• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canada: A Realistic Assessment

I think Canada can certainly match it with Japan and Tonga in the backs, but I still have my doubts in the tight 5 (Cudmore aside). While I don't realistically think Canada, Japan and Tonga will beat France or New Zealand, none of them should be underestimated.

I would love for Canada to win the Japan and Tonga matches, and also for them to upset France, but perhaps a situation where Canada, Japan, and Tonga, each win a match is on the cards

Wouldnt say Canada could match Tonga in the backs on Paper

Samisoni Fisilau - Cheifs, ITM Cup.
Taniela Moa - Super 15, ITM Cup.
Kurt Morath - ITM CUP (one of the highest kicking % in Int Rugby)
Siale Piutau - Super 15, ITM Cup.
Andrew Mailei - ITM Cup.
Alipate Fatafehi - ITM Cup, Currie Cup, ProD2
Viliame Iongi - Brumbies.
Fetu'u Vainikolo - Super 15, ITM Cup , NZ Barbarians.
Vungakoto Lilo - Bristol
Sukanaivalu Hufanga - Top 14.
Hudson Tonga'uiha - London Welsh.

Though in saying that Canada's attack looked awesome against Italy A during this yrs Churchill Cup.

Looking forward to the battle for 3rd place in Pool A. Tonga, Canada and Japan are all quite close to each other so those games could go either way. Gut feeling is that Tonga will get third, and Canada will narrowly beat Japan.

If you were to have a look at the squads You would think Canada would go 0-4. Canada though have a good record against Tonga, though Tonga looks alot more professional these days(Top players able to play, Time together). Tonga also scored the most points in the PNC with a "B"side(missing Tonga'uiha,Pulu,Aulika,Maka,Moa,Fatafehi,Piutau). I think the Japan game will be another match Canada will target. I'll pick Japan to be too strong after thrashing Canada back to back in 2009. Then you can consider the scary fact that Japan has improved alot since then(Could field a 2nd XV that play better than they did in 09)

Canada's lack of "professional" players is a bit of a misnomer, Tonga has more professional players because they qualify as non-foriegn players on most teams due to agreements with europe and Oz and NZ, if Canada had this same situation many of our domestic players would be playing overseas, Chauncey O'Toole, Adam Kleeburger are a couple of players where it is pretty shcoking they aren't playing professionally.

Canada 18 - Tonga 26
Canada 10 - France 30
Canada 23 - Japan 18
Canada 13 - NZ stop the slaughter around 50

I guess we finish 1w - 3L and no bonus points. I hope we pull one out over Tonga and hope the french crap the bed and we keep it close.

I wonder why Mensah-Coker wasn't selected? I would have picked him over 3 or 4 of the other guys. I think Crowley is building for the next world cup with some of the younger selections.

Canada 18 - Tonga 26
Canada 10 - France 30
Canada 23 - Japan 18

I guess we finish 1w - 3L and no bonus points. I hope we pull one out over Tonga and hope the french crap the bed and we keep it close.

I wonder why Mensah-Coker wasn't selected? I would have picked him over 3 or 4 of the other guys. I think Crowley is building for the next world cup with some of the younger selections.

Mensah-Coker gives up too many unforced errors in attack and is a liability in defence.

From what I gather, he also has a reputation as a partier and his dedication to the sport is questionable. In 2007, Mensah-Coker was 23, playing for Albi in the Top 14, and was a starter for Canada at the WC. Fast forward four years and he's 27 (should be in his prime), playing in the B.C. Premier League, and being dropped from the WC squad. I suppose it says a lot when even RFU Championship sides no longer have interest in him.

To his credit he is huge (6'5" and 230lbs?) and has good speed, but for whatever reason he can't parcel it up. To pharaphrase someone, he has the tools but no toolbox

Mensah-Coker gives up too many unforced errors in attack and is a liability in defence.

From what I gather, he also has a reputation as a partier and his dedication to the sport is questionable. In 2007, Mensah-Coker was 23, playing for Albi in the Top 14, and was a starter for Canada at the WC. Fast forward four years and he's 27 (should be in his prime), playing in the B.C. Premier League, and being dropped from the WC squad. I suppose it says a lot when even RFU Championship sides no longer have interest in him.

To his credit he is huge (6'5" and 230lbs?) and has good speed, but for whatever reason he can't parcel it up. To pharaphrase someone, he has the tools but no toolbox

Yah I think he and Spicer party pretty hard which may have made them a liability to the team. Spicer was turning heads in the Canadian program a couple of years ago and even spent a season playing in the Top 14 with Auch as did Mensah Coker with Albi but both have really dropped completely off the map.

The Canadian players who didn't see action or very little on Saturday played as the Canadian Selects vs. the Ontario Blues on sunday and won by a convincing 46-16 with an especially tremendous second half, detaile can be found at the rugb canada website, but it looks like Crowley was impressed with Kleeberger, Smith and Hiaryama especially.

Hirayama is a good player. I have always liked the way he plays.

Canada 18 - Tonga 26
Canada 10 - France 30
Canada 23 - Japan 18

Hmmm you seem mighty certain of a win over Japan? Japan beat Tonga and are also Pacific Nations Champions.. They are also Ranked 12th at the moment.

Canada will finish fourth or third in the group, most likely fourth. They´ll defeat Tonga and could do well vs Japan but this time around it looks, to me, like Japan are going to win the match. Canada have an all-rounded team with a standout backrow. Tonga have more professional players but few doing well at the top level. Jamie Cudmore is big game player and certainly has a better profile than any professional Tongan player and DTH van der Merwe was the highest try scorer for Glasgow. Don´t be fooled by the high number of Canadian based players as the domestic compeition has improved greatly and is producing outstanding players such as backrowers Chauncey O'Toole and Jebb Sinclair who are to play for big U.K teams after the World Cup.

Full Squad

Hookers

Ryan Hamilton (BC Bears)
Pat Riordan (BC Bears)

Props

Hubert Buydens (Prairie Wolf Pack)
Scott Franklin (Prairie Wolf Pack)
Jason Marshall (BC Bears)
Andrew Tiedemann (Prairie Wolf Pack)
Frank Walsh (The Rock)

Second Row

Jamie Cudmore (Clermont Auvergne, France)
Brian Erichsen (B.C. Bears)
Tyler Hotson (Plymouth Albion, England)

Back Row

Aaron Carpenter (Plymouth Albion, England)
Nanyak Dala (Prairie Wolf Pack)
Adam Kleeberger (Unattached)
Jeremy Kyne (Prairie Wolf Pack)
Chauncey O'Toole (Ospreys, Wales)
Jebb Sinclair (London Irish, England)

Scrum-half

Ed Fairhurst (BC Bears)
Jamie Mackenzie (Esher, England)
Sean White (BC Bears)

Fly-half

Nathan Hirayama (BC Bears)
Ander Monro (Ontario Blues)

Centre

Ryan Smith (Prairie Wolf Pack)
Conor Trainor (BC Bears)
Phil Mackenzie (Esher, England)
Mike Scholz (Ontario Blues)
DTH van der Merwe (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland)

Wing
Ciaran Hearn (The Rock)
Taylor Paris (Ontario Blues)

Fullback

Matt Evans (Unattached)
James Pritchard (Bedford, England)

Most likely wishfull thinking but I think we can avenge the last minute tie Japan pulled off 2007.

Latest posts