• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup 15/16 - Rd 1 Pool 5 (Bath, Leinster, Toulon, Wasps)

Wow, this group really not panning out as expected thus far, but certainly showing why it's the group of death

What do Leinster fans think; down and out or still in the hunt ?

Still breathing, just about. Depends how both Leinster and Toulon react, two wins are required and I'm happy the first game is in Stade Felix Mayol because if Toulon lose they'll stick one eye on the top 14 and their revenge attempt should be easier to deal with Dublin. We have the players to beat Toulon twice if they're not at 100% and we shouldn't lose out so much at scrum time and in defence with three weeks more training under the new coaching team. If we can pull that off, with spirits and form flying high, 8 points should follow against Bath and a Piatau-less Wasps, 17 points could do if all the other sides win their other home games but a BP vs Bath would probably be needed to escape.

Rapid and radical change is needed but possible, unfortunately I think Leinster will be all but out after their trip to the South of France. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either, the side is in transition and if we look at history Leinster had a poor HEC in 2007/2008 (going out in the group of death) but a strong Magners League and a lot of playing time for new and younger faces built the core of the squad that would dominate Europe for the next four years.

Last edited:
Still breathing, just about. Depends how both Leinster and Toulon react, two wins are required and I'm happy the first game is in Stade Felix Mayol because if Toulon lose they'll stick one eye on the top 14 and their revenge attempt should be easier to deal with Dublin. We have the players to beat Toulon twice if they're not at 100% and we shouldn't lose out so much at scrum time and in defence with three weeks more training under the new coaching team. If we can pull that off, with spitis and form flying high, 8 points should follow against Bath and a Piatau-less Wasps, 17 points could do if all the other sides win their other home games but a BP vs Bath would probably be needed to escape.

Rapid and radical change is needed but possible, unfortunately I think Leinster will be all but out after their trip to the South of France. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either, the side is in transition and if we look at history Leinster had a poor HEC in 2007/2008 (going out in the group of death) but a strong Magners League and a lot of playing time for new and younger faces built the core of the squad that would dominate Europe for the next four years.

No, you're finished. Pool is too strong for a 2nd place to emerge as best runner up and it would be highly unlikely for enough to go your way to sneak through in 1st from here. Leinster will have more to say in ruining one of the other three's chances now than getting through themselves.

No, you're finished. Pool is too strong for a 2nd place to emerge as best runner up and it would be highly unlikely for enough to go your way to sneak through in 1st from here. Leinster will have more to say in ruining one of the other three's chances now than getting through themselves.

17 points got through in second place last year four wins gets Leinster there, A BP or two could win Leinster the pool, it's highly unlikely but the playing talent is there and you can be sure Leinster's goal is to get out of the group.

Still breathing, just about. Depends how both Leinster and Toulon react, two wins are required and I'm happy the first game is in Stade Felix Mayol because if Toulon lose they'll stick one eye on the top 14 and their revenge attempt should be easier to deal with Dublin. We have the players to beat Toulon twice if they're not at 100% and we shouldn't lose out so much at scrum time and in defence with three weeks more training under the new coaching team. If we can pull that off, with spitis and form flying high, 8 points should follow against Bath and a Piatau-less Wasps, 17 points could do if all the other sides win their other home games but a BP vs Bath would probably be needed to escape.

Pretty confident to predict that you win away against any side in the European Cup!
I'm obviously not going to rule it out - if there's a team who can do it it might be Leinster, though to say it should happen strikes me as quite a bold call, and Leinster do look rather sickly.
Jackson going well helps - first time in 6 years we've had a competent fly half

Pretty confident to predict that you win away against any side in the European Cup!
I'm obviously not going to rule it out - if there's a team who can do it it might be Leinster, though to say it should happen strikes me as quite a bold call, and Leinster do look rather sickly.
Jackson going well helps - first time in 6 years we've had a competent fly half

It should happen on the assumptions that we're off the back of two wins against Toulon and a win against Bath and winning form in the pro 12, 2010/2011 form if you like... Huge ****ing assumption, on current form we should probably only beat Bath at home! I'll hold out hope though, most of the players are still about from then, the centre pairing looked promising Saturday and Reid and Ringrose are waiting in the wings, the second row is too weak though.

It should happen on the assumptions that we're off the back of two wins against Toulon and a win against Bath and winning form in the pro 12, 2010/2011 form if you like... Huge ****ing assumption, on current form we should probably only beat Bath at home! I'll hold out hope though, most of the players are still about from then, the centre pairing looked promising Saturday and Reid and Ringrose are waiting in the wings, the second row is too weak though.

I thought Triggs went well against Wasps and obviously Toner is a proven international lock?

I thought Triggs went well against Wasps and obviously Toner is a proven international lock?

Yeah but there's no real commanding presence, he has a great engine but I was hoping Triggs would be an 'enforcer' for Leinster. Behind the two of them is Mike McCarthy who is a pro 12 standard player these days and Ross Moloney who wasn't trusted to bench ahead of a flanker on Saturday which speaks volumes. Losing Kane Douglas, who was nowhere near his best last season, has really weakened Leinster's front five.

Still breathing, just about. Depends how both Leinster and Toulon react, two wins are required and I'm happy the first game is in Stade Felix Mayol because if Toulon lose they'll stick one eye on the top 14 and their revenge attempt should be easier to deal with Dublin. We have the players to beat Toulon twice if they're not at 100% and we shouldn't lose out so much at scrum time and in defence with three weeks more training under the new coaching team. If we can pull that off, with spirits and form flying high, 8 points should follow against Bath and a Piatau-less Wasps, 17 points could do if all the other sides win their other home games but a BP vs Bath would probably be needed to escape.

Are you planning on breaking his legs before the game or something? Why wouldn't Piutau be playing for Wasps?

Thought he was joining Ulster in January, just checked and it's obviously July.

I wouldn't be so sure he's joining them at all.

I would be very surprised if Wasps didn't have a real go at keeping him - the balance of their backline is exceptional at the moment.

Thought he was joining Ulster in January, just checked and it's obviously July.

His contract isn't until July. He had originally planned to stay in NZ after the RWC (a squad he expected to make) for a season.

It's certainly a surprising turn of events due to the performances shown by Wasps.

Wasps vs Bath back to back will be very interesting...

I wouldn't be so sure he's joining them at all.

I would be very surprised if Wasps didn't have a real go at keeping him - the balance of their backline is exceptional at the moment.

Just wait until Leiua comes back in for Jacobs...

Re Piatau, the most likely way to keep him is to ensure he continues to have a good experience with a club which he feels is going somewhere. If he feels good about Wasps then it's likely he will try and stay. If he doesn't much want to stay, it doesn't matter how much cash Wasps have, you can forget about it.

Latest posts