• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Calder calls for Flower of Scotland to be ditched

W

whatamunson

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnew...mbarrassing.php

I think he makes a fair point. Theres more to us as a nation than our rivalry with England.
A song that celebrates us and our nation would be better suited. More songs in general are needed at Murrayfield
and its about time creative fans (thats me ruled out) or Scottish songwriters got on the case. Or we
should even adopt old/traditional songs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ Jun 3 2009, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnew...mbarrassing.php

I think he makes a fair point. Theres more to us as a nation than our rivalry with England.
A song that celebrates us and our nation would be better suited. More songs in general are needed at Murrayfield
and its about time creative fans (thats me ruled out) or Scottish songwriters got on the case. Or we
should even adopt old/traditional songs.[/b]
Yes! I totally agree.

I think we should use Highland Cathedral, although the music was written by two Germans, but it really stirs something in me. I f you look it up to on YouTube there will be one with lyrics.

Butbutbut...

Everybody knows it. I disagree that it's a simply a song about rivalry with England. It's a song about Scotland fighting off invaders; those invaders happened to be England.

I can't see many other songs being sung with such clarity and bombast that FOS is.

Yeah, one on hand it can be seen as just a song about us beating the English in a war...on the other it can be seen as a song celebrating our proud history, which just happens to include defeating England.

I like how they have the second verse unaccompanied these days, makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Oh absolutely. That's something I've always said. It's a God awful song. It really is a dire to listen to, made even worse with the crowd and the pipes and drums always well out of sinc with each other. There has got to be a better option. Something more stirring and more uplifting. Even something along the lines of Scotland The Brave......

Great song. Seriously, ranks with the Marseillaise and Bread of Heaven. I guess you guys are flailing about for inspiration.

The French were beating themselves up over their anthem last year - doesn't reflect a mutli-cultural flim-flam let's-be-nice-to-each-other modern nation. f*** off.

Why not something like Ireland's Call? Scotland, SCOOOOOTland ...

Then you might beat the Irish - but only on cringe factor

Let it be - it's a great song, you just need great players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ Jun 3 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think we should use Highland Cathedral, although the music was written by two Germans, but it really stirs something in me. I f you look it up to on YouTube there will be one with lyrics.[/b]

While I have no opinion on this Alexmac touches on a good point. Its a song written by two Germans who came to Scotland and saw a place so awesome and fantastic that they had to put their tribute into song.

It reminds me of this Czech composer who came to the UK as a war refugee during WWII and during his childhood went to everywhere in the British Isles and found the place so profoundly amazing that not only did he settle here but he used his skills as a composer to give something back to the Country which had welcomed him with open arms: he penned a montage of the most famous songs in British & Irish history from Rule Britannia to Danny Boy to Men of Harlech to various seafaring songs and so on which was the song which opened BBC Radio 4 every day from sometime in the 1970s till 2007.

Bottom line: it is a huge honor if someone from countries afar are composing stuff in your honour out of genuine heartfelt thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 3 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great song. Seriously, ranks with the Marseillaise and Bread of Heaven. I guess you guys are flailing about for inspiration.

The French were beating themselves up over their anthem last year - doesn't reflect a mutli-cultural flim-flam let's-be-nice-to-each-other modern nation. f*** off.

Let it be - it's a great song, you just need great players.[/b]

That reminds me. When I was a nipper I used to remember hearing the Ireland anthem and getting confused with the lyrics. I heard:

"Ireland, Ireland, together standing tall...
Scotland, scotland, are better than us all!"

It made me giggle. :lol:

I think it should stay because it's been used for so long and there is no point changing it because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. I can see the problems that people have with it but I don't think many people would be thinking that way had Mr. Calder made this opinion public...but that too is a matter of opinion.

I also think there are bigger fish to fry with Scottish rugby so how about we get to it, eh chaps?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 3 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The Marseillaise and Il Canto degli Italiani are the best anthems I can think of. Flower of Scotland comes no-where near. You're right on one thing though, at least it's not as bad as Ireland's call.....

Dont think getting rid of Flower of Scotland would be a smart move. Its a very inspirational tune.

Weird than most non Scots like Flower of Scotland but actual Scots dont. I think its a great anthem, i dont think theres anything else we could change it too thats more inspirational, i hope it stays.

I'm for "I'm gonna be"...

Seriously it doesn't bother me much. If pushed I'd prefer Highland Cathedral and Scotland the Brave (but that's difficult to sing)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 3 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think it should stay because it's been used for so long and there is no point changing it because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. I can see the problems that people have with it but I don't think many people would be thinking that way had Mr. Calder made this opinion public...but that too is a matter of opinion.

I also think there are bigger fish to fry with Scottish rugby so how about we get to it, eh chaps?[/b]

it's only been used for 20 years if memory serves hardly that long considering other countries anthems, you don't use Flower of Scotland at the Commonwealth Games so is that anthem popular enough to replace Flower of Scotland?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 21 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 3 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also think there are bigger fish to fry with Scottish rugby so how about we get to it, eh chaps?[/b]

it's only been used for 20 years if memory serves hardly that long considering other countries anthems, you don't use Flower of Scotland at the Commonwealth Games so is that anthem popular enough to replace Flower of Scotland?
[/b][/quote]

I'm fairly certain we use Scotland the Brave at the Commonwealth Games, and many would like that to replace Flower of Scotland. Only problem is that it's hard to sing and could easily turn into a dirge...like Flower actually.

"This is a song that people think they know, but hardly anybody does. It very much has the feeling of a manufactured piece of tartan self-pride. It has little to do with real life in Scotland now or at any time in our history, and does not place us anywhere internationally except on the lid of the world's shortbread tin"

We introduced Flower of Scotland at sporting events due to the no entirely positive reception of God Save the Queen, but it is still entirely unofficial. It's unique amongst anthems, I would guess, having been written by a load of hippies on drugs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 4 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Well agree Shtove

I apologize to Englanders and especially to Prestwick my friend but..........

But if I had an opportunity to sing something Fu***ing towards Russia's team I would do with pleasure ;)

But attitudes in between England and Scotland is far better than in between us

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Jun 23 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's unique amongst anthems, I would guess, having been written by a load of hippies on drugs.[/b]

Ireland's Call :bad:

Anyway, do you have any songs you can sing that aren't in English?

Latest posts