• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Leinster, Saturday February 19

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
Cardiff Blues: 15 Dan Fish, 14 Richard Mustoe, 13 Gavin Evans, 12 Dafydd Hewitt, 11 Tom James, 10 Ceri Sweeney, 9 Tom Slater, 8 Xavier Rush, 7 Martyn Williams, 6 Andries Pretorius, 5 Paul ***o (c), 4 Deiniol Jones, 3 Fau Filise, 2 Gareth Williams, 1 John Yapp.
Replacements: 16 Rhys Williams, 17 Sam Hobbs, 18 Scott Andrews, 19 Ben White, 20 Ma'ama Molitika, 21 Rhys Downes, 22 Dan Parks, 23 James Loxton.

Leinster: 15 Isa Nacewa, 14 Andrew Conway, 13 Eoin O'Malley, 12 Eamonn Sheridan, 11 Niall Morris, 10 Ian McKinley, 9 Isaac Boss, 8 Rhys Ruddock, 7 Dominic Ryan, 6 Kevin McLaughlin, 5 Devin Toner, 4 Leo Cullen (capt), 3 Clint Newland, 2 Richardt Strauss, 1 Heinke van der Merwe.
Replacements: 16 Jason Harris-Wright, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Stan Wright, 19 Nathan Hines, 20 Stephen Keogh, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ian Madigan, 23 Michael Keating.

Seven on the Leinster team are 22 or under (along with four of the subs). This could get ugly. The backline in particular is hugely inexperienced. Time for Nacewa, Boss and Cullen to stand up.

Thats a very solid pack Leinster showing that we really have good depth ATM.

EDIT: just seen Newland is 3 eww

I think Leinster will put up a battle but it's a big ask for the backs but they have the talent. I'm very surprised that Leinster aren't resting Hines as they need to give him a break and have 1 eye on Leicester game

Going to be a close game this, reckon Blues will edge it because they are at home but there are some good players in that squad for Leinster! Could be match of the weekend for the ML.

Gavin Evans is very weak in defence and doesn't offer much in breaking the line. I think the Leinster youngsters will target his outside bringing in Tom James and creating space on the wing.

Blues pack is quite experienced in general, perhaps a small win by 1/2 points. Form isn't that great for Cardiff at the moment, it'll be close.

I don't know if Leinster can exploit Evans since the Irish province are seriously underpowered in the centre. Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'arcy, Fergus McFadden, Luke Fitzgerald, Shaun Berne, Brendan Macken and Shane Horgan all would have featured in midfield ahead of Eamonn Sheridan but are unavailable for one reason or another.

Speaking of Sheridan, I wasn't too impressed whenever I saw him play previously. He's a big lump who'll crash the ball up but offers little else. Most of the times I saw him in the past were before Joe Schmidt took over so hopefully the new coach worked his magic on Sheridan in the same way we've seen Niall Morris, Fergus McFadden and Dave Kearney improve out of sight.

I'm a lot more impressed with Ian McKinley. He's not as flash a player as Ian Madigan but makes the right decision all the time. When he plays, those around him pick up their game. With Shaun Berne probably not getting his contract renewed and Jonny Sexton off to the World Cup, McKinley has a chance to stake his claim for an extended run with Leinster in the 10 shirt.

11-3 final score in Cardiff's favour. Both teams were poor but the Blues were marginally less ****.

Stretching for positives for Leinster:
Stan Wright returned from injury and was infinitely better than Clint Newland.
Ian McKinley stood up well in defence and had a couple of half breaks.
Rhys Ruddock put in a good shift.
A young backline got exposed to Magners League rugby.
Heinke van der Merwe was okay.
Isa Nacewa showed touches of class.
Defence in general.

Negatives:
Stupid penalties.
Poor ball handling.
Lineout didn't function.
Scrum was under pressure until Wright came on.
Not even a bonus point.
Madigan stupidly kicking the ball twice when 80 minutes were already up.
No points in the second half.

Game of error's felt the ref could have given the Blues a fair more few penalties that he did.

I don't think Sheridan will make it for Leinster though. Nice to see Wright and Hines come straight in and do damage in 1st scrum. But really Ruddock is starting to stand up now too and the competition in Leinsters backrow is really heating up

Andreas Pretorius had a fantastic game again. He really is shaping up to be an epic ball carrying 6/8 for the blues.

Dan Fish has also slotted in rather well at 15. Some nice kicking and ran a few good lines. A good prospect for the future.

I think both teams wanted to play fast rugby today but a lack of skills may have impaired that ambition slightly.

Latest posts