LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
June 4th 14:30 Local Time at Franklin's Gardens

Here are the lineups

Canadian squad
Name-Club (Hometown)
1. Hubert Buydens - Prairie Wolf Pack/CRC (Regina, SASK)
2. Pat Riordan (Captain) - B.C. Bears/CRC (Burnaby, B.C.)
3. Jason Marshall - B.C. Bears/CRC (Vancouver, B.C.)
4. Tyler Hotson - Plymouth Albion/UK (Vancouver, B.C.)
5. Brian Erichsen - B.C. Bears/CRC (Vancouver, B.C.)
6. Jebb Sinclair - The Rock/CRC (Fredericton, N.B.)
7. Chauncey O'Toole - The Rock/CRC (Belle Isle, N.B.)
8. Aaron Carpenter - Plymouth Albion/UK (Brantford, ON)
9. Ed Fairhurst - UBC Ravens (Victoria, BC)
10. Ander Monro - Ontario Blues (Victoria, B.C.)
11. Phil Mackenzie - Esher/UK (Oakville, ON)
12. Ryan Smith - Prairie Wolf Pack/CRC (Caledon, ON)
13. Conor Trainor - B.C. Bears/CRC (Vancouver, B.C.)
14. Ciaran Hearn - The Rock/CRC (Conception Bay, NFLD)
15. James Pritchard - Bedford Blues/UK (Parkes, NSW, Australia)

Replacements
16. Ryan Hamilton - B.C. Bears/CRC (West Vancouver, B.C.)
17. Andrew Tiedemann - Prairie Wolf Pack/CRC (St. Albert, AB.)
18. Mitch Gudgeon - B.C. Bears/CRC (Victoria, B.C.)
19. Nanyak Dala Prairie Wolf Pack/CRC (Saskatoon, SASK)
20. Sean White - B.C. Bears/CRC (Victoria, B.C.)
21. Mike Scholz Ontario Blues/CRC (Oakville, ON)
22. Matt Evans - Unattached (Duncan, B.C.)

Coach Kieran Crowley
Assistants: Geraint John, Clive Griffiths, Neil Barnes

Italy "A"
15 Ruggero TREVISAN (BancaMonteParma Crociati)*
14 Andrea BACCHETTI (Femi-CZ Rovigo, 2 caps)
13 Denis MAJSTOROVIC (Estra I Cavalieri Prato)
12 Matteo PRATICHETTI (MPS Aironi, 22 caps)
11 Michele SEPE (Benetton Treviso, 3 caps)
10 Riccardo BOCCHINO (MPS Aironi, 6 caps)*
9 ***o TEBALDI (MPS Aironi, 14 caps)
8 Manoa VOSAWAI (Benetton Treviso, 8 caps)
7 Mauro BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais, 84 caps)
6 Valerio BERNABO' (Benetton Treviso, 19 caps) - captain
5 Marco BORTOLAMI (MPS Aironi, 84 caps)
4 Corniel VAN ZYL (Benetton Treviso)
3 Fabio STAIBANO (MPS Aironi, 9 caps)
2 Tommaso D'APICE (Futura Park Rugby Roma)*
1 Alberto DE MARCHI (MPS Aironi)

16 Andrea MANICI (HBS GranDucato Parma)*
17 Matias AGUERO (MPS Aironi, 17 caps)
18 Dario CHISTOLINI (Petrarca Padova)
19 Joshua FURNO (MPS Aironi)*
20 Francesco MINTO (Benetton Treviso)
21 Giulio TONIOLATTI (MPS Aironi, 5 caps)
22 Durandt GERBER (HBS GranDucato Parma)

Coach Gianluca Guidi

A decent Canadian lineup(bolstered by a demi-god scrum half), Cudmore took a knock last week and is being rested for the Russia game which will be a full test match. I like the back line lots of veteran experience plus a very energetic Conor Trainor getting into some game action. I also really like the #6-8 all three of these guys should be locks for the RWC and are some tough customers. The front three are pretty weak and this is where Canada could get pushed around a bit in the scrum, the engine house is a little better Hotson and Erichsen are good prospects. Monro is coming off an injury and his fitness could be an issue he may be pulled off relatively early. I would expect to see Pritchard handle the kicking duties, Monro can fill in with Ciaran Hearn available for some long distance attempts as well as an emergency. The bench isn't spectacular, some people are getting their first games back in a Canada jersey for a while with Dala, and Scholz not having played in a while. Sean White will be an effective replacement if he needs to come in and Evans is versatile at #22.

For Canadian fans who want to watch the game, it will be carried by Setanta Sports, but due to commitments with Super Rugby and the Top 14 final it will be shown tape delayed airing at 5 p.m. Eastern time and will be followed immediately by the Saxons vs. USA game. You may want to check your local listings if you are in a different time zone then I am.

Last edited:
Should be a good match, hopefully a Canada win (nothing against Italy, but I like to see Canada do well)

If Canada can beat the France A side, I think they can defeat the Italy A side. Hopefully I'll be watching this game and hopefully Canada play the way they did last year.

I'd like to see a rematch final of Canada vs. England Saxons, with Canada taking it home this year (albeit England have the home advantage). Or maybe a Tonga vs. Russia final, just to be different haha.

A pretty good match ... well done Canada ... Chauncey O'Toole had a great match, and was deservedly named man of the match

Was there ever any doubt that his Edness would overcome all odds to win?

Was there ever any doubt that his Edness would overcome all odds to win?

:lol: ... He's an AWESOME player ... and charitable too ... taking his game back a couple of notches, and allowing his team mates to shine :D

Exactly. It was only his seemingly (though of course intentionally) inaccurate passes that allowed the 10 to show some sick hands on occasion.

Canada with another great start to the Churchill Cup with an impressive second half erasing a 9-6 deficit and leading them to a 26-12 victory over Italy "A". Chauncey O'Toole was the man of the match and was fantastic hitting the line with pace and power every time he touched the ball, and releasesd James Pritchard for the try that put the game out of reach for the Italians. Jason Marshall also impressed at #3 and Ander Monro played well considering he hasn't played much rugby in the last couple of months and slotted a drop goal, as for TRF favourite Ed Fairhurst despite a couple of box-kicks that wandered into the stands due to the wind I thought he was effective at releasing Canada's back line. The scrum was an area of worry and Pat Riordan had a pretty terrible game, a couple of knock ons and some poor throws led to some bad line-outs. The bench saw little action with Dala and Tieddeman providing some impact.

For Italy only the scrum was an area to be pleased about although the goal kicking in the extreme wind was also fairly impressive, the backs in particular looked brutal and uninterested with only a couple of good moments. The yellow card to Bernabo cost his team dearly.

Canada. 26 (6)
Tries: Aaron Carpenter 45', Jason Marshall 47', James Pritchard 56'
Conversions: James Pritchard 1(from 3 attempts) 57'
Penalties James Pritchard 2(from 3 attempts) 8' and 70'
Drop Goal: Ander Monro 30'

Italy. 12(9)
Penalties: ***o Tebaldi 4(from 6 attempts) 17' 31' 38' 63'

Yellow Card : Valero Bernabo 44'

Canada with another great start to the Churchill Cup with an impressive second half erasing a 9-6 deficit and leading them to a 26-12 victory over Italy "A". Chauncey O'Toole was the man of the match and was fantastic hitting the line with pace and power every time he touched the ball, and releasesd James Pritchard for the try that put the game out of reach for the Italians. Jason Marshall also impressed at #3 and Ander Monro played well considering he hasn't played much rugby in the last couple of months and slotted a drop goal, as for TRF favourite Ed Fairhurst despite a couple of box-kicks that wandered into the stands due to the wind I thought he was effective at releasing Canada's back line. The scrum was an area of worry and Pat Riordan had a pretty terrible game, a couple of knock ons and some poor throws led to some bad line-outs. The bench saw little action with Dala and Tieddeman providing some impact.

For Italy only the scrum was an area to be pleased about although the goal kicking in the extreme wind was also fairly impressive, the backs in particular looked brutal and uninterested with only a couple of good moments. The yellow card to Bernabo cost his team dearly.

Canada. 26 (6)
Tries: Aaron Carpenter 45', Jason Marshall 47', James Pritchard 56'
Conversions: James Pritchard 1(from 3 attempts) 57'
Penalties James Pritchard 2(from 3 attempts) 8' and 70'
Drop Goal: Ander Monro 30'

Italy. 12(9)
Penalties: ***o Tebaldi 4(from 6 attempts) 17' 31' 38' 63'

Yellow Card : Valero Bernabo 44'

I thought the Canadian team gelled together very well (particularly as the game went on), considering the team had only been together for four days.

It's true that the Canadian pack struggled in the scrums, but they mauled well, and competed in the rucks, securing a number of turn overs at crucial times.

I thought the loose forwards linked well with the backs, and the team took their chances well, and were usually rewarded with some points

Glad to hear that Canada got the win - was going to watch it but it clashed with the Wales match

Canada will only get better throughout the tournament as they have more time playing together as a team, Italy 'A' (though containing some different players) played during the Six Nations, so not quite as long a lay off

I look forward to seeing them go up against Russia
Will have split loyalties as I do like Canada, but I often find myself routing for the underdogs, which will be Russia (and they have vague links to Sale, through Steve Diamond/Kingsley Jones)

Glad to hear that Canada got the win - was going to watch it but it clashed with the Wales match

Canada will only get better throughout the tournament as they have more time playing together as a team, Italy 'A' (though containing some different players) played during the Six Nations, so not quite as long a lay off

I look forward to seeing them go up against Russia
Will have split loyalties as I do like Canada, but I often find myself routing for the underdogs, which will be Russia (and they have vague links to Sale, through Steve Diamond/Kingsley Jones)

I thought the Canadian team gelled together very well (particularly as the game went on), considering the team had only been together for four days.

It's true that the Canadian pack struggled in the scrums, but they mauled well, and competed in the rucks, securing a number of turn overs at crucial times.

I thought the loose forwards linked well with the backs, and the team took their chances well, and were usually rewarded with some points

Agreed about the loose forwards Shaggy,they had a level of intensity and work rate that was very high, I really like #6-8 on the team, as well Hotson and Erichsen did well in the second row, If Riordan and Buydens had done a little more in the scrum it could have been a much more complete victory, perhaps having Tkachuk back in action will improve this area. I thought Monro looked really good at #10 only having played 100 minutes of rugby in two months before the match he looked very composed.

Agreed about the loose forwards Shaggy,they had a level of intensity and work rate that was very high, I really like #6-8 on the team, as well Hotson and Erichsen did well in the second row, If Riordan and Buydens had done a little more in the scrum it could have been a much more complete victory, perhaps having Tkachuk back in action will improve this area. I thought Monro looked really good at #10 only having played 100 minutes of rugby in two months before the match he looked very composed.

Yep, Monro played well, and was definitely a steadying influence ... the conditions were difficult to execute a good tactical kicking game ... even the "Great One" in the number 9 jersey made a couple of kicking errors :p

As for the scrums, i'm wondering how much of the problem is with the props ... it seemed to me that at times, the second row and back row weren't quite as committed to pushing, as the could have been

Yep, Monro played well, and was definitely a steadying influence ... the conditions were difficult to execute a good tactical kicking game ... even the "Great One" in the number 9 jersey made a couple of kicking errors :p

As for the scrums, i'm wondering how much of the problem is with the props ... it seemed to me that at times, the second row and back row weren't quite as committed to pushing, as the could have been

His Edness is merely adding some poor quality footage to the tapes so the Russians and Saxons will take away a sense of overonfidence when facing him, he is lulling them into a sense of false security, since "The Great One" obviously never makes errors based on a lack of skill. Some of Pritchards kicks at goal were clearly taken by the wind although at least he nailed the gimmees and his speed on that last try always amazes me when he hits full tilt.

Cudmore is coming into the lineup for the Russian game, I wonder if we will see some more drive from the engine room with his presence.

His Edness is merely adding some poor quality footage to the tapes so the Russians and Saxons will take away a sense of overonfidence when facing him, he is lulling them into a sense of false security, since "The Great One" obviously never makes errors based on a lack of skill. Some of Pritchards kicks at goal were clearly taken by the wind although at least he nailed the gimmees and his speed on that last try always amazes me when he hits full tilt.

Cudmore is coming into the lineup for the Russian game, I wonder if we will see some more drive from the engine room with his presence.

:lol: shish ... there are spies on this forum that will alert the English and Russian management to "The Great One's" cunning plan :D

... yes, hopefully Cudmore will improve the engine room ... it's a shame that the plan to get those Georgian forwards to defect to Canada, failed last year :D

:lol: shish ... there are spies on this forum that will alert the English and Russian management to "The Great One's" cunning plan :D

... yes, hopefully Cudmore will improve the engine room ... it's a shame that the plan to get those Georgian forwards to defect to Canada, failed last year :D

As I have said to Alex on here many times, A Georgian front five with Canada's #6-15, would be a pretty good team I would say very competitive with the likes of Italy, Scotland and Fiji. Are you watching this States vs. Saxons game Shaggy? zzzzzz. Nice of them to show up this is awful from them I expected at least some kind of resistance.

As I have said to Alex on here many times, A Georgian front five with Canada's #6-15, would be a pretty good team I would say very competitive with the likes of Italy, Scotland and Fiji. Are you watching this States vs. Saxons game Shaggy? zzzzzz. Nice of them to show up this is awful from them I expected at least some kind of resistance.

... I am watching that game, but don't want to corrupt this thread by talking about that game :D ... gotta feel sorry playing against a team full of guys trying to force their way into the England team, in world cup year though :)

Impressive game overall. With DTH, Tkachuk, Kleeberger, and Cudmore in the starting XV, this team certainly has the potential to go 2-2 at the World Cup.

My thoughts:
- O'Toole needs a contract playing top flight rugby. He was by far the best player on the pitch today.
- While far from perfect, Marshall has quietly established himself as Canada's number one tighthead.
- Erichsen will be a good partner for Cudmore in the second row.
- Ed didn't make kicking errors. Gravity and wind resistance just failed to show up.

Oh, and lets hope Canada doesn't take Russia lightly and look ahead to the final. Russia is a quality side.

Good result for Canada, That Italy 'A' side had some names in there that could be in the senior side come RWC.

Impressive game overall. With DTH, Tkachuk, Kleeberger, and Cudmore in the starting XV, this team certainly has the potential to go 2-2 at the World Cup.

My thoughts:
- O'Toole needs a contract playing top flight rugby. He was by far the best player on the pitch today.
- While far from perfect, Marshall has quietly established himself as Canada's number one tighthead.
- Erichsen will be a good partner for Cudmore in the second row.
- Ed didn't make kicking errors. Gravity and wind resistance just failed to show up.

Oh, and lets hope Canada doesn't take Russia lightly and look ahead to the final. Russia is a quality side.

Agreed with all your points, Chauncey could really show up Glasgow for not giving him a better chance if another Magners League side would pick him up, and Marshall looked really good. Erichsen is one tough customer isn't he, seems to enjoy the pain of contact.

The intensity of the Canadian team was so much higher than the Italians, possesion was dominated by the Canucks, with Van De Merwe in the lineup it could have gotten really ugly for the Azzuri.

Latest posts