• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Captain Obvious, to the rescue!

That being said, it's up to teams to not be pusses about it. Just get to the breakdown first and you will still win quick ball. However, it seems that the changing of laws is almost an integral part of rugby. Ever since it's inception, the game has been modified ever so ofter. It seems to be happening more frequently these days though. And one would assume that the powers that be aren't retards about it. Frustrating.

Welp, how about a little more ignorance?? Since I don't have the means of ever watching international rugby, and only play for a medium caliber collegiate side in the US, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'm aware of, and have played with, the ELVs, but which of the rules that have stuck are causing all this kicking/fear of going into contact?? Thanks for the help...

There's a combination really. The no kicking if the ball has been taken back into the 22 rule has resulted directly in more aimless kicking. In the past the ball would have simply been passed back to into the 22 and booted to touch. This reset the game, and gave a platform to attack off. Intead the ball is now just booted as far down the pitch as possible (but outside the opposition 22) and reapeat loads of times. The bigger emphasis on players not going to floor at ruck time, coupled with a modified rule where the tackler doesn't have to retreat to the hindmost foot before competing for the ball has resulted in attacking teams struggling to clear out rucks as effectvely in the past. This has resulted in more turn-overs or penalties for holding on. There's also the fact that the chase of kicks are so well organised nowerdays that it's usually a straight line across the field. All these things have means players are now too scared to counter attack in fear of getting isolated and penalised or worse, getting turned over and resulting in quality attacking ball for the opposition in your own half.

Some teams have successfully shown that there still is space for some counter attacking rugby. With France, Aus, NZ and a lesser extent Ireland leading the way in that regard. Although kicking is still a big part of NZ and Aus' game plans, their kicks weren't of the aimless type this Autumn. Instead we saw Carter putting some great high kicks up in the air, where the full back was dealing with man and ball every time, and with Aus, Giteau and Cooper were finding space behind Hook in the Wales game and also finding touch.

So, it's not just the rules faoult for this attrocious rugby we've been served over the last year or more. It's coaches and players faults for not finding a way to play some open rugby if they want to. As I said on another thread, I think we've seen a change in styles from the likes of NZ and Aus that will persuade other teams to do the same. Positive attacking play (if done well) usually wins over conservative boring and aimless kicking, so maybe we'll see more teams start running with the ball again in 2010.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OSU Blue @ Dec 4 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Welp, how about a little more ignorance?? Since I don't have the means of ever watching international rugby, and only play for a medium caliber collegiate side in the US, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'm aware of, and have played with, the ELVs, but which of the rules that have stuck are causing all this kicking/fear of going into contact?? Thanks for the help...[/b]

Honestly? Forget about it. Ignorance is bliss as far as the bloody ELVs and the topsy turvey world of the IRB is concerned.

The remaining ELVs aren't the issue. What has happened is that the IRB have decided to issue extra guidance for referees on existing rules. So this summer, they released new clarifications at the breakdown specifically that the player can play the ball if he is on his feet at the breakdown regardless of which direction he is facing.

Some people claim that if you are quick enough to the breakdown then this will mean an increase in quick ball being produced. This is utter garbage as the majority of situations so far this season has seen basically pile ups, injuries, dog piles, huge piles of bodies and people flying in from all directions into what is usually a pile of bodies. This creates super extra headaches for referees as they're now having to see what has more priority, this stupid new rule or the fact that everyone is rushing in from all sides, ignoring existing rules about how to enter the breakdown, and grabbing for the ball.

Its a load of crap. We can wait a decade for this to come round but the fact remains that this is hampering attacking rugby. Even though the SH teams have scored more tries than their NH counterparts the number of SH tries scored this Autumn is far down from last autumn. The number of tries and even the number of passes completed by South Africa in the Tri Nations was the lowest for years. That has to tell you something.

I agree Pres, and that was the rule I was thinking of, not what I said. I enjoy that sometimes the ruck can be a good dog-fight for the ball, and suprise turnovers can produce some great try's. But at the moment the rules are just favouring the defending team waay too much. The unesessary over the top refing of people going off their feet has meant players find it difficult to clear out the ruck effectively. Now I don't want to see players falling over the ball and killing it, but when a player ends up on the ground because he's cleared out a ruck, that should be accepted as part of the game!

I'm not keen on that new tackler able to compete no matter where he is rule either, as opensides are now having waay to much influence on the game. I know in theory it should mean more turn-overs and more counter-attacking play from it. But in practice the ball is held onto on the ground and a penalty is conceded, hardly exciting!

The IRB have managed to tip the scales in the wrong direction if you ask me. Exciting rugby more often than not is due to teams getting consecutive phases of good, clean and quick ball from rucks. This stretches the defensive formations of the opposition and creates gaps and space for the outside backs to utilise. We're seeing very little of that at the moment apart from one or two teams who have the fire-power at the breakdown to retain the ball.

It's changed how the game is played, and in the long run may turn out ok. It should start tying more forwards into the rucks, freeing up space in the backline etc. It's just annoying to see from a Welsh perspective as Martyn Williams (and players like him) are struggling to compete in this more physical approach to the game. He's a great creative openside, but he was blown away at the breakdown by both Pokock and Smith last weekend.

Latest posts