TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47959978_michael_paterson_get226.jpg

Cardiff Blues have signed New Zealander Michael Paterson from Super 14 side the Hurricanes on a three-year deal.

Lock/blindside flanker Paterson is reported to have been a New Zealand squad contender this year.

But his decision join fellow Kiwis Casey Laulala, Ben Blair and Paul ***o to the Blues ends his All Blacks hopes.

Paterson said: "I am thoroughly looking forward to the opportunity of being over there with the New Zealand lads that are playing in Cardiff."

The move comes amid speculation that number eight Xavier Rush wants to stay at the Blues rather than join Ulster, whom he earlier agreed to join.

The three-year length of Paterson's deal allows the Blues to regard him as a Welsh-qualified player in waiting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/cardiff_blues/8714327.stm

Hmm. Potentially a good signing I suppose, it all depends what the Blues see him as being. Deiniol Jones and especially Bradley Davies have been in great form, so I kinda hope he doesn't take one of their spots in a matchday 22. Then there's Paul ***o who's not had as good a season as last year, but is again a big player for the Blues. So will be be first choice, or backup to those three? How long does ***o have left at the Blues, because I feel his form is starting to slip?

If he's gonna be considered more of a blinside, maybe he's being looked at as a replacement to Molitika, who's getting on a bit. He's still playing some great rugby though, so I can easily see him being first choice again next season. Behind him there's Andy Powell, Andries Pretorius (who's suggested he wants to play for Wales), and even Sam Warberton (when Martyn Williams is playing openside). So again, if he's gonna be considered first/second choice, he's gonna be keeping Welsh players out the team.

On the other hand, he should significantly increase the strength in depth of the Blues pack. If they are serious about competing for the HC, then these are the calibre of overseas players needed. He's not just a journeyman coming over for a pay-packet, he's a young, talented player looking to improve his game in a different environment. He was pushing for an All Black spot, so must be of a high standard.

If he turns out as successful as Laulala then he'll be a great signing that will really improve the team, which in turn will help improve the players around him. We'll have to wait and see.

What do NZ supporters think of this. Must be a bit gutting to see a potentially good player heading overseas this early. Or do you hope he'll return a better player in 3 years time with the experience of playing in a different country and tournaments?

Nah he will be signed as a person who will be eligible to play for Wales in 3 years time ... good deal if he is a good player

Heard some good things about this fella, just missed out on a spot in NZ squad apparently. Rush is pretty much definitely staying at blues now, having to pay £72,000 to release him from the contract. Cardiff Blues were not allowed to offer Rush any contract until this time as that is a breach of contract and would have been more of penalty.

Mamma Molitika is due to retire next year so is long term replacement.

Also, Andy Powell is about to sign for the crusaders.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/crusaders-super-league/2010/05/29/andy-powell-close-to-switching-to-rugby-league-and-crusaders-55578-26546033/

Last edited:
Considering Scott Morgan is also on his way to the Dragons, Paterson seems to be a good buy. He also won't take up one of their NWQ slots as he hasn't represented New Zealand at senior level, so is technically a possible future Welsh player (although converting him shouldn't be an aim).

Bluemoon. Is that £72,000 gonna be payed by Rush or the Blues? I read a bit ago, that the Blues were only interested if Rush himself fronted the money to be released for any contracts he'd agreed with Ulster. It's a large amount of money either way, I'm sure Ulster won't mind loosing out too much with that much compensation coming their way!

It's a sad state that NH rugby has got itself into if any uncapped foreigner signed on a 3 year contract is talked about as a future international on residency grounds before they've even arrived and proven their worth.

It's a sad state that NH rugby has got itself into if any uncapped foreigner signed on a 3 year contract is talked about as a future international on residency grounds before they've even arrived and proven their worth.
I take it slightly differently. Since he hasn't previously been capped, he could technically be described as a project player - basically a Welsh region can pick him up and he won't count against the NWQ quota since at some point in the future he may qualify for Wales.

As far as I am aware Dullonien, he has to pay it himself. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Blues provide him with a handout sometime soon to help make up for his losses. Cardiff weren't technically allowed to negotiate a contract, but verbal agreements have probably been made.

Im shocked at Peter Thomas, all of a sudden we seem to be bringing in decent new players.

As for the overseas argument, if there was a Heineken cup standard blindiside about, who the Ospreys didn't already offer a contract in Wales (not a dig, its just they need welsh back row aswell) the Blues would offer them a contract. The Blues are brining Dan Fish through the academy next year and 2 other players so I hear. They've also blooded Scott Andrews who took over against Toulon and has been fantastic cover this year for his age at prop. Josh Nividi and Sam Warburton seem to be great up and coming open sides.

If you want to win the HC you need top class players and brining through a youngster to replace HC standard players is not the answer. The blues are getting it right at the moment, blooding players slowly.

I hope that's not what's happening here. He's signed for the Cardiff Blues to belster their squad, probably returning to NZ after the three years to pursue an international career. I'm sure that if he turns out to be a great player I'm soon I'll change my mind :p.

I dunno if that's what their getting at - I think teh article was only pointing it out that he doenst count as a foreign player because the Blues foreign player quota is full atm, especially with Rush staying. Is he actually any good? Hope he is, we struggled without Molitika in the first half of this season (though Warburton did a decent job there) and it'd be nice to have another good no.6 in the squad. Didn't know Scott Morgan was off to the Dragons, this signing makes even more sense now tbf.

Well, I don't think Scott Morgan has been confirmed yet, but it was a strong rumor. Don't think he's athe calibre of player the Blues require, whearas he'd be a decent backup at the Dragon's. So would probably be a good move for everyone concerned really.

I see him more as a bench player as he can cover both lock and blindeside. He was good for the Hurricanes, although I don't think he'll set the world on fire. Adds a very good lineout option at 6.

Molitika is headed towards his final days (Possibly last season), -He's 37 now! Powell is apparently going to move to Rugby League after this season, so it makes more sense for 2011-2012, when also Martyn Williams and Sam Warburton (And possibly Josh Navidi) will be off with Wales at the World Cup for a prolonged period of time.

Doubt Josh Navidi will be involved with Wales anytime soon. He's a good prospect, but waaaay to small at the moment to be an openside flanker at international level. When he bulks up a little, and improves his strength, he could be a decent player. He does have dread locks though, so could be confused with a young George Smith.....

To be fair, Navidi is actually in the same place Warburton was 2 years ago. Captain of the Under 20's, had a few games for the Blues.

Everyone down here has very high hopes for him down here, he'll get a few starts at 7 next season when the internationals are on. He's already had a few good performances from the bench this season.

As for Scott Morgan, hes drastically declined in power and skill over the last two seasons and if I were the dragons, Im not so sure if they should invest.

Warberton was a massive standout at Under 20's though. He dragged the forwards through many of their games, allowing the rediculously talented backline at the time to do their thing. I just don't quite feel Navidi's quite there. I thought he struggled against the bigger teams at the U20's 6nations, especially England and Ireland. He's another Martyn Williams type of player, who's a great link man, but will struggle physically against the big teams. That's not atall a bad thing, as it will hopefully give the Blues and Wales that option for a different type of player for years to come.

Latest posts