• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Car crash victim trapped in a coma for 23 years was conscious!

S

shazbooger

Terrifying story

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
For 23 years Rom Houben was trapped in his own body, unable to communicate with his doctors or family. They presumed he was in a vegetative state following a near-fatal car crash in 1983.

But then doctors used a state-of-the-art scanning system on the brain of the martial arts enthusiast, which showed it was functioning almost normally.

"I had dreamed myself away," said Houben, now 46, whose real "state" was discovered three years ago and has just been made public by the doctor who rescued him.

Steven Laureys, a neurologist at the University of Liège in Belgium, has published a scientific paper saying Houben could be one of many falsely diagnosed coma cases around the world.

Houben is being cared for at a facility near Brussels and now communicates via a computer with a special keyboard activated with his right hand, which is capable of minimal movement. He said his body was paralysed when he came round after his accident. Although he could hear every word his doctors spoke, he could not communicate with them.

"I screamed, but there was nothing to hear," he said, via his keyboard.[/b]

(Source: Guardian News)
More at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/2...d-coma-23-years

That has to be, along with being buried alive, one of the most terrifying experiences in the world. Imagine being able to know precisely what is going on but not able to communicate in any way, shape or form? That's almost got to be somebody's worst nightmare, it really has.

It reminds me of a murder drama I watched once. Someone was deliberately given peanuts, and he had a nut allergy. He was thought dead for two days as he was frozen rigid and his body shut down and left in a morgue. He was about to have a postmortem when they realised he was still alive due to the way he bled when they cut him but just totally unable to communicate. He was aware of what was happening all that time.

Conveniently, he died as soon as they discovered he was alive...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 23 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It reminds me of a murder drama I watched once. Someone was deliberately given peanuts, and he had a nut allergy. He was thought dead for two days as he was frozen rigid and his body shut down and left in a morgue. He was about to have a postmortem when they realised he was still alive due to the way he bled when they cut him but just totally unable to communicate. He was aware of what was happening all that time.

Conveniently, he died as soon as they discovered he was alive...[/b]

Sure there was a CSI episode similar (or is that what you're talking about?).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Nov 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sure there was a CSI episode similar (or is that what you're talking about?).[/b]

No, this was on the BBC. Definitely not CSI. Maybe it was Messiah 3, or something like that?

There was also a House M.D episode with a similar theme, with Doctors declaring him brain dead and pushing his wife to sign consent to give his organs away with your man lying on the bed listening screaming away inside!

"Locked In Syndrome" is what it is called I believe.

Scary ****!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There was also a House M.D episode with a similar theme, with Doctors declaring him brain dead and pushing his wife to sign consent to give his organs away with your man lying on the bed listening screaming away inside!

Scary ****![/b]
Quality episode. Best show on T.V. at the moment too actually.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 23 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scary ****![/b]
Quality episode. Best show on T.V. at the moment too actually.
[/b][/quote]

Its gone a little downhill after season 5, although the mental hospital stuff was well done.

Latest posts