• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Car Maintenance

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Anyone else do their own car maintenance, or even into modifying cars? I've done most of my own maintenance on all my cars over the years. Stems from growing up on a farm where I'd help my dad fix all kinds of cars/tractors etc. I've always been a bit reactionary in the past, fixing things when they broke, but since purchasing my current car (an '02 BMW 330i MSport Touring), I've been trying to do preventative maintenance. The car is quickly approaching 20 years old, so there's a decent amount to do to make sure it's still reliable.

With that in mind I've got a busy weekend ahead of me doing the following:
- New O2 sensors
- Replace valve cover gasket
- Replace VANOS seals
- Replace intake gasket
- New spark plugs
- New coil packs
- Replace CCV & associated pipes
- New oil filter
- New fuel filter
- Oil change
- Clutch delay valve delete

In terms of other maintenance I've done over the past couple of years:
- New alternator
- New radiator
- Upgraded water pump (metal impellor)
- Coilovers all around
- New suspension top mounts
- New control arms
- New track rod ends
- Upgraded to mixture of polybushes + Myle HD bushings throughout
- Drilled + grooved discs
- EBC Redstuff pads
- New heater resistor
- New rear brake lines in kunifer
- Rebuilt brake callipers with new seals + sliders etc.

Future work:
- Replace offside front wing (unfortunately it's started to rust)
- Repair offside rear arch (more rust)
- Induction kit (K&N)
- New wheels
- Android touchscreen head unit
- Replace the old 5sp manual gearbox for the newer 6sp
- LSD

Once all of that is done I've got some plans to install a turbo or supercharger because I'm after some more power but absolutely love the car and wouldn't want to replace it with anything newer. There's a bit of work involved there though including installing ARP headbolts (if I don't want to lift the head and destroy my engine), fabricating a custom exhaust + installing a new ECU (maybe just a piggyback) and getting it tuned. My brother in-law builds rally cars (and all sorts of other machines) so I'll have some help there. My ultimate aim would be 400bhp, but I think that'll be a few years in the making.

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Not sure if anyone's really interested but this is how my engine looked todaybhalf way through.

20210417_160534.jpg

Waiting for a gasket to arrive that I forgot to order until I can re-assemble. Also waiting for a 22mm impact socket to arrive after failing to remove one of the O2 sensors. Bugger is rusted in there solid and wouldn't budge with a slotted socket, so smashed the top of the sensor off so I can use a standard socket which hopefully won't slip!

Tallshort

International
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

Yugoslavia

Club or Nation

Nottingham

Well I'm no way at your level but I have always been able to do a rough service on any car I have owned up unto the one I have now. Used to quite enjoy ordering the parts etc. Could always manage a oil filter, oil, filter change. Did a fuel filter change on a corsa once and the breaks and pads which was a lot simpler than I first thought. Was a tank driver for a good part of my army life so I was trained to do service maintenance to a degree and most small petrol cars were simple enough to do. Came a cropper once trying to do a Laguna once but its because I had the wrong parts. Have a c class now and dont touch it as any mistake could prove costly but my eldest is a couple of years away from his driving licence so going to get him a cheap little petrol runaround that I can fix for him if needed.

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Yeah newer cars are certainly more difficult to work on from a diy pov. Part of the reason I'm sticking with the car I have.

Newer BMW's need lots of trivial items such as new battery etc. programmed into the ECU, which is ridiculous imo.

I've got one of the cheap bluetooth OBDII dongles that you can connect to your phone and scan errors using an app like Torque. Super useful for diagnosing errors and clearing faults. There's guides for everything online then, and forums where people have discussed things going wrong, so in some ways it's easier than ever to do lots of this stuff.

Anyway, managed to get lots more done today. Changed the CCV and pipes, what a faff that was! All tangled around and behind all the intake manifold, so lots of taking apart to get at it. Also drained oil, changed oil filter and fuel filter, so ready to put back together when the gasket arrives.

rugbeian

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

Glasgow

I do regular maintenance on my truck, but that's the extent of it. Kudos to those of you who do more. Automotive care is much more complicated now than when I grew up. o_O

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

Hong Kong

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

And with so called driverless cars being the future:

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Yeah, only going to get more difficult.

I was getting a couple of new tyres from KwikFit one day a couple of years back, woman came in looking for her brakes doing, they had to turn her away because she was driving a Prius (or similar hybrid). Apparently they're not insured to work on any Hybrid cars because some of the systems are so expensive to replace if something went wrong!

I'll be like Will Smith in I, Robot, still driving a vehicle with Petrol: "Please tell me this doesn't run on gas! Gas explodes, you know?"

ncurd

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

I use to do all my own maintenance but never had a car that really required it before, my 106 and wife's Focus barely needed anything done over the year. I sincerely regret getting rid of the 106 (it was 1.4 Diesel) because it was so damn reliable, I got a facelift first generation Laguna that was a family car that my Dad and sister had before me and it died within two weeks of having it (garage couldn't even work out why it wouldn't start).

Then it was Mini and I did pretty much all non MOT work on that as well but it burnt through oil like anything so it went last October.

Got '16 plate BMW 430i now and honestly I know its money hole but regular servicing will be done by a dealer because regular service stamps will help keep what value it has if I ever sell. Although I suspect the first gen ones might retain a little more value than they would otherwise because the 2nd gen ones have a pug ugly grille.

Latest posts