• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues to become Cardiff Rugby from 2021-22 season

And the award for most pointless rebrand goes tooooo
Might seem like that from someone across the bridge, but it's significant to the club and a lot of people who support it.

Ive always hated the 'blues' label and all the political off the field arguing that came with it. Cardiff, now a professional team with a player development pathway.

And the award for most pointless rebrand goes tooooo

Wrong, sorry. Especially if you are a Cardiff fan. The nickname is all tied up with the "regional identity" ******** we have had to suffer through for the past 15+ years where we were expected to deny the heritage of probably the greatest rugby club in the world.

It may seems small to you, but it's very important to the people who actually care about the rugby club that is Cardiff.

The badge is pants, yes. There will be a new one in the next season or two, I am sure.

Can't wait to see the massive increase in crowds then.

Also greatest club heritage in world rugby is a bit of a reach.

Edit: I get the political side of things now, I just don't really understand why they didn't plan on a complete logo redesign and new kit with the announcement should've been fairy simple given they are going back to the roots.

Last edited:
I think they know exactly what they are doing there. Edinburgh had a good sponsor for that space, not sure if they still do.. feel like companies could take advantage of the possible puns more!
edinburgh-rugby-v-ulster-guinness-pro-14-2018-19-shutterstock-editorial-10202848at.jpg

Can't wait to see the massive increase in crowds then.

Also greatest club heritage in world rugby is a bit of a reach.

Edit: I get the political side of things now, I just don't really understand why they didn't plan on a complete logo redesign and new kit with the announcement should've been fairy simple given they are going back to the roots.

I don't think you really don't understand what is happening here Tigs. They aren't saying there's loads of fans waiting to rush in with the name change. They are saying they we're trying to be something they aren't for people who really won't come and support anyway and their commercial partners prefer Cardiff.

The logo comes next. They are having a bit of on off field rebuild and it's good to see.

They have a great history in terms of players, touring sides etc but I agree they went a bit far in the video haha. I think it was about making a bit of a statement for clarity at this point!

Latest posts