• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Leinster

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/201...4265522915.html

Leo Cullen will skip Magners League duty this weekend but Shane Jennings and Eoin Reddan are included for Leinster’s first match at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Jennings and Reddan were both involved in Ireland’s win over England last Saturday, with Jennings playing his part from the bench in the thrilling endgame, and return to the Michael Cheika’s squad for Sunday’s match in the Welsh capital.

Elsewhere, Cheika appears ready to afford fringe players in his squad a run against Cardiff with the likes of Andrew Conway, Richardt Strauss and Rhys Ruddock involved at this stage.

“It’s good that we’re in a position to welcome back some of our international players this week who are really keen to play,†team manager Chris Whitaker said this afternoon.

“We’re pleased, not just with the attitude of those players in training this week, but also with the likes of the Ireland Under-20 players who enjoyed such an impressive win against England, so some of them could also be involved on Sunday.

“From a Leinster perspective it’s encouraging that we have also been able to blood a few more players from the Academy this year and with the likes of Andy (Conway) making his debut in the Scarlets game, it gives encouragement to the rest of theplayers.

“From a long-term perspective it can only be good to give these young guys a bit of exposure.â€

Leinster squad

Backs: Shaun Berne, Andrew Conway, Girvan Dempsey, David Kearney, Simon Keogh, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden, Isa Nacewa, Paul O’Donohoe, Eoin O’Malley, Eoin Reddan

Forwards: Trevor Hogan, Bernard Jackman, Shane Jennings, Stephen Keogh, Ronan McCormack, Kevin McLaughlin, Malcolm O’Kelly, Mike Ross, Rhys Ruddock, Paul Ryan, Richardt Strauss, Devin Toner, CJ van der Linde, Stan Wright[/b]
With the over-rated Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'arcy, Jamie Heaslip, Jonny Sexton and Cian Healy missing due to international commitments, Leinster seem to have designated this fixture as an acceptable loss by also omitting Leo Cullen, Shane Horgan, John Fogarty and Nathan Hines. Hopefully Conway, Ruddock and Madigan are given a run. I'd like to see the following team:

15. Dempsey
14. D Kearney
13. McFadden
12. Berne
11. Nacewa
10. Madigan
9. Reddan
1. Wright
2. Jackman
3. Van Der Linde
4. Toner
5. O'Kelly
6. McLaughlin
7. Jennings ©
8. Keogh
Subs: Strauss, Ross, Hogan, Ruddock, O'Donohoe, O'Malley, Conway

Blues have Sam Warburton, Tom James and Shanks back. I've no idea who'll be playing loosehead, with Gethin, Yapp and this young Sam Hobbs fella all injured, plus Darren Morris has gone off to Northampton. The only two props they have elft that I can think of are Filise and Gary Powell, who are both Tightheads.

We had 1. Taufa'ao Filise, 2. T Rhys Thomas and 3. Gary Powell as our front row last time out against Glasgow. Leinster should look to take advantage of this.

Andy Powell is back in training today, it will be interesting to see what they do with him. Molitika has been playing like a man possessed since his return from injury and I certainly wouldn't drop him. It will probably look something like...

1 Taufa'ao Filise
2 T Rhys Thomas
3 Gary Powell (or they may play one of the academy)
4 Scott Morgan
5 Paul ***o ©
6 Maama Molitika
7 Sam Warburton
8 Xavier Rush

9 Darren Allison (a decent youngster, im not worried)
10 Ceri Sweeney

11 Chris Czekaj
12 Tom Shanklin
13 Casey Laulala
14 Tom James
15 Ben Blair

They did have the option of playing Shanklin wing and Dafydd Hewitt in the centre. But as they didn't go for that against Glasgow, I don't see why they would here.

Leinster fans shouldn't put this one out to dry just yet. Cardiff are missing a massive amount of players aswell and our home magners form has been very inconsistent. I wouldnt be surprised to see an away win and really put the pressure on ourselves for HC qualification.

Bear in mind Gatland dropped Cooper from the Wales team, so he'll be avalible.

Hadn't realised Molatika was back from injury. His absense has been a majour loss for the Blues, because he's an absolute workhorse. Kinda explains the Blues return to form to some extents (aswell as SNK being dropped and Laulala adding creativity in midfield).

I honestly can't see the Blues loosing against a Leinster side shorn of soo many players. That Blues backrow looks tasty. Still not convinced by Czekaj, what about Mustow?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Mar 3 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Leinster fans shouldn't put this one out to dry just yet.[/b]
I'm not completely writing them off but shorn of almost an entire starting XV in Rob Kearney, Shane Horgan, Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, Jonny Sexton, Cian Healy, John Fogarty, Leo Cullen, Nathan Hines, Jamie Heaslip and Sean O'Brien, it wouldn't surprise me if Michael Cheika has chalked this one down as a game they're unlikely to get anything out of.

Mustoe must be injured, because to be honest, he's been the blues form winger (not that any of them have scored many trys). That may sound a little crazy, but alot of Blues supporters have been saying it! Molitika came back against Newcastle and had a very powerful performance. To be hoenst he's put Powells blues effort to shame if he is dropped it will be a joke.

Forgot Cooper had been dropped, he will probably start. Other than that the blues are missing 10 internationals aswell, it should be close.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Leinster team to face the Cardiff Blues in Sunday's Magners League clash in Cardiff City Stadium (KO: 4pm) has been named... Shane Jennings and Eoin Reddan return from Ireland duty and are included in the starting line-up for the trip to Cardiff. Jennings forms a back-row unit which includes Kevin McLaughlin and Stephen Keogh, with Malcolm O'Kelly locking down alongside Devin Toner.

CJ van der Linde starts at tight-head prop in a front row which includes Bernard Jackman and Stan Wright.

Reddan partners Shaun Berne at half-back, with Isa Nacewa named on the left wing in a back three which includes the experienced Girvan Dempsey and 18-year-old Andrew Conway who comes in for his first senior start for the province on the right wing.

Ireland Under-20 captain Rhys Ruddock is named amongst the replacements alongside the likes of Ireland internationals Trevor Hogan and Mike Ross. CARDIFF BLUES:

15: Ben Blair, 14: Tom James, 13: Casey Laulala, 12: Tom Shanklin, 11: Chris Czekaj, 10: Ceri Sweeney, 9: Gareth Cooper; 1: Taufa'ao Filise, 2: T Rhys Thomas, 3: Gary Powell, 4: Scott Morgan, 5: Paul ***o CAPTAIN, 6: Maama Molitika, 7: Sam Warburton, 8: Xavier Rush

REPLACEMENTS: 16: Huw Dowden, 17: Scott Andrews, 18: Andries Pretorius, 19: Andy Powell, 20: Lloyd Williams, 21: Sam Norton-Knight, 22: Dafydd Hewitt

LEINSTER:

15: Girvan Dempsey
14: Andrew Conway
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Shaun Berne
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Stan Wright
2: Bernard Jackman
3: CJ van der Linde
4: Devin Toner
5: Malcolm O'Kelly
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN
8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Richardt Strauss
17: Mike Ross
18: Trevor Hogan
19: Rhys Ruddock
20: Paul O'Donohoe
21: Ian Madigan
22: Simon Keogh

REFEREE: Andy Macpherson (SRU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Leighton Hodges (WRU), Phil Connett (WRU), TMO: Hugh Watkins (WRU0[/b]

Fresh from scoring two tries against England u20s and creating a try for Jonny Sexton on his senior Leinster debut in his last two outings, 18 year old Andrew Conway makes his first start in a team which is otherwise as expected. McFadden and O'Malley haven't set the world alight as centres for the A team so I'm a little unconvinced that they'll up their game against the Blues. I think they'll struggle when faced with Shanklin and Laulala.

Cardiff Blues team to face Leinster: -

15 Ben Blair
14 Tom James
13 Casey Laulala
12 Tom Shanklin
11 Chris Czekaj
10 Ceri Sweeney
9 Gareth Cooper

8 Xavier Rush
7 Sam Warburton
6 Maama Molitika
5 Paul ***o ©
4 Scott Morgan
3 Gary Powell
2 T Rhys Thomas
1 Taufa'ao Filise

Replacements: 16 Huw Dowden 17 Scott Andrews 18 Andries Pretorius 19 Andy Powell 20 Lloyd Williams 21 Sam Norton-Knight 22 Dafydd Hewitt

No surprises really. I am happy Molitika kept his spot - but I wonder whether Dai would have made the same decision if the buggy incident didn't happen. I predict the pack will struggle in the set piece and if Lenister can take advantage of that it will be a long afternoon. Other than that I think the Cardiff backs may just be to strong.

Its officially Ladies day at the city stadium on sunday, where female fans can get in for £2 and there are loads of big retailers like John Lewis and New Look giving freebies away. Its all in aid of Cancer Research Wales and hopefully it will be a successful afternoon. There will be alot of pink shirts in the stadium I think!

Seen highlights of the U.20 game vs England and Conway is a player who can rise very quickly and great opportunity for him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 5 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Seen highlights of the U.20 game vs England and Conway is a player who can rise very quickly and great opportunity for him.[/b]
He has blinding pace, a wicked side step and a great eye for a gap. I firmly believe wing will be his best position since he doesn't have a huge boot and fielding a garryowen wouldn't be a strong aspect of his game.

The easy decision would have been for Michael Cheika to pick the steady Simon Keogh for this game. Fair play to him for promoting Conway who'll play international rugby for a decade. Cheika has served Irish rugby brilliantly during his tenure. Would another coach have given Conway, Luke Fitzgerald, Cian Healy, Dominic Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Ian McKinley, Rob and Dave Kearney their debuts as teenagers? I doubt it.

0-7, Leinster lead after 10 minutes. Fergus McFadden converted his own try having been put through under the posts by Shaun Berne.

5-10 now, 21 minutes gone. Cardiff's try stemmed from a dreadful clearance kick courtesy of Shaun Berne. Decent start. The Blues are making a lot of yardage off the back of their scrums.

12-16 to Leinster at the break. Fergus McFadden with all Leinster's points. Warburton and Powell with Cardiff's tries. Ben Blair's having a bit of a 'mare with the boot.

I'm relatively pleased so far. The fringe defense needs to improve as does Leinster's discipline.

What do you think of the boys taking the penalties from the two 5m scrums Snoop? Seemed like we could have pushed on for the penalty tries, perhaps a lack of belief or just a pragmatic approach?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 7 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What do you think of the boys taking the penalties from the two 5m scrums Snoop? Seemed like we could have pushed on for the penalty tries, perhaps a lack of belief or just a pragmatic approach?[/b]
It's hard to argue with accepting 6 points but I think they could have gone for the pushover try. On the first occasion they re-scrummed it after being awarded a penalty before deciding to take the 3 points. Having already opted for a scrum, I thought they'd do so again.

In my opinion, if those scrums were out wide, Shane Jennings would have gone for the try. The fact that each penalty was under the posts and a gimme 3 points probably played a part in the decision. Being away from home and shorn of a dozen first teamers means you've to take all the points on offer to you. Don't take chances.

Edit - 17-16 within a minute of the restart. Leinster should have gone for the kill from those scrums!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 7 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 7 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you think of the boys taking the penalties from the two 5m scrums Snoop? Seemed like we could have pushed on for the penalty tries, perhaps a lack of belief or just a pragmatic approach?[/b]
It's hard to argue with accepting 6 points but I think they could have gone for the pushover try. On the first occasion they re-scrummed it after being awarded a penalty before deciding to take the 3 points. Having already opted for a scrum, I thought they'd do so again.

I my opinion, if those scrums were out wide, Shane Jennings would have gone for the try. The fact that each penalty was under the posts and a gimme 3 points probably played a part in the decision. Being away from home and shorn of a dozen first teamers means you've to take all the points on offer to you. Don't take chances.
[/b][/quote]

Suppose you can't argue with that.

Cardiff go over after about 2 seconds. 17-16 with the kick to come.

Missed.

Harsh penalty there. Berne was low.

Okay maybe not, replay tells a different story. C'mon Fergus! Arsebiscuits.

Stan Wright has been very poor. Missed Warburton for his try, gave away a penalty in the scrum and gave away another one there for holding on after taking the ball on from a standing start.

Great score by Jackman, created by O'Malley. 17-23 after 50 minutes.

O'Malley looks a tidy player.

Latest posts