 5 reps?
i've gotten some weight gain stuff and i've added something like 5 pounds of muscle and i have not been doing heavy weights just medium amounts so i'm not sure if i'm getting everything i can out of it that i can

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Alright sounds good cheers. Did you use milk with it and why 10 mins before finishing weights? Your in the seconds werent you? what pos and how much do u weigh..[/b]

Yeah milk, and 10 mins before you start weights and 10 mins after, and I was in 2nds this year I played as fly half, and Hooker in 3rds, weigh 83kg's.

Yes Mass gain powder is the shiz-nat, I liek to load on teh Cell-Tech
datdereadvertisement.jpg

so someone like Jericho with the workout I've mentioned above, would you take out any exercises or add any, and do like 5 x 5 reps with heavier weight?

Also don't over do it with the heavy weights, the no pain no gain saying is bullshit, if you over do it and injure yourself you will be out of weights for a few weeks, use heavy weights to get tired then once you are tired get something like 5kg's and just do some reps with that.

Got my protein today.

Supervisor weights guy who got it for him said once a day or something, but I might do your suggestion Woldog, once before weights, once after....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 1 2008, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so someone like Jericho with the workout I've mentioned above, would you take out any exercises or add any, and do like 5 x 5 reps with heavier weight?[/b]

I would only add some squats, lunges, and then also try to combine lunges with bicep curls or shoulder presses. Full body workouts are always better! :)

I find rugby has a lot do with with leg strength, therfore I focus heavily on squats, lunges, and deadlifts. I usually do legs twice a week, Wednesday's and Sundays. The days in between is just I will work out the other groups. Dont forget to workout your back and neck. Working your back will also increase core strength and stability, and exercising your neck should reduce the chance of injury during a game.

Latest posts