• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carling gives up on Cipriani

B

Bullitt

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5945151,00.html

Will Carling revealed he has scrapped plans to manage Dan Cipriani because he believes the fly-half is not hungry enough about playing for England.

Carling, who captained England to three Grand Slams during the 1990s, wanted to help Cipriani get his international career "back on track".

But, after spending the last six weeks talking to Cipriani, Carling has concluded the 22-year-old's desire to reclaim the England number ten jersey "is not as strong as it needs to be".

Carling fears Cipriani could become one of English rugby's great wasted talents.

"The reason the whole concept appealed to me was that I believed here was a guy with a special talent, who desperately wanted to play for England, and maybe I could help him work things through with Wasps and England, as I know the key personnel in both camps," Carling wrote on his blog at Rucku.com.

"I have spent the last six weeks trying to focus Danny and, without laying the blame at anyone's door, the main reason that I have decided not to go ahead is that I do not believe that Danny's focus is on playing for England.

"That and that alone was my main motivation for getting involved with him. It is not about money and certainly not about profile, it was about helping him earn the England number ten shirt.

"And, rightly or wrongly, I have concluded that his desire to earn that shirt is not as strong as I want it to be and as strong as it needs to be."

Carling consulted manager Martin Johnson, Wasps head coach Shaun Edwards and former internationals Josh Lewsey and Matt Dawson during the process.

Johnson told Carling that, despite speculation of a fall-out, he had not written Cipriani off.

The consensus of opinion Carling gathered was Cipriani is a "great talent" but with an "ability to alienate team-mates".

"I sincerely hope that it is not a talent that is never fulfilled in an England shirt but I worry that might be the case and I just hope that sometime soon Danny focuses on England and the hard work that will be necessary to earn his place in the team," Carling continued.

Cipriani won his last England cap off the bench against New Zealand in the 2008 autumn internationals, since when his representative appearances have been restricted to the second-string Saxons.

Cipriani's Wasps contract expires in the summer and the club will announce next week whether he features in their plans for next season.

Cipriani has been in contact with the new Super 15 franchise Melbourne Rebels, a move that would halt his international career.

I read that on rucku this morning, seems to me that Cipriani wanting to play for England was because he wanted the fame/money/sponsorships that Wilko has/had, and now that he's been offered big bucks by the french/aussies he's not fussed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 12 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The English Gavin Henson.[/b]

Seconded.

For a guy who describes himself in very modest terms, he does seem to have the finger on the pulse most of the time.

But England will need Cipriani. Just a matter of time. Keep perspective - he's 22, and it may be best for him to get a hard schooling in the SH for a couple of years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 13 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 12 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But England will need Cipriani.[/b]

:lol:

Yeah, like they've needed Rob Andrew and Francis Baron.
[/b][/quote]
So you'll put up with Toby Floods His Knickers? Cipriani has miles more talent, but the risk is that he ends up like Michalak or Spenser.

Flood, Myler, Geraghty & The youngster at Newcastle are all better then Cipriani. Kellys bpy is a flash in the pan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 13 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Flood, Myler, Geraghty & The youngster at Newcastle are all better then Cipriani. Kellys bpy is a flash in the pan.[/b]
All subhuman compared to your favourite hate ... ROG. If Cipriani can absorb a bit of his ability to manage a game, then he will be great. I reckon that's England's best bet for RWC 2015.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 12 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 13 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flood, Myler, Geraghty & The youngster at Newcastle are all better then Cipriani. Kellys bpy is a flash in the pan.[/b]
All subhuman compared to your favourite hate ... ROG. If Cipriani can absorb a bit of his ability to manage a game, then he will be great. I reckon that's England's best bet for RWC 2015.
[/b][/quote]

I like you. You make me laugh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 13 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 12 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 13 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

I like you. You make me laugh.
[/b][/quote]
Vice versa. But I'm laughing through the tears.

im no fan of o'gara whatsoever but with all due respect he is better than flood gerghaty and myler theres a reason hes top scorer in most competitions he plays in

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Feb 13 2010, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
im no fan of o'gara whatsoever but with all due respect he is better than flood gerghaty and myler theres a reason hes top scorer in most competitions he plays in[/b]
I know you're Irish, and therefore biased, but seriously:
lolque.jpg

im half french ...hence i am able to see things from both sides of the fence sure o'gara tacles like an under 10 and i resent players who cant tackle but he is a fantastic kicker and gets his backline moving and puts his backs through gaps .

There's one very simple reason O'Gara has so many points: He's been around seemingly forever as (literally) the only qualified Irish 10-come-kicker and he's remained relatively injury free. Rule of averages stated he was bound to eventually score a lot of points.

3 things though:

1- He's not a "fantastic kicker", he's in fact a very average 75% kicker.
2- He knows about as much when it comes to getting a backline moving as Jonny Wilkinson... Hence Munster and Ireland for years have been described by one and all as "Boring".
3- He has no rugby brain at all and is due no respect. If not for that, just because he's a complete arsehole.

yes yet munster over the last few years have dominated the european scene regardless of wether its boring or not and now that he does have decent outside backs he is spreading the ball alot more and munster are running in more tries..

but yes on the occasion that i met him he came across as a total arsehole

I hear about O'Gara being an ass all the time. What is it exactly ? Things he says during interviews and stuff like that ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Feb 13 2010, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hear about O'Gara being an ass all the time. What is it exactly ? Things he says during interviews and stuff like that ?[/b]

He's a big headded sod who fancies himself as though he's fit to lace Dan Carters boots. In fact, O'Gara believes Carter should be his boot lackey.

yeah hed hardl talk to you at all terribly snobbish attitude

but still runs the show in thomond .....not so much in south africa though....run over moreso than run

Latest posts