• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues boss Dai Young hopes to keep Xavier Rush

Can't see how the Blues are coming off bad. They'd be stupid not to try and keep hold of their talismatic player. Rush on the other hand obviously rushed into things with Ulster, loured by the money. He's coming off quite badly, in the same way Warwick did. The clubs are just trying to run a business, players of Rush and Warwick's caliber are worth fighting for.

The game is getting more and more like football every season.The richest clubs will hoover up all the best players and pay them silly money leaving the less well off clubs the crumbs.

The boys on the Ulster forum are kicking up a massive fuss about this. Quite a bit of Welsh hate going on actually, sour grapes everywhere.

I don't think Cardiff are coming across badly at all. The way I look at it, If Dan Parks suddenly now said he wanted to stay with Glasgow, yes we would be disappointed but we wouldn't want a player who's heart is not in it. If Rush has decided he wants to stay it does perhaps make him look slightly erratic. However, Ulster could spend the money elsewhere and by the sounds of it have a good back-row coming through anyway.

I don't think he realised how much the support he's got at Cardiff and perhaps was taking for granted how good the team is. We've essentially built a team around Xavier for 5 years now and for the blues not to keep him would have been awful.

As long as the correct compensations are paid and everything is done legally I don't suddenly see why this is such an evil occurrence. There are plenty of good backrow around for Ulster to get their hands on considering the massive amount of money they seem to have floating around. Ulster will gain some money now anyway.

Rather strange how Ulster fans are making such a fuss,but on the other hand they generally feel they have good enough backrow cover.

And I think being 'cover' is not what Rush wants.

Ulster's current backrow is pretty good. Ferris is a brilliant blindside, Henry has been called up to the Ireland squad from 8 and Pollock and Faloon are decent opensides. The thing is that Ferris is likely to miss a lot of games through international commitments (Henry can switch to 6 or 7) and the team as a whole lack leadership. Rush is a proven winner and an excellent leader. While he's not as important a signing as either Johann Muller or Ruan Pienaar, he'd still be a massive addition to the team as a starting number 8.

Latest posts