Burglaries on the increase?

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions
Checked my parents house this morning, as they away on holiday. Knew something wasn't right when I unlocked the door and the chain on the inside was put on. I only checked the house two days before and knew I didn't put it on. The fcukers turned all the bedrooms upside down looking for cash and Jewellery.

Spent the day with the police. Forensics didn't find any prints; only a partial footprint. Gave a statement and got crime reference number. My parents neighbours also got burgled in the last two months. I personally suspect the builders who knocked down the other side as there are a number of builders and labourers coming in and out of the site and don't know who they are. Either one of the, or they have tipped someone else to do it. Reported suspicions to police, but don't know if they will follow it up.

Anyone else have any stories to share?

Back when I was in college we had our apartment robbed during the Christmas break. I had a stereo system stolen and my roommate had some collectable coins taken as well. We had a hunch that it was our neighbor because he once told us that he'd been locked up for burglary. It turned out our hunch was right because the police pulled him over for speeding about 150 miles away and they found our items in the backseat of his car. The police ran a criminal record check on him when they pulled him over and our burglary report was in their computer system. We got our goods back a few days later and our neighbor went back to jail.

*Engrave your Drivers License number on the bottom of your stereo system, TV, computer, etc. and it will help the Police get it back to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing RugbyUSA. Yeah they knocked down a garage next door to my parents and loads of labourers and builders work on site building a new property and they can see right into my parents' property. Anyone of them can see that my parents haven't been there in the last two weeks; did the job themselves or tipped off someone they knew to ransack the place for cash and Jewellery. Police resources here are at an all time low and whether they will properly investigate I have my doubts. Still, I made a point to the PC to ask her to get the detectives to check them all out. All I can do at this point.

In my parents case they look like they were just after cash and Jewellery. They left the TVs, PlayStation and computers in place, which aren't worth much to them.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your parents misfortune.How did they get in? Are your parents alarmed ? CCTV ed up?
Its one of my biggest fears of getting home and finding we've been ransacked so i try to make it as hard and uninviting as possible. I've even got a small safe fixed into the wall in case anyone gets in.

When governments don't keep their promises, citizens become criminals.

Sorry to hear that Blindside.

We were done a few years ago. More a quick in and out taking laptops a bit of cash etc rather than trashing the place. There were 4 adults in the house and we didn't hear a thing. They got in via a fanlight at the back of the house, and you're really not there by accident. Strong suspicions it had something to do with some new window cleaners who'd had the chance to suss out the layout, they weren't invited back a second time.

The invasion of your property is the biggest thing, but if an initial forensics check doesn't turn up anything then I doubt the Police will investigate much further. For weeks after we got bombarded by victim support asking if we were OK, each time we told them we were and it almost felt that more effort went into that than trying to find the little scrotes.

We had an alarm fitted immediately and it's now really easy to fit security cameras too.

Dont know how they forced entry in your case, but keeping the largest garden tools indoors, or at the very least a very secure garage or shed is one step as these are handy way to force entry. Making sure your back doors and windows can be overlooked by at least one neighbour (fences and bushes not too high) is also pretty essential if you can't afford a legit house alarm and CCTV.

The main things are to keep doors and windows locked in summer when the house is unattended.

The other biggest thing these days is higher value cars. Those with fancy remote keys are begging to be stolen, so keep the key well away from the front door (where if can be remotely activated using a bit of kit) and dont leave your car unattended if defrosting it while idling.

Theft of bikes is also pretty major, particularly in common stairs of flats. The only solution I have to that one is keep a dirt cheap bike that you arent financially and emotionally attached too!

Cheers for the comments and feedback on your own experiences. In my parents' case, they forced open the front window with a crowbar. The window was old and was a weak point of entry, which the thieves exploited. I didn't even notice at first when I unlocked the front door and noticed the chain was put on from the inside. This was to give the thieves time to escape if they were disturbed whilst ransacking the place.

I managed to get into the house by unhooking the side gate, which was attached to the fence of the property next door, which is currently a building site. Questioned two of the labourers putting up bricks, but both denied seeing anything and said they only started at 8 am and work weekends. That means there are a number of other labourers and builders working the site during the week, who can see who comes in and out of the property and we have no idea who they are and what their background is.

Anyway, got round the back of the house and noticed through the kitchen window that the fridge and freezer doors, cupboard drawers were open and I knew that there had been a break-in. Then back patio door was open and I got into the house that way. Living room side cabinets and papers emptied. I then checked upstairs and they'd tipped everything from the drawers onto the beds. They've taken cash and jewellery. The first port of call for any thieves is to go for the bedrooms; so if you do hide anything of value make sure it's not in your bedrooms. Unfortunately, my parents of that generation to keep cash and jewellery there (this has obviously now got to change). It looked like a quick in and out job, as my parents' car was still in the garage. They weren't interested in the TVs, as too bulky to carry out.

I called 101 and reported it straight away and went downstairs to check the dining room and only then noticed the front window had been prized open with a crowbar and this is how they got entry to the house.

Anyway, spoke to the neighbours on the other side to my parents, as he was burgled 2 months previously. They smashed his back patio door to get entry and ransacked one of the bedrooms, but they say they must have disturbed them and they did a runner.

Anyway, just got to keep checking on my parents' house until they get back from holiday. I haven't told them yet, as did not want to ruin their holiday and they can't do much from where they are anyway. But it's gonna be a massive shock to them when they get back, but also a massive wake-up call to get CCTV and the place alarmed, secure the property properly because, with hindsight, it was really was an easy target. I can't contact their insurance anyway at this point and any assessor would want to speak to them directly.

The two officers who attended - one forensics and the other a PC have done their jobs now and now it is a case of the detectives to investigate, but I am not holding out much hope either and how much they will follow up on checking who is working next door on that building site. Just too much of a coincidence that since they started 6 months ago, two break-ins have occurred in the two adjacent properties.

It's tough, especially with all the labourers around.
I don't even think it will be labourers TBH.
Wouldn't be hard for 1 or 2 people to case the place with all that work going on.
and you do get some people who loosely follow construction crews to see what areas are being worked on.

For communities the key is communication, the fact that you didn't know that robberies had been happening in the area for the past 2 months is a sign.
Once 2 hits have happened in an area of short time like 3 months then you know someone's going to be targeting more.

Once they case a place for a week or so it's then extremely easy to plan to do a job in the space of 10/15 minutes.
Someone pinched a Quad of ours last year, must have taken them what 5 minutes to hot wire it drive it down the road into their van, same night 3 other farms in the area got their's knicked. Now have 1 coded lock, 1 key lock, a 4x4 with a dead switch blocking it, and a GPS alaram system built into it.

without knowing too much of the area, I would potentially recommend going into the pawn shops in any of the bigger towns/cities around the area and just have a quick look around. Potentially ebay or facebook but thats less likely.

Checked my parents house this morning, as they away on holiday. Knew something wasn't right when I unlocked the door and the chain on the inside was put on. I only checked the house two days before and knew I didn't put it on. The fcukers turned all the bedrooms upside down looking for cash and Jewellery.

Spent the day with the police. Forensics didn't find any prints; only a partial footprint. Gave a statement and got crime reference number. My parents neighbours also got burgled in the last two months. I personally suspect the builders who knocked down the other side as there are a number of builders and labourers coming in and out of the site and don't know who they are. Either one of the, or they have tipped someone else to do it. Reported suspicions to police, but don't know if they will follow it up.

Anyone else have any stories to share?

Where to begin??

My parents house have been burgled 4 times while I was still in School. And there have been several attempts inbetween. The one time they tried to break-in at my bedroom. I woke up from the scratching sounds they were making trying to remove the putty from the window frame. They couldn't see me as my bed was around a little corner. I grabbed my phone and called my dad as he has a panic button next to his bed. He pressed the button, got his gun from the safe and came to my room, while I was still lying in my bed. The armed response guys caught them in the yard. I was 14 at the time. I think that was one of more scary encounters I had.

Most of the times they break in when the people aren't at home, especially in the suburb we live in. The festive season is always the most concerning time. Luckily my brother always works over this period and stays in the house next to my parents house, so there's always traffic there, and the dogs move inbetween the yards freely. As for my house, we have a friend's son who always stays at our house over December for some extra money.

Where to begin??

My parents house have been burgled 4 times while I was still in School. And there have been several attempts inbetween. The one time they tried to break-in at my bedroom. I woke up from the scratching sounds they were making trying to remove the putty from the window frame. They couldn't see me as my bed was around a little corner. I grabbed my phone and called my dad as he has a panic button next to his bed. He pressed the button, got his gun from the safe and came to my room, while I was still lying in my bed. The armed response guys caught them in the yard. I was 14 at the time. I think that was one of more scary encounters I had.

Most of the times they break in when the people aren't at home, especially in the suburb we live in. The festive season is always the most concerning time. Luckily my brother always works over this period and stays in the house next to my parents house, so there's always traffic there, and the dogs move inbetween the yards freely. As for my house, we have a friend's son who always stays at our house over December for some extra money.
It sounds like burglary is another level of dangerous in South Africa, a work colleague is from Zimbabwe via SA, he got news a few weeks ago that an a family friend from SA was murdered in his own home by a burglar, absolutely horrible story. Must have been terrifying for a 14-year-old, glad it worked out OK.

I've only been burgled once and I personally didn't lose anything fortunately. It was a flatshare where we didn't really know each other, a couple of my flatmates we're having a party with their mate downstairs, I was in bed asleep. Someone literally just walked in off the street and went through all the bedrooms. He came into my room, woke me up and said "sorry, I was looking for the bathroom", obviously I assumed he was with the party and went back to sleep.

It sounds like burglary is another level of dangerous in South Africa, a work colleague is from Zimbabwe via SA, he got news a few weeks ago that an a family friend from SA was murdered in his own home by a burglar, absolutely horrible story. Must have been terrifying for a 14-year-old, glad it worked out OK.

I've only been burgled once and I personally didn't lose anything fortunately. It was a flatshare where we didn't really know each other, a couple of my flatmates we're having a party with their mate downstairs, I was in bed asleep. Someone literally just walked in off the street and went through all the bedrooms. He came into my room, woke me up and said "sorry, I was looking for the bathroom", obviously I assumed he was with the party and went back to sleep.

The thing is, I think most people in SA have been victim of a house burglary or theft such as mugging/carjacked etc. that we are not surprized by it. Like most people I know are part of the statistic.

2 weeks ago a burglar jumped over our office's wall, tried to break the door open, but as he tried, he saw the CCTV camera recording him. Then he just took his crowbar, grabbed the mat we have in front of the door and jumped back over the wall and ran away. What he's going to do with the mat I have no idea.

Think my village is relatively safe - guy who lived opposite had someone try and take his backdoor out of the frame (apparently that's the modus operandi when you've got those plastic double glazing doors) to get his car keys but the guy got spooked and legged it.
He's kinda lucky he chose that house and not the guy next door, because he's a police dog trainer and has two Alsatians in his garden - would've got torn to shreds.

When I was growing up peoples garages would regularly get done by gypsies but that's gone since the village has grown so much and the fields they used to take over have become building sites.

That's the thing though complacency can set in that you think your place is safe. I thought my town was relatively safe as well. But nice houses and nice cars attracts thieves. All you can do is take precautions and also be on good terms with neighbors to be on the look out.

A friend installed cctv in their place and got broken into twice. All the cctv captured was the thieves with hoods on and their faces covered up and wearing gloves.

Maybe worth getting a big dog like an Alsatian. The feckers would think twice about breaking in.

That's the thing though complacency can set in that you think your place is safe. I thought my town was relatively safe as well. But nice houses and nice cars attracts thieves. All you can do is take precautions and also be on good terms with neighbors to be on the look out.

A friend installed cctv in their place and got broken into twice. All the cctv captured was the thieves with hoods on and their faces covered up and wearing gloves.

Maybe worth getting a big dog like an Alsatian. The feckers would think twice about breaking in.

I have Electrified Fencing. Alarm System inside the house, beams outside. Burglar Bars in front of all my windows, a steel gate in front of all my doors to my house, chow-chow dogs and motion sensor spotlights....

They still manage to get in.

If they want to get in, they'll do it.

I have the CCTV that sends you live time video footage.
also have a few of the wildlife camera that send you a live picture if something sets off the censor.

Cheers for the comments and feedback on your own experiences. In my parents' case, they forced open the front window with a crowbar. The window was old and was a weak point of entry, which the thieves exploited. I didn't even notice at first when I unlocked the front door and noticed the chain was put on from the inside. This was to give the thieves time to escape if they were disturbed whilst ransacking the place.

I managed to get into the house by unhooking the side gate, which was attached to the fence of the property next door, which is currently a building site. Questioned two of the labourers putting up bricks, but both denied seeing anything and said they only started at 8 am and work weekends. That means there are a number of other labourers and builders working the site during the week, who can see who comes in and out of the property and we have no idea who they are and what their background is.

Anyway, got round the back of the house and noticed through the kitchen window that the fridge and freezer doors, cupboard drawers were open and I knew that there had been a break-in. Then back patio door was open and I got into the house that way. Living room side cabinets and papers emptied. I then checked upstairs and they'd tipped everything from the drawers onto the beds. They've taken cash and jewellery. The first port of call for any thieves is to go for the bedrooms; so if you do hide anything of value make sure it's not in your bedrooms. Unfortunately, my parents of that generation to keep cash and jewellery there (this has obviously now got to change). It looked like a quick in and out job, as my parents' car was still in the garage. They weren't interested in the TVs, as too bulky to carry out.

I called 101 and reported it straight away and went downstairs to check the dining room and only then noticed the front window had been prized open with a crowbar and this is how they got entry to the house.

Anyway, spoke to the neighbours on the other side to my parents, as he was burgled 2 months previously. They smashed his back patio door to get entry and ransacked one of the bedrooms, but they say they must have disturbed them and they did a runner.

Anyway, just got to keep checking on my parents' house until they get back from holiday. I haven't told them yet, as did not want to ruin their holiday and they can't do much from where they are anyway. But it's gonna be a massive shock to them when they get back, but also a massive wake-up call to get CCTV and the place alarmed, secure the property properly because, with hindsight, it was really was an easy target. I can't contact their insurance anyway at this point and any assessor would want to speak to them directly.

The two officers who attended - one forensics and the other a PC have done their jobs now and now it is a case of the detectives to investigate, but I am not holding out much hope either and how much they will follow up on checking who is working next door on that building site. Just too much of a coincidence that since they started 6 months ago, two break-ins have occurred in the two adjacent properties.

Burglarly weirdly is not a policing priority most places. I think it's a really invasive crime, especially if the victims are elderly. I hope they dont get too down about it.

Up here, if the police don't have a dedicated team of officers knowing what junkie just got out of prison in your area and thoroughly investigating suspicious sightings that didnt result in a crime, then they have almost no chance of detecting it, and even if they do detect it, recovery of goods can be very limited. My only personal anti-burglary technique is to have a crap car parked clearly in my driveway! (but I still get the odd thief sniffing about and ending up in my backgarden).

On a random note, we call it housebreaking in Scotland, and until recently we had sub-categories of the crime with great names.

Stouthrieth = forcing entry to a house with the intention of assaulting someone
Hamesucken = getting caught thieving in a house and assaulting the occupant

So requested a copy of my statement from the police for the insurance and was told had to request it in writing and there was a fee of £80.:eek:.

Stouthrieth = forcing entry to a house with the intention of assaulting someone
Hamesucken = getting caught thieving in a house and assaulting the occupant
I wouldn't be surprised if England & Wales have similar. We usually are heavily influenced by their acts and have burglary (trespass with the intention of theft) and aggravated burglary (burglary coupled with an assault). If you add fire arms or weapons it increases the severity further also.

I agree it's a really invasive crime and one that isn't taken as seriously as it should be. I've been mugged at knifepoint once in my life and that shook me a bit, I can't imagine what it'd be like to know people were in your home whether it was there or not.

Latest posts