TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47905724_rush_trophy_ap.jpg

Cardiff Blues coach Dai Young confirmed the region is in talks with Xavier Rush over keeping the inspirational back-row at the Cardiff City Stadium.

The New Zealander announced in February that he was ending his five-year stay in south Wales to join Magners League rivals Ulster next season.

"He's in discussions with Ulster and us," Young told BBC Sport Wales

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/cardiff_blues/8700139.stm

I did say a while back that this had been happening.

This is great news i think he will stay now hopefully the Blues realise their mistake in even thinking about releasing their best player.

This would be great news. If anythign he's getting even better with age, so another couple of seasons with him at 8 may result in more trophies for the Blues.

Ulster don't really need him anyway. They already have good young, home-grown backrows.

Half Backs, Half Backs, Half Backs should be Ulster's priority. Rush is an awesome player but they have have good depth in the backrow with Ferris, Henry, Anderson, Diack, Pollock and Faloon.

The Pienaar to Ulster rumours have picked up again this week which would be an excellent signing. Now they need another Halfback, preferably a 10 and maybe a fullback. Don't need Rush as much as they need players in these positions.

If Rush has no desire to join Ulster, there's no point in holding him to a contract. That said, in the last few seasons we've seen Tony Buckley, Jonno Gibbes, Paul Warwick, Sione Tonga'huia and now possibly Rush back out of deals. This is becoming a problem. Edward Griffiths sounded like a bitter and twisted fool when he mentioned it a couple of months back but beneath all the bluster, he has a point. Something needs to be done to stop this.

Pre-Contracts are not law binding you will find. So there is no real problem.

:rolleyes: Except he signed a £250,000 a year deal with Ulster. So there is a slight problem :rolleyes:

I was under the impression he hadn't signed a full contract yet, just a pre-contract, as Cymro suggested....

:rolleyes: Except he signed a £250,000 a year deal with Ulster. So there is a slight problem :rolleyes:

Can't sign anything until the current deal runs out, hence why others have been able to get out of contracts before. Usually people who sign pre-contracts are in a gentleman's agreement with the club but cannot be expected to honour it.

ulster have no need for a niq backrow sure he could be a mentor but we have strength in depth there its half backs we need
sure he is a great player but i dont think ulster need him
if its only an agreement to move then no worrys if he has singed a contract mabey cardiff should pay a tranfare fee

in that case is it not dodgey territory the blues are going in if it is legaly binding ulster could through a hissy fit

If Rush has no desire to join Ulster, there's no point in holding him to a contract. That said, in the last few seasons we've seen Tony Buckley, Jonno Gibbes, Paul Warwick, Sione Tonga'huia and now possibly Rush back out of deals. This is becoming a problem. Edward Griffiths sounded like a bitter and twisted fool when he mentioned it a couple of months back but beneath all the bluster, he has a point. Something needs to be done to stop this.

Yep... It's called offering them a secure contract instead of only drawing up a heads of agreement; Which means they'd have to pay their salary months in advance of the player actually joining.

Just like anything else which involves a contract, buying a house for example, until the agreed time when the deal ticks over either party is free to pull out. Dem-be-der rules.

Apparently, the Blues have said they'll give him even more money than Ulster would if he can buy himself out of his contract.

Yeah I think that buying himself out of the contract is his only option atm
But, if he really wants to stay, then Im sure he will be fine with that, espcially if it's like Dunc said, and the Blues are offering him more money. Maybe this is part of the Pienaar runmours coming back? I remember someone on here saying that Pienaar might be a bit out of Ulsters price range, so they're gonna have extra dosh if Rush buys himself out of his contract. Hope Rush stays, he's a fantastic player, and tbh there's no-one that we can replace him with now that Delve's off to Melbourne.

Cardiff are coming across pretty bad in all of this IMO. My understanding is Rush has a legally binding £250,000 contract with Ulster, but doesn't want to play for them. Cardiff are skint but want to keep him. It is identical to the Warwick/Tonga'huia situation. Ulster will accept less than what they should get in compensation because at the end of the day, they don't want to pay a player all that money if he isn't in it 100%

Latest posts