• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Can anyone explain in detail a 22 meter drop out

C

ckuxmann

I don't understand, if i touch it down, then do i run up to the 22 and drop kick or is it more like a opening kickoff? Where the ref stops play and then restarts it

Cody

a 22m drop out comes after the ball has gone dead from the oposing team, or if the defending team grounds the ball when retriving the ball inside the goal area.

Then play is to resume, from a drop kick from the 22m line. This can be done straight away but the only offside rules are that all people in the kicking team has to be behind the kicker, and the defending team cannot go over the 22m line. so effectivly the 22m is the offline line.

There is no minimum distance the ball has to travel. it just has to be kicked over that 22m line.

hope this explains it, but i am sure someone else out there can say it better.

You have to take the kick but within the 22 metre line. Opposition players can come right up to the line but are not allowed to go pass your 22 until you've kicked it.

Sometimes you'll see players passing the ball to one another and if there's no one in front of them they might just tap the ball over the 22 line, pick it up than try running off with it. But the ref will give a team a certain amount of time to kick the ball so if they try delaying it the ref will call them up for time wasting.

Latest posts