• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Calendar changes

Bad for Irish rugby. It means IRFU have to change preseason regime. And while we will see more tours to North America etc it is strange. The changes put pressure on ERCC too

Hooray for mature compromise. The big winners are Super Rugby having no break and a 39% increase in Tier 1 and Tier 2 matches. Fantastic that Georgia and Romania will host Tier 1 tests and that ranking points will become more relevant in determining who plays Tier 1 nations. This will increase the relevance of the REC and ARC and create real opportunities for the gap between the 6N / SANZAAR and the rest of the world.

Huge credit to all concerned for finding some common ground and to Beaumont and Pichot. So much for Beaumont being ultra conservative and resistant to change!

Positive changes for tier 2 and lower nations. Decent showings at WC 2019 and 23 should enable some nations further games against tier 1 too.

Also, England touring the Pacific Islands :)

This is a joke for NH in a way as it creates an 11month if not 12month season

This is a joke for NH in a way as it creates an 11month if not 12month season

They've already been playing 11 month seasons... NH having a longer season has nothing to do with world calendar but their decision to play 30 game club seasons... hell England and Wales play almost 40 games

I really fancy Georgia to cause upsets at their 55,000 capacity stadium. What an incredible atmosphere there will be there and surely one that a lot of players wouldn't have experienced before

The big change here is getting tier 2 nations to host games, as oppose to visiting us and getting smashed. But Georgia and Romania hosting matches in the summer is a bit weird. It seems to distance them even further from the 6 nations unions.

They've already been playing 11 month seasons... NH having a longer season has nothing to do with world calendar but their decision to play 30 game club seasons... hell England and Wales play almost 40 games

No in Ireland international guys start at late September. They're given proper preseason break and managed right. Where in the new calendar can they get that. They've to stay playing until July and effectively can't move season back later as they now have Autumn games brought forward. I think overall it suits Southern Hemisphere enormously and will cause a lot of clubs in France especially forcing players to consider retiring from international game.

The big change here is getting tier 2 nations to host games, as oppose to visiting us and getting smashed. But Georgia and Romania hosting matches in the summer is a bit weird. It seems to distance them even further from the 6 nations unions.

But fact it's on in July will see it effectively be like A teams fulfilling these fixtures

No in Ireland international guys start at late September. They're given proper preseason break and managed right. Where in the new calendar can they get that. They've to stay playing until July and effectively can't move season back later as they now have Autumn games brought forward. I think overall it suits Southern Hemisphere enormously and will cause a lot of clubs in France especially forcing players to consider retiring from international game.

Gotcha... as a followe of top 14 off-season and player welfare are really foreign concepts to me.

Gotcha... as a followe of top 14 off-season and player welfare are really foreign concepts to me.

In Ireland we've arguably the best player welfare in world rugby for national guys limiting their minutes etc. Now it's been really tested by a calendar to suit Southern Hemisphere. And it will offset the Tier 2 games as it'll treat them as A games which are already there via Churchill Cup etc

Nice to hear they also talked to us, but what about the likes of Spain? They're well ahead of us.

Nice to hear they also talked to us, but what about the likes of Spain? They're well ahead of us.

I can only imagine naming Germany and Brazil, but not Spain, is an oversight. Spain have the opportunity for regular Tier 1 fixtures if they rise one ranking place in Europe. They clearly benefit from these changes even if we set aside the issue of 6N reform which I don't think can be ruled out during this period.

I can only imagine naming Germany and Brazil, but not Spain, is an oversight. Spain have the opportunity for regular Tier 1 fixtures if they rise one ranking place in Europe. They clearly benefit from these changes even if we set aside the issue of 6N reform which I don't think can be ruled out during this period.
I'm not exactly familiar with how things work, so thanks for the explanation.

But fact it's on in July will see it effectively be like A teams fulfilling these fixtures

If the 6N members send A teams they risk losing lots of ranking points and increasing calls for change in the 6N. My concern with July is that it will be very hot in the likes of Romania and Spain at that time (and presumably Georgia). I suppose evening kick offs will be an option.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not exactly familiar with how things work, so thanks for the explanation.

I'm no authority! Everything looks good on paper but things may be different in reality (for example if the matches between 6N and REC are made to be non-ranking). But I am very optimistic this isn't a deception. We have already seen Georgia get Tier 1 tests and Romania getting an overseas tour. World Rugby are walking the walk and talking the talk.

If the 6N members send A teams they risk losing lots of ranking points and increasing calls for change in the 6N. My concern with July is that it will be very hot in the likes of Romania and Spain at that time (and presumably Georgia). I suppose evening kick offs will be an option.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm no authority! Everything looks good on paper but things may be different in reality (for example if the matches between 6N and REC are made to be non-ranking). But I am very optimistic this isn't a deception. We have already seen Georgia get Tier 1 tests and Romania getting an overseas tour. World Rugby are walking the walk and talking the talk.

Well they may risk it as player welfare is more important. Equally they've held they're own sending A teams to competitions so no fear. Equally if they keep developing young lads it'll act as better for Ireland to blood new guys as will other nations.

It's not an accident. Brazil and Germany have clearly been targetted by World Rugby while Spain, or more specifically, Spanish Rugby Union, needs to clean and tidy its mess before receiving further trust from World Rugby. I'm not happy, because I feel the efforts to support all forms of the game (XV & 7s, men & women) should be more recognised. But we're still talking about a union with a huge debt, managed by old men without a clue in terms of business and who hasn't a development plan in place. Can't blame them.

Latest posts