• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff vs Leicester Shoot-out in Heineken Cup Semifinals 09

Mmm yes, it was far more intense than any football penalty shoot-out I've seen.

What makes it different to football is that every footy player can kick the ball very well, even if their the goalkeeper etc. Today, we saw players that probably haven't attempted a penalty for years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ May 4 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What makes it different to football is that every footy player can kick the ball very well, even if their the goalkeeper etc. Today, we saw players that probably haven't attempted a penalty for years.[/b]
Ten years ago you used to have soccer players in the WC taking shoot-out penalties when they hadn't practised.

Rugby scoring is more complex, so I'm happy we won't see many like this.

It wasn't good drama, not really. You could see it in the players' faces - they knew it was a bit of nonsense that has nothing to do with the game. What really lit up the match were Cardiff's tries.

A few posters on Gwlad suggested that two players be removed from each side for every five minutes of extra time, till you end up with 7-a-side by the final whistle ie. start the first period of extra time with 13 each, the second with 9. Almost guarantees scores, and forces the coaches in to tactical chess.

Sounds intriguing, and at least it's still rugby. I dunno - there has to be a better way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ May 3 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ May 4 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes it different to football is that every footy player can kick the ball very well, even if their the goalkeeper etc. Today, we saw players that probably haven't attempted a penalty for years.[/b]
Ten years ago you used to have soccer players in the WC taking shoot-out penalties when they hadn't practised.[/b][/quote]

Well they still knew how to kick a football, isn't that the very basic of skills a footy player needs? In football, every member of the team (bar the galkeeper) can and do score goals, they would all practice their sooting teqnique.

In rugby, not many players practice taking shots at goal other than the ones who have kicking duties. This was obvious with even some of the outside backs today, James and Murphy missing, let alone when it got to some of the forwards.

I thought it was great drama. It's not as if this kinda thing will happen much (once every 10 years, if that) so I don't see the problem with this way to end the match. It was obvious to see how knackered the players were in extra time, making them play on any longer could result in serious injury, afterall, there's more chance of injury when a players tired (pulling a muscle etc.) and when people stop concentrating, stupid things can happen (high tackle, taking a player out in the air etc.) It's not ideal, but it was fun to see.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ May 4 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ May 3 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ May 4 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ten years ago you used to have soccer players in the WC taking shoot-out penalties when they hadn't practised.[/b][/quote]

Well they still knew how to kick a football, isn't that the very basic of skills a footy player needs? In football, every member of the team (bar the galkeeper) can and do score goals, they would all practice their sooting teqnique.

In rugby, not many players practice taking shots at goal other than the ones who have kicking duties. This was obvious with even some of the outside backs today, James and Murphy missing, let alone when it got to some of the forwards.

I thought it was great drama. It's not as if this kinda thing will happen much (once every 10 years, if that) so I don't see the problem with this way to end the match. It was obvious to see how knackered the players were in extra time, making them play on any longer could result in serious injury, afterall, there's more chance of injury when a players tired (pulling a muscle etc.) and when people stop concentrating, stupid things can happen (high tackle, taking a player out in the air etc.) It's not ideal, but it was fun to see.
[/b][/quote]
Rugby is football - same game John Eales used to play, a second row smacking over penalties and drop goals from the 10m line. Practice!

In soccer shoot-outs you get one guy trying to beat the other guy. That's drama - many times it's the goalie who ends up jumping around the pitch because his colour came up on the roulette wheel. In the Cardiff shoot-out it was a bunch of guys trained to run patterns with ball in hand who end up trying to beat the posts. Not good.

Sure, it won't happen often. But something that stops teams being conservative in extra time will avoid a shoot out that's about as fair as tossing a coin to see who goes through.

It was amazing!!! I was even tense when i watched it 10 mins ago even thought i knew the out come. But i really feel back for Martin it just had to be it i guess.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ May 4 2009, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It was amazing!!! I was even tense when i watched it 10 mins ago even thought i knew the out come. But i really feel bad for Martin it just had to be it i guess.[/b]

fixed

I think it might have to be re-thought. It's a good idea, but watching forwards toe punt it into the adboards is not a good advert for rugby, and isn't really fair for such a skill specific game. For a start, you can't really kick goals with forwards boots.

Rather as an alternative to a shoot-out, i think they should have the teams reduced to 7 players after the 100 mins, so effectively you get a 7's game, complete with DG's for conversions for 15 mins. Not too long, you'd see a bit more excitement.

I would rather have kicks at goal by nominated kickers across the 22, touchline to touchline. If it was still all square, the next kicker will make 5.. and so forth until we have a winner.

Or you could have DG's for the kicks or penalties/DG's that go back 10m after every successful attempt.

When I saw Williams failing...GOD!!!!!!!!!!!I wonder why they kicked penalties instead of drop goals

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugbierbanger @ May 19 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When I saw Williams failing...GOD!!!!!!!!!!!I wonder why they kicked penalties instead of drop goals[/b]
You're always allowed to kick DGs when you're kicking penalties, so they had that option.

A horrendous way to settle the Semi Final of the Northern Hemisphere's premier club rugby competition.

Latest posts