• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Butch or Steyn at 10

Easilty Butch... Backup Grant... and then Pienaar.. (I know he hasn't played there much but from what I've seen, very capable!)

Steyn is gifted but should be played at centre or fullback..

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Butch had an incredible RWC, but he's not the real deal.

Steyn is the greatest player in the world, but he's got to grow in to it. Last 3N he looked like an idiot at 10, but he'll get there.
[/b]
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Greatest player in the world? What about Carter, McCaw, Habana, Burger, Giteau etc etc. Yes steyn is a fantastic player with mountains of potential but he isn't the greatest player in the world! Carter showed much more talent at steyns age
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, I agree with KZN as much potential as Steyn has and how highly rated he is no Saffas are labelling him 'the chosen one'.

And Butch not the real deal? He's been showing consistent form atleast 2 years now. Have you seen any Bath games? [/b][/quote]

Steyn somehow makes me think of JM Hernandez of the Pumas, same hability to play great at fullback and FH, and Stade Francais's (former) coach Fabien Galthie said once about Hernandez that he was awesome FB but a bit risk-taking at FH ... playing too much for himself, trying to make a difference on his own,

This goes well for Steyn as well, the guy should be forbidden to play anywhere else than FB, because THERE, and only there can he brings the danger, and plays the most of his skills for the boks (or the Sharks)

butch.

drop jantjes put montgomery at 15 and leave steyn at center. when monty retires move steyn to 15 and bring in another center like fourie.

I'm in agreement with a lot of the other posters here.

Steyn IMO is a FB or a 13, where he can run with ball in hand and play off the cuff. I too equate him with Hernandez of the Puma's, in that he is a prodigious talent, but he can also go rogue on you, and at 10 you can't have that.

Butch has struggled this 3N, but you do know that he has the experience to get teh job done, which can't be said about too many of the current options. What is needed is a decision on whether you want to try and win now, or develop a new 10 for WC11.

Grant, RPiennar, or even Morne Steyn if he hadn't left for Leicester would be options in that sense, in my opinion, although I think of the 3, M. Steyn is my favourite. I view Grant as too limited and RPiennar a better fit at 15 then 10.

Think Percy is holding on right now, but that Jantes should be wearing the #15 jumper, as he has looked good in the matches that I have seen. Think Percy is lacking a yard of pace at this point.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 10 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
butch.

drop jantjes put montgomery at 15 and leave steyn at center. when monty retires move steyn to 15 and bring in another center like fourie.[/b]
I totally agree

Jantjes is **** imo

Surely Butch James should get the nod at ten thanks to his now comprehensive world wide Rugby education playing for some of the worlds most illustrious club sides in South Africa and the North.

I definitely think he has what it takes and it'll be his skill and intelligence that'll get Bath to the final stages where, hopefully, he'll help to complete Dan Carter's rather rude reality check that is being thrown head first into a raging Heineken Cup competition...

Well according to Heyneke Meyer, Derick Hougaard should have been the number one fly-half for South Africa.

Your thoughts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Well according to Heyneke Meyer, Derick Hougaard should have been the number one fly-half for South Africa.

Your thoughts?[/b]

Was that before Brian Lima ended his career in 2003? Because after that tackle i swear he was never the same again... Have a look at how far away from the action he stands so that he can hoof the ball away with lots of time before getting flattened... Seriously though, he is crap. Morne Steyn, Peter Grant, Butch and Steyn are better than him.

I never understood why people thought Derrick Hougaard was a brilliant flyhalf, he's always seemed pretty crap to me.

he doesn't actually -do- anything other than place kick at goal.

So thats why Leicester Tigers were happy to buy him up.

Place kick at goal seems to be basically all that Tigers want in a fly-half usually. In any case, they have Flood for the more dynamic stuff which knowing Tigers usually extends to amazing things like "passing" and occasionally running past a player instead of straight into him.

Going off topic but I'm still shocked that Tigers haven't bought Tindall and Nonu and attempted to pair the two block-heads together....maybe someone at Tigers HQ was drunk and thought Nonu had changed his name to Mauger?

Meyer's always had a 'thing' for Hougaard. Nobody else really rated, alot of Bulls fans have slowing started losing faith in him since 2005, or atleast the one's I know. Morne Steyn's emergence has been a breath of fresh air for the Bulls backline, and they've got a very able replacement in their new up and coming flyhalf (I think the name's Burton?).

BTW I think the CC final next saturday will make or break M.Steyn's chances of touring with the Boks in the EOY tour. Well atleast I think so, I still think Grant is more favoured by PdV though

Ruan Pienaar ahead of Butch or Steyn. Butch is good but SA need a young player for the future. That is where Steyn is good. but i think incide centre is more suited to steyn. Pienaar can play fly half and he my 1st choice at five-eighth.

Latest posts