Cardiff Blues v Northampton

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Cardiff.png
Northampton.png

Cardiff Blues v Northampton
</div>

A foot injury denies Martyn Williams the chance to face Northampton at Ricoh Arena, his back-row place filled by Robin Sowden-Taylor.

The Blues welcome back Leigh Halfpenny, Tom Shanklin and Jamie Roberts from Wales Six Nations duty, while Gethin Jenkins also returns in the forwards.

Paul Diggin replaces Sean Lamont on the Saints wing with Stephen Myler preferred to Barry Everitt at fly-half.

Tom Smith, Dylan Hartley and Euan Murray return in a new-look front row.

Argentine second row Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe and flanker Scott Gray also come in to freshen up a side that lost 32-27 to London Irish last time out.

Wales squad members Bradley Davies and John Yapp return to the Blues bench after winning caps against Italy but number eight Andy Powell is still absent after injured a thigh muscle last Friday.

Blues coach Dai Young hopes his side can go a step further than last season.

The Blues failed to reach the same stage last year and Young does not want to risk them blowing the chance of making the final by thinking too far ahead.

"We know how big this game is and we want to go one step further and get to the final," said Young.

"We are certainly not talking about the final or winning it, we are just talking about Northampton.

"They are a quality outfit. We know how hard it is going to be, but if we can reach the heights that we've reached for most of the season, I'm confident we will come away with the result."

Northampton director of rugby Jim Mallinder is also expecting a tough encounter and also praised the quality of the opposition.

"We certainly know that we will have to be at our very best to beat them. They've got top-class players in their squad who are household names like Gethin Jenkins and Tom Shanklin as well as plenty of others with lots of experience like Xavier Rush, Paul ***o and Ben Blair," he said.

"But we have played well in our last few games and with our international players returning we have some selection dilemmas.

"I've been delighted with the way the internationals have played in the Six Nations, but have also been delighted with how the players who have come into the Saints side have performed.

"There were certainly several tough decisions over who will play on Saturday."

Route to the semi-final:

The Blues beat Leicester Tigers, Bath and the Sale Sharks on their way to reaching the semi-final, which is being held at the Ricoh Arena.

Northampton Saints, eighth in the Guinness Premiership, made it to the last four by beating Bristol and the Scarlets in their group.

Cardiff Blues: Blair; Halfpenny, Shanklin, Roberts, James; N Robinson, Spice; Jenkins, G Williams, Filise, D Jones, ***o (capt), Molitika, Sowden Taylor, Rush.
Replacements: Yapp, Rhys Thomas, B Davies, Morgan, Rees, Sweeney, J Robinson.

Northampton Saints: Foden; Diggin, Ansbro, Downey, Reihana (capt); Myler, Dickson; Smith, Hartley, Murray, Fernandez Lobbe, Kruger, Best, Gray, Wilson.
Replacements: Sharman, Tonga'uiha, Lawes, Easter, Dickens, Everitt, Mayor.

BBC Sport

It seems Northampton have been playing well while the English boys have been on England duty (how many players do Northampton loose to the national squad?). I can't see past a Blues win here, as long as they take any of their form from Europe it should be a 10 point win min. Famous last words!

I quite like the look of the Northampton pack, but it's quite a snazzy Cardiff backline so should be a close one.

I see the NH back three having a good day and dominating, Cardiff backs don't get ball and Meyler has a good match and Cardiff somehow win.

Good analysis, Cardiff look weak from 1-10, which is where Northampton look strongest. Tough one to call, but I think Blair's boot could pull Cardiff through.

well I'm just hoping for a decent match now given the drivel we've been served up in the previous one.

Blair gets a relatively easy one to open the Blues' account, certainly making a better fist than the kickers in the previous match.

Have to say, I've been very impressed by Dylan Hartley. Seems acurate strong and good in the loose.

does make his ommission from the England starting lineup all the more baffling.

Impressed with Clancy actually running towards the players who were looking to start something, makes a change from the Wayne Barnes approach of running away like a coward.

Blair fails to double the score.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Mar 28 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have to say, I've been very impressed by Dylan Hartley. Seems acurate strong and good in the loose.[/b]

that said though he's close to going in the bin.

Poor effort to find touch there.

We've got a total Cork feen as ref boi! "Don't give away no penalties or I'll give you a clatter and send you the sin-gaff"

he's from the Bull Hayes neck of the woods.

woeful hands from Ansbro previously.

Roberts could well have a chance to cement a Lions place with some big performances in the next few weeks especially if the injuries are serious to both Henson and Tindall.

Latest posts