• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canadians heading to New Zealand for RWC?

nztrip2011

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Canada
My name is Shane and I am helping organize games between some Kiwi clubs and Canadian Rugby Supporters heading to New Zealand for the RWC 2011.

I currently know of 3 rugby games scheduled in the host cities where Canada play.

1 in Whangarei and 2 in Napier.

The first game is in Maungakaramea about 20 minutes South of Whangarei against Mid Western RSC. The game will be held on Tuesday September 13th, it will be an early evening game (so probably under floodlights).

Everyone who plays or watches will be fed, they'll help wherever possible with getting people to and from the ground and that they'll make sure the beer is cold!

"The club is called Mid Western RSC, and we play in the Northland Premier division. We have several players who have Super 14 experience or play for Northland but we'll adjust the strength of our team to make a good game of it - even if it turns out to be an old boys game as we discussed.

Thanks for this Shane, I'm really looking foward to the RWC and all of the travelling fans arriving here - the Canadians will be first here for us so you'll have plenty of support from us!" - James Merry
The second call for a game is from Taradale rugby and sports club in Hawke's Bay

We are more than pleased that Canada is playing 2 world cup games here in September this year.

We have a very active social golden oldies rugby team within our club, we are planning on hosting a mini golden oldie tournament during the period that your national team is in Napier.

Every Friday & Saturday 24th Septhember our rugby club will be open from 4pm till late for anyone wishing to watch RWC games. A big screen for fine viewing, our restaurant will be open as will our bar for a few quite ones. Everyone welcome to join in with our local rugby club patrons and visitors from Japan.

Sunday the 25th we are hosting a mini golden oldie rugby tournament.
At 8.00am for those that are keen, we encouraged you to experience/ be apart of preparing and laying a traditional Moari evening meal called a "Hangi".

Whilst the Kai (food) is cooking in the earth, the rugby will commence, kickoff at 1.00pm.

We have a team from Japan confirmed to play as well as our own local Taradale 69er's.

Teams from throughout the Hawke's Bay region and even a couple from Manuwatu a neighbouring district.

Following the rugby and aftermatch antics the Hangi will be lifted and an evening meal will be had by all.

The third call for a game is actually a sevens tournament in Napier

We are arranging a sevens tournament for supporters like yourselves who are coming for the cup. We will have 20 teams representing those countries in the Cup.

We are in the process of raising sponsorship and the plan is to host the event over 2 days in Havelock North, at the Havelock North Rugby Club. We will end the event with an International Beer Festival at a Winery near Havelock North.

We aim to have at least 70-80% of a team being made up of Nationals from that country.

Send me a personal message if you can play in any of these games or would like to be a spectator. Why not introduce yourself if you are heading to NZ for the RWC 2011, may we get the chance to hook up and have a beer.

When you message me, I will point you to a forum I started that will help organize the games between the Kiwis and us. Thank you for your interest and looking forward to meeting you in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Latest posts