Cardiff Blues V Toulon

DuncTheDoodle

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
Amlin Challenge Cup Final

Toulon: C Marienval; G Lovobalavu, T May, S Williams, J Sinzelle; J Wilkinson, M Henjak (capt); S Taumoepeau, P Fitzgerald, D Kubriashvili, E Lozada, R Skeate, J van Niekerk, J Fernandez Lobbe, F Auelua.
Replacements: S Bruno, L Emmanuelli, T Ryan, J Suta, O Sourice, M Kefu, P Mignoni, T Umaga.
Blues: B Blair; L Halfpenny, C Laulala, J Roberts, C Czekaj; C Sweeney, R Rees; G Jenkins (capt), R Thomas, T Filise, D Jones, B Davies, M Molitika, M Williams, X Rush.
Replacements: G Williams, J Yapp, S Andrews, P ***o, S Warburton, D Allinson, D Flanagan, D Hewitt.
Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)

Kick-off 3PM, live on Sky Sports 1/HD

Stage is set.

I will be completely honest, I have read a lot about Toulon, but have very rarely seen any of their games. If they were smart, they watched the tape against Munster and will know a power game lead by wilkinson is the way to beat Cardiff at the moment - taking the blues on in a wide game will suit the blues.

In saying this the weather is going to kill the blues and I think they may tire come 65 mins. I think Cardiff can win, but with the weather and the fact that its pretty much an away game (don't agree with this at all), I can see it being a very tight affair.

Cardiff Blues were the only team to beat this years HC winner in the HC! I know its only the Amlin, but its another cup in the cupboard and has often been a springboard to big things in the HC and still european honours.

The Blues can do it. Got to believe in themselves and they can get the job done.

Why is Henjak captain for Toulon? He is a bloody thug.

Tbh, I don't have massive expectations of the Blues winning this one, I mean look where the expectations got our wendyball stadium sharers earlier today! I just think it might be hard to do against a team with Toulons bought talent in what is pretty much a home-from-home game to them (out of interest, why was Marseilles picked instead of Gloucester, as would have been the case if Connacht had won? It's hardly a neutral venue) But then again, wasn't overly impressed with Toulon against Connacht, who imo were really unlucky to lose in the semis, and the Blues are having a fantastic away run atm, and are unbeaten in quite a few games now I think. Anyone reckon tiredness might factor in? It's been a very long season for both sides, and it's sure to be scorching down in the south of France tomorrow (then again, the same could be said for if it had been in Cardiff! has been really hot today!) but Toulon had to play through a grueling extra-time play off defeat to Clermont, while the Blues had a weeks rest. Am very suprised (and relieved!) that Contepomi hasn't been picked. He's a class act, and looked good in the highlights of the playoff last week. Am really looking forward to this one tbf, should be a cracker, just hope the Blues can bring home the silverware :D Cer amdani yr Gleision!

Why is Henjak captain for Toulon? He is a bloody thug.

I wondered that too? especially considering what a class act Migoni is, it seems silly to give him the captancy because it limits the amount of time Migoni gets.

Both teams have some great players,
Though as above, Toulon have the "home" advantage, and are used to playing around there/will be used to the heat more
Can't wait to see Sonny Bill Williams face up against Jamie Roberts,
Should be a good match, think Toulon will win, but would love to be proven wrong

I think everyone has Toulon as favourites at the moment Olly. I do think that the game should have been played in a more neutral territory. Its a nightmare to get to the south of france for Blues supporters and just becuase we come down from the HC doesn't mean the other team should have a home advantage. Its a shame becuase if it was at HQ for example, I think the blues would be favourites (for the first time in a long time).

It will be a close game and Wilko thrives off these situations, I am optimistic that we have a good chance, but have no expectations of winning.

Got one of my final exams tomorrow so Ill be sneakily listening on the radio at the library, if we win I may get kicked out!

I wondered that too? especially considering what a class act Migoni is, it seems silly to give him the captancy because it limits the amount of time Migoni gets.

Mignoni is not a leader. If he was still at Clermont they would have lost in the qf against Racing. Henjak is probably a lesser scrumhalf than Mignoni but he's got mongrel and never takes a step back.

Wow, lots of noise during penalty kicks. How very french.

3-0 to Cardiff, Halfpenny penalty.

Wilko evens it up. Cardiff need to sort the discipline.

3-3

Cardiff need to sort the discipline.

3-3
This,
Cardiff were on for a try then, about 4m out, had the ball on their side of the ruck, but then whoever is playing 3 for Cardiff (french commentary combined with not knowing a lot of players isn't helping me here :p ) went in at the side giving Toulon the penalty

Tao Filise. Silly mistake but he is probably one of our most underrated players. He is very explosive in the loose.

Sonny Bill Williams shows what an arrogant, over-rated twat he is with those stupid backhand passes. On the flipside, Lobbe's looking good.

And Cardiff... How are they leading? They're not even playing so far.

6-6 and wilko is not going to miss today. From what it sounds like Blues struggling to get possession and when they do mistakes are coming in. Rhys Thomas has to come off, his throwing is awful today.

It's only a matter of time before Toulon get a try, really

EDIT: SBW got one while i was typing that

On a sidenote, anyone else think he looks like Bear Grylls?

Try Toulon - Cardiff sound tired already. This could get ugly now.

13-6

Need to get better possession and Gareth Williams needs to come on. Not out of it but, again, home advantage is crazy for a final. Especially with such different conditions.

I am going to stop listening now, this game isn't worth failing my exams over haha!

Gonna be a tough second half. Blues still in this, but it sounds like the heat is gonna get to them tbh. If the Blues can score first, it's game on, but I think if Toulon score it's game over I'm afraid.

Latest posts