• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chabal on Racing radar

M

M Two One

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Racing Metro president Jacky Lorenzetti has revealed Sebastien Chabal could be one of a host of new players joining the Paris club for the start of next season.

Racing secured promotion to the Top 14 at the weekend thanks to their 33-12 victory over Bordeaux-Begles.

Lorenzetti is already looking ahead to the bolstering of his squad over the summer, and the likes of Chabal, South Africa utility back Francois Steyn and France captain Lionel Nallet have been linked with moves to the capital club.

Lorenzetti confirmed 30 per cent of next season's squad will be new recruits, with Chabal one of the high-profile players in his sights.

"The club's budget will be 15 or 16 million euros, either the fifth or sixth (highest) in the Top 14," Lorenzetti said.

"If Chabal was really costing 1.2m euros, I wouldn't have even opened the dossier.

"Our objective is to stay up - but with ambition.

"We have decided to keep 70 per cent of the current squad. The 30 per cent comprising new players must complement them and have the Racing spirit."

Chabal, who will leave Sale now the regular Premiership season in England has finished, has also been linked with Toulon and Montpellier.[/b]

Source: Yahoo! Sport UK & Ireland

I figured Chabal would've gone to Stade Français last year, but I'd definitely prefer to see him at Racing Métro. I wouldn't be surprised though if Toulon end up snapping him up with a bigger offer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M Two One @ Apr 29 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Racing Metro president Jacky Lorenzetti has revealed Sebastien Chabal could be one of a host of new players joining the Paris club for the start of next season.

Racing secured promotion to the Top 14 at the weekend thanks to their 33-12 victory over Bordeaux-Begles.

Lorenzetti is already looking ahead to the bolstering of his squad over the summer, and the likes of Chabal, South Africa utility back Francois Steyn and France captain Lionel Nallet have been linked with moves to the capital club.

Lorenzetti confirmed 30 per cent of next season's squad will be new recruits, with Chabal one of the high-profile players in his sights.

"The club's budget will be 15 or 16 million euros, either the fifth or sixth (highest) in the Top 14," Lorenzetti said.

"If Chabal was really costing 1.2m euros, I wouldn't have even opened the dossier.

"We have decided to keep 70 per cent of the current squad. The 30 per cent comprising new players must complement them and have the Racing spirit."

Chabal, who will leave Sale now the regular Premiership season in England has finished, has also been linked with Toulon and Montpellier.[/b]

I figured Chabal would've gone to Stade Français last year, but I'd definitely prefer to see him at Racing Métro. I wouldn't be surprised though if Toulon end up snapping him up with a bigger offer.
[/b][/quote]
Glad that they appreciate his value like we Chabalists do.
They might as well spend the whole 15 or 16 million euros on him. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M Two One @ Apr 29 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

[/b][/quote]

Sure I read Chabal said that he would not go to Toulon!

He signed, it's official. And Lionel Nallet too ! Together for 3 years, I guess they will end their career at Paris.

Next target: François Steyn.

Here's an article on the signings.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Big-spending Racing Metro continued the rebuilding of their squad for next season by signing France captain Lionel Nallet and icon Sebastien Chabal.

Nallet and Chabal (pictured) had been widely-expected to join the club but only if they were promoted to the Top 14 for the first time, which they managed last weekend with victory over Bordeaux.

They had originally been linked with a move to another Top 14 side Montpellier but once the club president Philippe Deffins resigned speculation cooled.

Both 32-year-old Nallet and Chabal, 31, signed three-year contracts with Racing, who aside from hoping to challenge for the ***le will want to wrest bragging rights away from the other Paris-based side in the shape of Stade Francais.

"We have won our bet," club president Jacky Lorenzetti told AFP.

"We have been engaged for several months now in signing excellent players and not stars, because we have a habit of saying that with us there is not one individual star, it is the team that counts," added Lorenzetti, who dismissed reports that Chabal alone would be paid 1.2 million euros a year.

Both players are good friends and have played together previously at Bourgoin before Chabal, capped 47 times, decamped in 2004 for Sale Sharks while Nallet, capped 45 times and captain of France since the end of the 2007 World Cup, left for Castres.

Racing - who were created in 2001 after five-time champions Racing Club de France merged with US Metro - are also believed to be close to securing the services of Springbok international back Francois Steyn from Coastal Sharks, according to a source close to the French club.[/b]

I like the mentality of Lorenzetti for these signings. Great work by Racing Métro!

Latest posts