• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Scarlets

B

bgrugbyfan

Shanklin and Jamie Roberts are back for the game against the Scarlets on Saturday. The good or bad news is the SNK is playing too.

Blues: 15 Ben Blair 14 Richard Mustoe 13 Tom Shanklin 12 Jamie Roberts 11 Gareth Thomas 10 Sam Norton-Knight 9 Richie Rees

8 Xavier Rush 7 Robin Sowden-Taylor 6 Maama Molitika 5 Paul ***o © 4 Bradley Davies 3 Taufa’ao Filise 2 T Rhys Thomas 1 John Yapp

16 Darren Morris 17 Gareth Williams 18 Deiniol Jones 19 Andy Powell 20 Gareth Cooper 21 Ceri Sweeney 22 Gavin Evans

Quite a strong team, pity that Sowden-Taylor and Norton-Knight are playing (maybe the shiteness comes from the double barrelled names? :p ) but I guess we'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Would be much happier if Halfpenny was plying instead of Mustoe too, they resting him or is he injured? Very happy that the strong centre partnership of Roberts and Shanklin (not quite as good as Roberts - BOD but it'll do) is back, hopefully it'll steady the team in defence and attack.
Dai Young doing a P Divvy again and not picking Warburton <_<

Also the Scaaarlets team:

Scarlets: Daniel Evans; Sean Lamont, Gareth Maule, Jonathan Davies, Mark Jones (capt), Rhys Priestland, Martin Roberts; Iestyn Thomas, Ken Owens, Deacon Manu, Lou Reed, Dominic Day, Simon Easterby, Richie Pugh, David Lyons.
Replacements: Phil John, Matthew Rees, Vernon Cooper, Josh Turnbull, Tavis Knoyle, Dan Newton, Lee Williams.

Should be a good match, am glad that Stephen Jones isn;t back as Priestlands kicking is a bit all over the place atm. m very excited for thsi match, I can actually go to the match, but dont; want to pay £20 (rather than £5 last season)

Why do sides persist in playing Alfie on the wings. He is a far more effective centre but I guess with Shanks and Roberts there it's hard to make a case for Thomas at 12 or 13. Could move Thomas to 15 and in that case would Blair make an effective 10 do you think. The back line being

9 Rees
10 Blair
11 Halfpenny ( I know he aint playing it's a hypothetical thing)
12 Shanklin
13 Roberts
14 Mustoe
15 Thomas

Just a random idea

I can't find anything on 1/2penny being injured so I assume he's just out of rotation this week. Stephen Jones is still out due to his achilles so it should definitely help the Blues that he's not playing.

edit: I'm in for anyone else trying out at 10. It can't really get much worse.

Yeah agree that G.Thomas is a much better centre and may be better there as out in wing he up against it at his age but he a pure rugged centre and FB would be his next best position but think it hard to move Shanklin who in my pinion is 1 of most under-rated players in game.

Better look in backs but still think without a decent #10 ye wont find it easy but on point of Blair at 10 i agree it should be worth a try as there plenty of good players that can come in at 15 11 or 14 and he has all the attributes.

Also lads what the story with Powell like is he only just playin 30 mins a game or what?

Seen him in Thomond few weeks ago and he only seemed interested in showing off to us in terrace with his press ups :D

Still no S. Jones :(
The sooner Priestlands not at 10, the better

Reckon the Scarlets will get this, maybe not by a longshot, but a win nontheless

Either it's going to be a hammering by the Blues, or a narrow Scarlets victory.

Shanks is back alongside Roberts, so that's a massive plus for the Blues. Halfpenny has been dropped, so that's a massive minus for them.

Matt Rees isn't as big a plus as he would have been last season- Ken Owens has been phoneminal. However, Lamont, Mark Jones, Dan Evans, Martyn Roberts and Jon Davis are good attackers in the backline, and so should make for a good game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 24 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Either it's going to be a hammering by the Blues, or a narrow Scarlets victory.

Shanks is back alongside Roberts, so that's a massive plus for the Blues. Halfpenny has been dropped, so that's a massive minus for them.

Matt Rees isn't as big a plus as he would have been last season- Ken Owens has been phoneminal. However, Lamont, Mark Jones, Dan Evans, Martyn Roberts and Jon Davis are good attackers in the backline, and so should make for a good game.[/b]

Strongly agreed Ken Owens really impressive this year Rees is under pressure to match

The strong rumour is that Ben Blair has said that he doesn't want to play at 10. Also if SNK/Sweeney are to be the 10s this season then they need to get game time with the normal players around them.

I don't know for sure but this looks like another team where Dai is swapping players in and out to get them used to playing together and in different combinations. It makes me wonder if he has already decided to sacrifice the Magners League as a proving ground to get his Heineken Cup team settled. If he is then it's a dangerous tactic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Sep 25 2009, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The strong rumour is that Ben Blair has said that he doesn't want to play at 10. Also if SNK/Sweeney are to be the 10s this season then they need to get game time with the normal players around them.

I don't know for sure but this looks like another team where Dai is swapping players in and out to get them used to playing together and in different combinations. It makes me wonder if he has already decided to sacrifice the Magners League as a proving ground to get his Heineken Cup team settled. If he is then it's a dangerous tactic.[/b]

It's likely to be his head on the chopping block, especially considering how poorly the season has started and with the furor over 10.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bgrugbyfan @ Sep 25 2009, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Sep 25 2009, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know for sure but this looks like another team where Dai is swapping players in and out to get them used to playing together and in different combinations. It makes me wonder if he has already decided to sacrifice the Magners League as a proving ground to get his Heineken Cup team settled. If he is then it's a dangerous tactic.[/b]

It's likely to be his head on the chopping block, especially considering how poorly the season has started and with the furor over 10.
[/b][/quote]

Still in current situation Blair should be put at 10 until Blues find a capable out-half as Dai can rotate swap or whatever he want but Ceri Sweeney and SNK are never going to be good enough for where Cardiff want to be

Looking at the bigger picture, Norton-Knight has to start the next few games otherwise our we have to start Sweeny in the first Heineken cup game against Harlequins. Peter Thomas is not going to be happy when such a highly paid player sits on the bench. To be fair he has had very little game time and tonight really he needs to step up. Theres no excuses of lack of game time now.

My preferred option would still be Flannagan over Blair because Blair has never played FH for the blues and I think its just a little to wacky as Blair doesn't even feel confident enough to play there. Its a mute point anyway because I don't see this sort of move happening until it is to late.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Sep 26 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Looking at the bigger picture, Norton-Knight has to start the next few games otherwise our we have to start Sweeny in the first Heineken cup game against Harlequins. Peter Thomas is not going to be happy when such a highly paid player sits on the bench. To be fair he has had very little game time and tonight really he needs to step up. Theres no excuses of lack of game time now.

My preferred option would still be Flannagan over Blair because Blair has never played FH for the blues and I think its just a little to wacky as Blair doesn't even feel confident enough to play there. Its a mute point anyway because I don't see this sort of move happening until it is to late.[/b]
I haven't seen any Blues games yet. How bad has Norton-Knight been? Is it a case of him being a centre or full back and not being a good enough flyhalf?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 26 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I haven't seen any Blues games yet. How bad has Norton-Knight been? Is it a case of him being a centre or full back and not being a good enough flyhalf?[/b]

He has started once and came off the bench twice (don't quote me though). His start was against edinburgh and he really buckled under the pressure as everyone expected alot from him so quickly. It also didn't help Nick Robinson had a stormer that weekend for Gloucester. SNK made some basic kicking errors and did not control the game well at all. His delivery was ok.

The media and some of the support have been very quick to judge and have beenquite hard on him. Warratahs didn't play him FH even though he requested it and he's been playing fullback for two years... hes going to take time to settle into FH, especially in the Northern Hemisphere, hence why I think he needs starts before the HC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Sep 26 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 26 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't seen any Blues games yet. How bad has Norton-Knight been? Is it a case of him being a centre or full back and not being a good enough flyhalf?[/b]

He has started once and came off the bench twice (don't quote me though). His start was against edinburgh and he really buckled under the pressure as everyone expected alot from him so quickly. It also didn't help Nick Robinson had a stormer that weekend for Gloucester. SNK made some basic kicking errors and did not control the game well at all. His delivery was ok.

The media and some of the support have been very quick to judge and have beenquite hard on him. Warratahs didn't play him FH even though he requested it and he's been playing fullback for two years... hes going to take time to settle into FH, especially in the Northern Hemisphere, hence why I think he needs starts before the HC.
[/b][/quote]
Thanks.

Again this may be an uneducated opinion because I haven't seen him in a Blues shirt. His "plight" reminds me of Isa Nacewa last year. In the Super 14 he was clearly a good player but he's being asked to do a job he hasn't got the skillset to perform. Nacewa was a good runner and passer but his tactical awareness from 10 was shocking. Norton-Knight, based on reports, is in the same category. He's an excellent utility back but needs time to learn how to play 10 properly. Unfortunately for him, the Blues success last season won't afford him the opportunity to learn on the job.

Pretty much spot on.

The issue I have with it is, whoever made the decision to bring this lad over did not do their homework on him. For the salary he is on, we could have brought in someone better. Or maybe even looked closer to home. I would have loved to see Dan Biggar to come to us or brought one of the younger blues team through. It probably would have taken the same amount of time that SNK is going to take to become a tidy FH.

I looked OK in the last fifteen minutes or however long he was on for against Munster, though. Blair might be a good kicker, but how do we know he's not going to control the game is a simualr way to SNK? (AKA: Not at all)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 26 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I looked OK in the last fifteen minutes or however long he was on for against Munster, though. Blair might be a good kicker, but how do we know he's not going to control the game is a simualr way to SNK? (AKA: Not at all)[/b]

That true but just think Blair much better skillsets and has better chance.
But just hink Cardiff should have recognized this problem and addressed this long time ago like as big a blow as it was loosing nicky Robinson they had plenty of notice and should have got someone from the GP or Southern Hemisphere capable of doing job even if it were short-term until better options arise

Mother****er. Can there be a more useless halfback partnership than Priestland and that joker Roberts?

CAN THERE?

Latest posts