• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Challenge Cup Final

A

An Tarbh

The ERC have in their infinite wisdom decided to have the final at Kingsholm on Friday 22 May with a 19:45 kickoff.

Thought that the final was to be played in the country of the number 1 seeds and whoever proceeded to knock them out would have home advantage in the final were they to progress. Obviously not to be though.

Location is daft though for any Bourgoin fans wishing to travel and to stage it on a Friday is even more ludicrous. Should mean no Wasps though with a Northampton win pretty much a given.

Clermont won it at the Stoop against Bath two years ago, after all we're used to this bullshit, no european final in France since 2001...

f***ing awful decision, both of date and venue, defies all logic. I should still be there as Reading to Gloucester on the train is fairly straightforward, but surely a Saturday or Sunday kickoff at the Madjeski or Ricoh would have made far more sense for the majority.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ May 3 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Clermont won it at the Stoop against Bath two years ago, after all we're used to this bullshit, no european final in France since 2001...[/b]

For the Challenge I think the last time was in 2000. I don't understand why this time it is again organised in Britain... There's no sponsor which could complain. To make it even more difficult it is organised on a Friday evening.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ May 4 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ May 3 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clermont won it at the Stoop against Bath two years ago, after all we're used to this bullshit, no european final in France since 2001...[/b]

For the Challenge I think the last time was in 2000. I don't understand why this time it is again organised in Britain... There's no sponsor which could complain. To make it even more difficult it is organised on a Friday evening.
[/b][/quote]

PLus it's going to take place 5 days only after a decisive match against Brives for Bourgoin, who are still not sure to stay in top 14 next year.
I just read in L'equipe that they sent a letter to the ERC for the location to be changed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ May 4 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ May 4 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ May 3 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

PLus it's going to take place 5 days only after a decisive match against Brives for Bourgoin, who are still not sure to stay in top 14 next year.
I just read in L'equipe that they sent a letter to the ERC for the location to be changed
[/b][/quote]

Paris for me would have been the ideal venue for this game, if not the Jean Bouin than the Stade Charlety, it's a lot easier to get from the midlands to Paris than it is from Bourgoin to Gloucester. Even still they could have used a venue in London at the very least.

Well I for 1 am pleased... £50 for a ticket and the bus is much easier then £500 for a 4 day overseas voyage. Especially as my Passport has expired.

Kingsholm is a smashing ground with a great atmosphere - Decent local pubs to boot. And (mist importantly) it's a real rugby stadium, not a f***ing football ground on some dirty industrial estate with no atmosphere and horrendously overpriced beer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 4 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I for 1 am pleased... £50 for a ticket and the bus is much easier then £500 for a 4 day overseas voyage. Especially as my Passport has expired.

Kingsholm is a smashing ground with a great atmosphere - Decent local pubs to boot. And (mist importantly) it's a real rugby stadium, not a f***ing football ground on some dirty industrial estate with no atmosphere and horrendously overpriced beer.[/b]

You have just explained why there will be Northampton supporters and no Bourgoin supporters.

Hence I'm very pleased it's not being played across the channel.

Rumour has it the stadium will mostly be filled with Gloucester season ticket holders anyway, (more then likely cheering on Saints as a win will block Wasps entry into the HEC).

Bourgoin have failed in their efforts to get the venue changed for the final having sent a letter to the ERC. Reasons given for not changing were that the French league had the opportunity to offer itself as a possible host for the challenge cup final after the pool stages and again after the quarter finals once it was known Bourgoin had a home semi final and likely chance of making the final but given that there was no reply they went with England as it was the only other country to put its name forward to host the final.

LNR and FFR have really taken their eye off the ball with this one, it's tough on Bourgoin but they really should have acted after the pool stages given both Bourgoin and Brive had qualified for the knock out stages.

Still doesn't excuse the moronic choice of English venue and the date.

Why moronic?

Kingsholm is a great stadium with a track record already in hosting Challenge Cup finals sucessfully. Yes, Gloucester isn't on a main motorway and access is tricky, but it certainly isn't impossible - We're often told how easy it is to travel via Eurostar to London, from there is a 2 1/2 hour hop to Gloucester either via Birmingham or Bristol. Combine that with the abundance of accomidation in Gloucester, Bristol, Cheltenham, Worcester and Swindon; There shouldn't be a problem there. Yes, there are people who will have to take the day off work - That shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference regardless of which country you're coming from.

Then finally there's the typical French attitude shining through - For years and years they've been treating the Hinekiddy with contempt. Now one of their teams is through to the final after being dominated by bottom end Premiership sides since forever, they're kicking up a stink because they're not getting preferential treatment. Sorry boys, you didn't want the final when you could have applied for it.

And they're also complaining that it's a Friday game when they have to travel across the channel because of TV scheduling. What about when we traveled to Toulon on a THURSDAY because of TV? None of their lot complained then. Funny that. Take the rough with the smooth, eh?

I can sympathise with the frustration, I for one wouldn't want to spend £500+... But then again, if I could afford and it ment spending my hard earned, plus taking a few days holiday to watch my team in a european final, I would. And I'm sure plenty of the Borgoin fans also will.

The rest will complain. Or blockade Portsmouth in protest.

Hmmm I went round Franklins Gardens today to get my tickets and the bloke told me they are changing the location and possibly date/time also... lol

France never applied - Spliff

Fail - Torygraph

And someone tell me why Borgoin are considered favourites?;

1. S. Myler 118 (Saints)
2. G. Jackson 101 (Sarries)
3. P. Hewat 80 (Not Nots)

Tries

1. C. Ashton 7 (Saints)
2. P. Hewat 6 (Not Nots)
3. B. Johnston 6 (Brive)

Place Kicks

1. S. Myler 43 (Saints)
2. G. Jackson 37 (Sarries)
3. B. Irving 28 (O. Parma)

I couldn't agree more with your post.

Still harsh on the Bourgoin players who have nothing to do with the whole story.

F** those french ******** anyway

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 5 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why moronic?

Kingsholm is a great stadium with a track record already in hosting Challenge Cup finals sucessfully. Yes, Gloucester isn't on a main motorway and access is tricky, but it certainly isn't impossible - We're often told how easy it is to travel via Eurostar to London, from there is a 2 1/2 hour hop to Gloucester either via Birmingham or Bristol. Combine that with the abundance of accomidation in Gloucester, Bristol, Cheltenham, Worcester and Swindon; There shouldn't be a problem there. Yes, there are people who will have to take the day off work - That shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference regardless of which country you're coming from.

Then finally there's the typical French attitude shining through - For years and years they've been treating the Hinekiddy with contempt. Now one of their teams is through to the final after being dominated by bottom end Premiership sides since forever, they're kicking up a stink because they're not getting preferential treatment. Sorry boys, you didn't want the final when you could have applied for it.

And they're also complaining that it's a Friday game when they have to travel across the channel because of TV scheduling. What about when we traveled to Toulon on a THURSDAY because of TV? None of their lot complained then. Funny that. Take the rough with the smooth, eh?

I can sympathise with the frustration, I for one wouldn't want to spend £500+... But then again, if I could afford and it ment spending my hard earned, plus taking a few days holiday to watch my team in a european final, I would. And I'm sure plenty of the Borgoin fans also will.

The rest will complain. Or blockade Portsmouth in protest.[/b]

So it still not confirmed? How can they still not know the time/date and location it isnt that hard. Organise it all and tell anyone that complains tough ***ties lol.

The ERC have confirmed that the final has been moved from Kingsholm to the Twickenham Stoop but the time and date remained unchanged.

Defies logic - A smaller ground and, contrary to the majority of Borgoins arguement, is actually CLOSER to Northampton.

Stupid move IMHO.

it may be closer to northampton but London would be alot easier to get to from bourgoin no?

Latest posts