• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Calcutta Cup series

B

Bullitt

The Rugby Paper informs us today that as a way to secure Scotlands vote for their 2015 World Cup bid, the RFU have agreed to play 2 fixtures against Scotland per year, starting from 2011.

You know, because it's not as if the fixture lists aren't already congested...

OK, so when and where are they gonna fit those games in...and surely that will dilute the impact the Calcutta Cup has. We've seen the expanded Tri-Nations and in my opinion the extra Sco-Eng games won't work.

The only way I can see the SRU and RFU fitting in a 2 match series in a season is to play the normal fixture during the 6 Nations, and play the additional fixture either before/during the Autumn Interntionals, or just before they do their Summer Tour. There's no way they can fit it in during the 6 Nations, and expanding the 6 Nations to have more than one match between teams would ruin the tournament imo. There's just no room for more matches anyway.

I'm all for another chance to beat that lot from down south, but yeah..congestion is a problem. McKie's idea no doubt though, extra cash in the coffers.

Latest posts