• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carter and Evans to leave for Europe?

Looking at that picture below, it makes me wonder how Great Britain managed to conquer the world back in the day. :p [/b]

Well you know it is rather good that the basic soldier doesn't reflect too much and so has some limited intellectual capacity.

<div class='quotemain'> Looking at that picture below, it makes me wonder how Great Britain managed to conquer the world back in the day. :p [/b]

Well you know it is rather good that the basic soldier doesn't reflect too much and so has some limited intellectual capacity.
[/b][/quote]
And a big gun!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Looking at that picture below, it makes me wonder how Great Britain managed to conquer the world back in the day. :p [/b]

[/b][/quote]
And a big gun!
[/b][/quote]

easy!!

Returning to topic momentarily, think about this.

Look at the fly halves in the gp:

Leicester- Goode
Wasps- Cipriani
Bath- James
Gloucester- Lamb
Sale- Hodgson and McAllistar
London Irish- Geraghty

My point being, not many clubs in the gp need a new FH. The only two who would go for either player would be Sarries and their fat wad (although would they with Jackson in the frame), and Harlequins who have only recently sold Adrian Jarvis to Bristol, and are due a big announcement according to some. Wishful thinking perhaps! In reality though, T14 is a high likely hood.

P.S. Please don't lament me for straying off the off topic! :)

No offence to those players but this is Carter and Evans we are talking about, they are LEAGUES above them, besides McAllister of course....I don't see the clubs hesitating dumping their current flyhalfs from thier teams...

No offence to those players but this is Carter and Evans we are talking about, they are LEAGUES above them, besides McAllister of course....I don't see the clubs hesitating dumping their current flyhalfs from thier teams...
[/b]

Although Evans and Carter may be better, why would teams like Wasps and Tigers dump high quality fly halfs in a bid to slightly improve one position. Surely they would keep the cash and improve weaknesses in their squad. I'd be astounded to hear that a club with a quality fly half was being axed to make way for a SH name.

Nick Evans signs with Harlequins
Monday, 05 May 2008

Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your Say
Photosport
MAKING A BREAK: All Blacks back Nick Evans has confirmed he will head to Europe at the end of the Air New Zealand Cup rugby championship.

Related Links
• Subscribe to Archivestuff
• Have your say

All Blacks back Nick Evans confirmed today he will head to Europe at the end of the Air New Zealand Cup rugby championship.

Evans, who plays at first five-eighth and fullback for the Blues in the Super 14, said today he had signed with England's Harlequins club until June 30, 2011.

New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) general manager of professional rugby Neil Sorensen said regular talks with Evans and his advisors had been going on since January, in an effort to retain him.

"We were definitely keen to keep him playing here in New Zealand," he said.

"While we are disappointed to lose a player and person of his calibre, we respect his decision. . .we wish him well over there."

Evans made his test debut against England in Dunedin in 2004 and has played 16 tests, scoring 103 points.

He also played for the New Zealand Sevens team, in 2002, and the inaugural Junior All Blacks team in 2005.

At Super 14, Evans played 32 games for the Highlanders and 10 games for the Blues this season. At provincial level, he has played for North Harbour and Otago
[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4511173a1823.html

didnt think it was worth making a new topic especially since all the debate has gone in here so far.

Any news on how much the contract is worth and how long he'll be gone for? [/b]

It said somewhere in that article... I think it's June 30th 2011? Which would rule him out for the WC unless that give him special treatment.

Either way, he'll be out in 11 due to age I think. We have lots of talent coming through.

He won't be a special case, so he's preety much done in the black jersey.

No word on Carter yet. Donald may be picked now to see what he does, but when he shits the bed it's back to square one.

I just marvel at the NH talent discovery program. The guys involved should really be exploring for oil companies.

Yip, that's the end of Nick Evans the All Black.

The writing must have been on the wall when the NZRU openly said that Carter could be offered a sabatical. Evan's would only have had the jersey for one season before Carter returned. Interesting that he's been in negotiantions since January.

Coincedence that now that Nacewa and Evan's have signed to go north that their form for the Blues has plummeted from the start of the season?

There's no way Carter will give up the money on offer. He'll go for a year minimum. Then we're left wondering where our 4 world class 5/8ths went. Carter, McAllister, Evans, Mauger.

So are all these players leaving after this years Tri nations? I wouldn't mind getting a little known Bledisloe cup back this year. ;)

evans probably knew carter would keep him out of the abs so went for the cash. I was hoping he would stay but just not to be. what a killer for the blues too losing evans and nacewa.

Only just heard this news this morning. Quins are yet to officially announce it, but seen as I got a text message from the club this morning, it looks pretty certain.

I for one am bloody chuffed about grabbing Evans, but it's a shame that it probably means Evan's isn't likely to pull on another All Blacks jersey. Still, their loss...our gain

How much more do you have to gain before enough's enough for a couple of years to allow us to recover? That's all we ask. Let the crops grow a bit more before you <strike>rape</strike> reap them maybe?

Their talent scout's must suck - we can pick greatness in 5 year olds apparently. According to Teh Mite, we chose two seemingly ordinary Tongan Parent's, kidnapped them, forced them to breed and they produced Jonah Lomu.

Some of these ex-AB mercs heading up aren't in it for the money you know.

Spare a thought for Chris Jack at Saracens. He was sold on the promise that his family would get a better quality of life and his kids a better standard of education. His salary is actually on par with what he was being paid back in New Zealand.

In which case, maybe the NZRU have been looking at this wrong. Maybe in future they should dangle non-monetary extras like free top class schooling for players kids, NZRU cars and expenses for the select elite who regularly make it into the All Black first XV, stuff like that.

The NZRU can't compete in terms of salary, but they could definitely increase the quality of life for players through means other than just throwing money at them.

The NZRFU already do that - any All Black who is somewhat close to getting a regular spot in the squad get's a new Ford. Part of the offer they made to Carl Haymen was to buy a massive farm for him, in the form of an interest free loan which he could've paid back in 50 years and not owed an extra cent above what the NZRFU paid for it.

And the All Blacks already live preety much free during the season, everything is paid for, including all the clothes they wear, undies, socks, everything is provided for them and paid for by the NZRFU or Adidas.

The NZRFU already do that - any All Black who is somewhat close to getting a regular spot in the squad get's a new Ford. [/b]

Well theres your problem right there! I don't want a bloody Ford Falcon, I want a Range Rover sport V8 Supercharged!

Latest posts