Conal

First XV
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
France 27-33 Canada

Canadians relish win over France
The Province June 14, 2010 1:07 AM Canada recorded an historic 33-27 international rugby win over France A to book a first-ever trip to the Churchill Cup Championship finals next week in New Jersey.

In a hard-fought game with multiple lead changes, the Canadians scored a key try by Manitoba native Brian Erichsen in the 70th minute and held off a late French charge for the upset win.

Erichsen's try was set up by an intercepted pass by White Rock's Adam Kleeberger.

"I didn't really know how much room I had, but when I made those first few steps it felt like I was floating on a cloud," said Erichsen, who had left the field earlier in the game to have seven stitches for a cut on his head.

"It feels amazing to beat a quality side like France ... . We had fifteen guys working to the bone and in the end we pulled it out."

Canada will now play the England Saxons, who beat the United States in the other semifinal.

The Americans will meet France A in the battle for third, and Uruguay takes on Russia in the playoff for fifth.

From the province news paper

go on canada!! anythink they can top england in the final??

Well done to Canada, the second half of that match was quality, some of the best rugby i've seen in a while

I can't imagine Canada will beat Saxons in the final, i don't think Saxons will win by as much as they beat USA, but they'll win.
The Canadian scrum is fairly weak, so that's something that the Saxons will exploit (like France did)

i agree i think the saxons is a bridge too far
but awesome game thoses guys must feel over the moon
and i havnt seen the saxons play is their scrum good?

It's good, but not amazing.
Probably as strong as the french one, which overpowered the Canadians

If Alex Goode plays and allows as many interceptions as he did against the USA, who knows what could happen?

Latest posts