• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carlos Spencer back to Super 14

B

Bullitt

Bloemfontein â€" Former All Black flyhalf Carlos Spencer has joined the Lions in one of the biggest contracts ever in South African rugby.

It is believed that Spencer will earn bigger money than Juan Martin Hernandez at the Sharks. The Argentine flyhalf will still be available for the Sharks in this year’s Super14 and is set to join French club side Racing Metro before the Currie Cup.

Spencer, 34, is viewed as a replacement for the Lions’ Springbok flyhalf Andre Pretorius. Pretorius will play for the Force in Perth this year.

The New Zealand gamebreaker is expected in South Africa within the next 10 days. However, a problem with his work permit may delay his arrival.

Bloemfontein-based sports agent Stephan Weyers confirmed to Sport24 that Spencer had signed for the Lions.

He did not want to confirm rumours that it is the most expensive contract to date in South Africa.

Weyers said that Spencer had been released from his contract with English club side Gloucester and he may feature in the warm-up game against the Bulls at Polokwane on 30 January.

“Carlos will also be a skills coach for the Lions in this year’s Currie Cup,†said Weyers.

Spencer’s experience can prove invaluable for Dick Muir’s Lions, who will be without experienced players such as Jaque Fourie (centre, to the Stormers) and Louis Ludik (fullback, to the Sharks).

Spencer represented the All Blacks in 44 Tests between 1997 and 2004. He scored 291 points in 35 Tests.

He made his All Black debut in 1994 as a 20-year-old in a match against Languedoc-Roussillon before playing his first Test against Argentina in 1997.

Spencer has been one of the Blues’ stars before joining the Northampton Saints in 2005.

He scored 608 points for the Blues in Super rugby between 1996 and 2005.

Meanwhile, the Lions will have to wait until at least 21 January before knowing whether they will be able to consider JP Joubert as Spencer’s halfback partner.

Joubert’s dispute with the Free State Cheetahs has gone to arbitration

He never retired, he played for the Saints and then for Glocester, and now he's playing for Lions.

Interesting signing, he was a player who could do amazing things, even if 60% of the time they didn't work.

But at his age, it dosn't seem like a contract which the Lions can hope to get much out of, I mean he's not the Carlos Spencer of 2003, he's old now. And I don't understand why he will play the rest of his career in South Africa, when I'm sure if he wanted to return to Super Rugby, the blues would pay a pretty peny for him. Odd decision, I'll be interested in seeing how it works out. Not a huge Spencer fan, but I'll support the Lions over other South African franchises now.

On a side note, does Spencer playing in the Super 14, make him elligable for New Zealand, despite playing for a SA franchise?

At Northampton i think that ended his career. I dont think he has the cutting egde he used to have. Your probably be only paying for the name.

Damn these idiot SA administrators to hell. LOL, with Jacques Louis Potgieter moving to the Bulls and thus playing second fiddle to Morne Steyn, Pienaar playing at scrummie for the Sharks with Hernandez there, Spencer for the Lions and no real future prospects playing for the Stormers or Cheetahs, SA will only really have 1 flyhalve getting gametime this year.

My only hope is for the Stormers and Cheetahs to give the nebies a chance to prove themselves in the likes of Louis Strydom and Conrad Hofman but the Stormers are notorious that they would rather play a has-been (de Waal) than blood someone inexperienced or look overseas (Tamua). Cheetahs pretty much the same; expect them to field either Bosman or Olivier ahead of young Strydom.

Oh, apparently that's it for Hernandez in the S14; out with a back injury. Pienaar and Cronje will miss a couple of weeks of S14 as well recovering from surgery. Who else is there at the Sharks with du Mond at the Cheetahs? Olivier, Ross Cronje maybe? Try a combo of McLeod and Kockott, LOL.

Behind a decent pack and with backs who have an ounce of skill he could still be as good as he ever was.

At the Lions however...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 7 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Behind a decent pack and with backs who have an ounce of skill he could still be as good as he ever was.[/b]

So could Wilkinson. However...

Wilkinson was no never more then Paul Grayson with a poster-boy haircut and no sense of self-preservation. And for that matter, a distinct lack of common sense (rugby related or otherwise).

It seems to me like the Lions have signed Spencer, as a way for a 50/50 shot at any form of success, which I guess is a better shot then they've had in the past. i'd still like to know if Spencer is able to represent NZ, as he is playing in the super 14.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 7 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It seems to me like the Lions have signed Spencer, as a way for a 50/50 shot at any form of success, which I guess is a better shot then they've had in the past. i'd still like to know if Spencer is able to represent NZ, as he is playing in the super 14.[/b]

It's a 'Bums on Seats' signing too if you ask me. People from the area who might not go to Lions matches might think 'ooooh Carlos Spencer! He's an All Blacks legend! Lets go watch him', so then ticket sales go up, even if he turns out to be cack.
Was the same when the Cardiff Blues signed Lomu. Lomu was trying to come back into rugby after his operation, so there was no guarentee he'd be amazing, but the name brought the fans in. I read somewhere that they had to set up extra seating to cope with the demand for tickets for Lomu's first home game.

He does realise how utter shite the lions are? <_<

Hope his ego can cope with getting flogged every week.

Yeah but he is no way the player he used to be. If they really are forking out a copious amount of dosh for him then they are mad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jan 8 2010, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I read somewhere that they had to set up extra seating to cope with the demand for tickets for Lomu's first home game.[/b]
Yeap that is true, I think it was another 2,000 seats they added for Lomu's first game for Cardiff Blues. On the topic of Spencer abd the Lions, do they not have any young, South African fly-halfs?

Latest posts