• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff University v Swansea University 15th Annual Varisty at the Millennium Stadium

best_fullback

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bristol
Hi guys,

Just thought I would let you all know about this match that happened on Wednesday night at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. As most of you will know, most Universities have what is know as a varsity fixture each year with a rival university; the most famous of which is Oxford v Cambridge. What is highly regarded as the second biggest university rivalry in England and Wales is that between Cardiff and Swansea.

For 15 years now at Easter time the two universities meet for a day of sports ranging from Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse, Netball, Football, Fencing and of course culminating in the best event: the Mens 1st XV Rugby Union.

In the previous 2 years of watching this fixture Cardiff have won once 9-6, in a very dull game at Cardiff Arms Park back in 2008. Swansea won the second at the Liberty Stadium in a tense comeback 16-12 in 2009 which had then set up (for me at least!) a decider in my final year.

This years game was fantastic and showcased what I thought was a very high standard of rugby, and the record varsity crowd of 14,789 were brilliant and really made the occasion with a great atmosphere.

What was also brilliant was that this was the first fixture between the two teams that was broadcast live on S4C, which means you can watch the whole game on their website or highlights on the WRU website. I won't reveal the final score for anyone who wants to watch the game!

For full game the link to S4C is here. Game is broadcast in Welsh.
For highlights on the WRU website the link is here. Highlights in English.
(not sure whether these links will work outside of the UK)

Only watched the highlights, but looks a good match

Remember last years was basically a fight with a rugby ball involved :p
and then Liberty got in such a state (pitch and just general mess and disorder) they said they're not allowing it to be held there again

15,000 is a massive crowd when you consider normal Magners attendances are between 3 and 7k (I know this is just a one off, but a good amount of support there)

Hi guys,

Just thought I would let you all know about this match that happened on Wednesday night at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. As most of you will know, most Universities have what is know as a varsity fixture each year with a rival university; the most famous of which is Oxford v Cambridge. What is highly regarded as the second biggest university rivalry in England and Wales is that between Cardiff and Swansea.

For 15 years now at Easter time the two universities meet for a day of sports ranging from Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse, Netball, Football, Fencing and of course culminating in the best event: the Mens 1st XV Rugby Union.

In the previous 2 years of watching this fixture Cardiff have won once 9-6, in a very dull game at Cardiff Arms Park back in 2008. Swansea won the second at the Liberty Stadium in a tense comeback 16-12 in 2009 which had then set up (for me at least!) a decider in my final year.

This years game was fantastic and showcased what I thought was a very high standard of rugby, and the record varsity crowd of 14,789 were brilliant and really made the occasion with a great atmosphere.

What was also brilliant was that this was the first fixture between the two teams that was broadcast live on S4C, which means you can watch the whole game on their website or highlights on the WRU website. I won't reveal the final score for anyone who wants to watch the game!

For full game the link to S4C is here. Game is broadcast in Welsh.
For highlights on the WRU website the link is here. Highlights in English.
(not sure whether these links will work outside of the UK)

********, was there that year and the game was a tense game, with Swansea throwing away ample opportunity to win it and Cardiff's defense stuck it out with some pretty good last ditch tackling and scramble defense and scored a nice try in the corner. Also that year Swansea was full of ringers from Ospreys academy.

Last edited:
********, was there that year and the game was a tense game, with Swansea throwing away ample opportunity to win it and Cardiff's defense stuck it out with some pretty good last ditch tackling and scramble defense. Also that year Swansea was full of ringers from Ospreys academy.

Sorry but IMO I thought it was pretty boring. I think that a game that doesn't involve a single try (especially in a varsity game) is highly boring considering there were 6 tries this year and 3 or 4 in 2009. I 100% appreciate that it isn't always the critical element for a good game, but because it is your university in general you are supporting more than the actual 'team' playing (because nobody knows all of them) I personally think it is better to see a spectacle rather than say a good defensive or kicking performance.

As for the academy boys that is a massive problem with this fixture. Many players do get left out for academy boys when on merit they should probably be playing. My friend knew a lock who was meant to be starting for Cardiff but was dropped the week before for a Scarlets academy player.

Could Jamie Roberts take part in this if he wanted to?
Like, if he registered with Cardiff Uni rugby, is there anything to stop pros playing?

Could Jamie Roberts take part in this if he wanted to?
Like, if he registered with Cardiff Uni rugby, is there anything to stop pros playing?

Ye Jamie played for Cardiff Uni in 2007 as he broke into the Blues side. In reality he could but the Blues would not allow him to do so for the risk of injury.

After graduating I'd feel a bit weird if I went to the game, but I did watch it on S4C in the pub! Swansea were definitely worth the win, played a much smarter and attractive game to Cardiff - too many ******* Saes in our side clearly!!!!

Oh and BFB and Cymro might be getting confused, I'm not sure... the game in 2008 was 19-9 to Cardiff and definitely a far better game than the one that finished 9-6 in 2009.
I know Cymro was at Cardiff Uni in 2008 - so was that the one you meant?
I also agree with BFB that the 9-6 was an abomination.

After graduating I'd feel a bit weird if I went to the game, but I did watch it on S4C in the pub! Swansea were definitely worth the win, played a much smarter and attractive game to Cardiff - too many ******* Saes in our side clearly!!!!

Oh and BFB and Cymro might be getting confused, I'm not sure... the game in 2008 was 19-9 to Cardiff and definitely a far better game than the one that finished 9-6 in 2009.

Aye ye 19-9 my bad ... ill get my coat!

missed this match cause i was gigging (what a **** night to gig, was empty :p). heard from a friend that was at the match that swansea were worthy winners. Was there tv coverage of it?? didn't know about till the night??

Graduated last year.

Sorry you are correct!

Yeah it is my mistake sorry Cyrmo! I'm confusing the year I began at Swansea (Sep 2008) with the year Varsity was held which was of course 2009! Thanks cyRil for correcting me!

missed this match cause i was gigging (what a **** night to gig, was empty :p). heard from a friend that was at the match that swansea were worthy winners. Was there tv coverage of it?? didn't know about till the night??

Yeah was on S4C the link is in the opening post.

ah right sorry, haven't quite woken up properly yet. Sucks to be a Glam student, we dont really get anything like varsity matches, especially us atrium students. I guess they dont expect musicians to like watching and playing rugby (and be any good at it either :p :p). Will defo check the link to see if theres anyone i know playing :D

Latest posts