Cardiff Blues v Harlequins

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Cardiff.png
V
Harlequins.png
</div>

Quins kick started their season with their last ditch win over Bath so it'll be interesting to see whether they kick on now and win at Cardiff or will the Blues find the form that saw them come so close to getting to the final last season.

The Blues have been boosted by the return of both Jamie Roberts and Xavier Rush to their side. Ben Blair is also back having missed the defeat against Glasgow with Leigh Halfpenny relegated to the bench. Norton Knight is back at fly half while Filise is in at tighthead for Powell while Deinol Jones partners skipper ***o in the second row.

Cardiff Blues: Ben Blair; Gareth Thomas, Tom Shanklin, Jamie Roberts, Tom James; Sam Norton-Knight, Richie Rees; John Yapp, Gareth Williams, Taufa'au Filise, Bradley Davies, Paul ***o (capt), Andy Powell, Sam Warburton, Xavier Rush.

Replacements: T Rhys Thomas, Darren Morris, Gary Powell, Deiniol Jones, Robin Sowden Taylor, Gareth Cooper, Ceri Sweeney, Leigh Halfpenny.

Harlequins: TBC

Strong Blues side, on paper. Rush is a huge boost for the Blues, as is Tom James, Roberts and Blair in the backline. I'm glad they've gone with Warberton at 7, as he adds the physicallity needed to compete with top sides. This is a crunch match for the Blues, one they've gotta win at home. A good start is needed to build up some confidence. This game could go wither way, should be interesting.

To be fair, Norton Knight is good in open play when the pack is going forward. Its just his tactical kicking that is awful. All eyes on Warburton tomorrow, he is going to have to have a big game against a pretty tidy backrow to provide our backs any decent possession.

Xavier back has also given me a glimmer of hope but he is nowhere near fit. He was suppose to be out for a month and its barely been half of that. He must have had some sort of injection. Hes been a one man army so far this season though.

Its the team I would have picked but to many things have got to come together for the blues to win this one tomorrow afternoon, I think harlequins will edge it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Oct 9 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 9 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sam Norton-Knight[/b]
Get your money on Quins!
[/b][/quote]

would have thought so but with Monye, Care and Easter all being rested that certainly gives the Blues a far better chance.

Harlequins: Brown, Strettle, Tiesi, Masson, Camacho, Evans, So'oialo, Jones, Fuga, Lambert, Stevenson, Evans, Robshaw, Skinner ©, Guest

Replacements: Brooker, Croall, Andress, O'Connor, McMillan, Williams, Clegg, Lowe

Why have they dropped Monye? I suddenly think the Blues can win it...

Also: Andy Powell at 6? Pretty sure that's a first. Hopefully he'll make it his home before the AIs, (As with Hook and Centre) so we can get him in alongside Ryan Jones, who's a far better No. 8.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 9 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why have they dropped Monye? I suddenly think the Blues can win it...

Also: Andy Powell at 6? Pretty sure that's a first. Hopefully he'll make it his home before the AIs, (As with Hook and Centre) so we can get him in alongside Ryan Jones, who's a far better No. 8.[/b]

It's due to the agreement about resting players in the EPS. Pretty poor timing though!!

Still Strettle will cause plenty of issues and I think we could well have the upperhand in the backrow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Oct 9 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Xavier back has also given me a glimmer of hope but he is nowhere near fit. He was suppose to be out for a month and its barely been half of that. He must have had some sort of injection. Hes been a one man army so far this season though.[/b]
He had a dislocated finger, therefore he's either ok to play or not. The fact he's playing, means he's 100% fit. His finger will just be strapped to the ones either side, he'll be fine. Not atall convinced with Powell at 6 though, but needs must I suppose with Molatika and Martyn Williams out.

I'm also not sure about Rees at scrum half, never seen him as much of a player. I know Cooper hasn't been great so far this season, but some of that must be put down to an underperforming pack. Cooper is streets ahead of Rees if both on top form, and I'd still pick Cooper on his current form.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 9 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Oct 9 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Xavier back has also given me a glimmer of hope but he is nowhere near fit. He was suppose to be out for a month and its barely been half of that. He must have had some sort of injection. Hes been a one man army so far this season though.[/b]
He had a dislocated finger, therefore he's either ok to play or not. The fact he's playing, means he's 100% fit. His finger will just be strapped to the ones either side, he'll be fine. Not atall convinced with Powell at 6 though, but needs must I suppose with Molatika and Martyn Williams out.

I'm also not sure about Rees at scrum half, never seen him as much of a player. I know Cooper hasn't been great so far this season, but some of that must be put down to an underperforming pack. Cooper is streets ahead of Rees if both on top form, and I'd still pick Cooper on his current form.
[/b][/quote]

Fair comment about the finger.

Although I have to disagree with Cooper. After seeing both of them have a few starts Cooper is not performing well at the moment. I think the main issue I find with him is that hes is very slow at the breakdown where as, at the moment, richie rees is distributing faster. I think thats why they've picked him and I'm not to worried. Richie Rees is actually quite underrated in my book! He had alot of game time last year when spice was on a massive downward spiral.

Very happy with the players quins have rested but I still think they may be a bit to much.

They'll probally go with Rees & Norton-Knight this week and Cooper and Sweeny next week.

Tom James back, though! Good stuff!

Lads! What is up with Halfpenny that he on bench?

Also, I think Powell could do damage at 6.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 9 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, I think Powell could do damage at 6.[/b]
Ditto, powell is a very physical player, so could do well as a flanker,
And with ryan jones on the form he's on at the moment, then he's a shoe in at 8 for wales, so powell should be looking for another way of getting into the squad

Same old problem with Powell though, he doesn't get through enough work when he doesn't have the ball. And doesn't that make him a worse 6 than 8. Blindisde flankers generally get through alot of dirty work in rucks and around the field, if Powell doesn't do that, the Blues could struggle. There's gonna be a big job for Warberton, as he might find himself on his own taking on the opposition backrow. Having rush back helps though, as he's a hard worker.

Fair enough on the Cooper v Rees front. Just never been a fan of Rees, he seems to like the physical side of the game, but he's not big enough to challenge forwards the way he does sometimes. He's no Mike Phillips! But if he's getting the ball out, having a couple of snipes, and possibly taking a bit of pressure of SNK with some good box kicking, I'll be happy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 9 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Same old problem with Powell though, he doesn't get through enough work when he doesn't have the ball. And doesn't that make him a worse 6 than 8. Blindisde flankers generally get through alot of dirty work in rucks and around the field, if Powell doesn't do that, the Blues could struggle.[/b]
Good point, i'm just thinking of him throwing himself facefirst at defenders, but it's always as the ball carrier

Suppose we shall see tomorrow

There's no denying his ball carying ability. He showed it last week, with a great running game. With the injuries the Blues have, Dai Young was forced into this move anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Oct 9 2009, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 9 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same old problem with Powell though, he doesn't get through enough work when he doesn't have the ball. And doesn't that make him a worse 6 than 8. Blindisde flankers generally get through alot of dirty work in rucks and around the field, if Powell doesn't do that, the Blues could struggle.[/b]
Good point, i'm just thinking of him throwing himself facefirst at defenders, but it's always as the ball carrier

Suppose we shall see tomorrow
[/b][/quote]
Agree he need to be more of work-horse but just think he's suited better maybe at 6 like it is hard to over look his ball carrying ability.
But think Rush and more senior players need to keep on to him to keep working. I sure it is possible to make him a better 6 than 8

Powell has played 6 plenty of times before as far as I know, and not had any problems.

Am playing rugby myself when this is on, so can't watch it, but think it should be a cracker! Am a lot more optimistic with Rush and Tom James back, nd with Monye, Care and Easter rested (which is apparently down to the Elite Player Squad greement with the RFU)

6-3 to the Blues, Thomas off injured for the Blues and ***o's gone as well after colliding with Tiesi.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 10 2009, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
6-3 to the Blues, Thomas off injured for the Blues and ***o's gone as well after colliding with Tiesi.[/b]

That man Tiesi, world class. Highly underrated. Best 13 in England. Gareth Thomas injured as Tiesi went in for the tackle and ***o injured as went low with ball in hand.

Underline this guy to form a great 10-12-13 combination with Hernandez and Contepomi. They are in England and Scotland pool, need I remind you all.

About the game, a poor turn out I must say.. I expected a much better crowd.

Hopefully some tries will come in the second half..

Right Evans had kicked off, back to the game.

Latest posts