• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup 15/16 - Rd 5 Pool 5 (Bath, Leinster, Toulon, Wasps)

Bloody brilliant guys!

1. Bath have serious problem with their front five.

2. They may have a great back line albeit that is argumentative!

3. Leinster have some cracking young players - Ringaring, the starting 2 (a real Lions candidate), Ruddock to name a few!

3. Maybe Cullen is the exception that proves the rule about you should never employ a player as coach.

4. Gouzeres could be the best ever French ref!

5. All those who said that Leinster were letting down Ulster are proved wrong!

6. Ciaran Healey who?

7. Ford as England starting 10? Don't think so......

8 Roko/Eastmond international class?

9. Auterac..... Yes!!!

Not what I was expecting really. Great performance, everything that could go right pretty much did. Think this game confirms that Furlong and Luke McGrath should be starters going forward, Moloney ahead of Denton and Ringrose getting starts during the 6N. Furlong, Lee and Sinckler were all at the a JWRC together and at the time Furlong was the best of the three glad to see he's showing it now. Wouldn't be against him starting for Ireland but don't see Schmidt dropping Ross.

There's a number of factors that should be taken into account but I'm not really arsed at the moment. The kids are alight.

Surely Ringrose has to be in Irish cap contention during 6Nations. Also must say Tracy really looked brilliant. It's been known a long way out Furlong would be the top man by 2016/2017. I've a feeling that is part of Moores thinking too. McGrath was very good but still needs to iron out some flaws.
Must ask though how far has Jordi gone back down pecking order. He wasn't terrible but just I think a sufferer of being used across the back row.

Only caught the second half and Leinster getting off 2 possible yellows but Bath were just **** is every aspect of the game.

Watched it here on record and Baths worst decision I think was cutting Stringer. I think (from what I've seen of Bath this year) that Ford Sr misses his leadership among the players and Ford Jr misses his service and advice too. For all the talent they have Bath are becoming very predictable and stale.

Horrible defending by Bath. Totally falling apart in the last couple of weeks.
Plus a young Leinster squad playing a good match, but did not have anything to loose.

Only caught the second half and Leinster getting off 2 possible yellows but Bath were just **** is every aspect of the game.
Bath we're let off at least one in the 1st half too! JVDF definitely would have got one if that pass was going to hand though. Bath went out expecting to bully us up front again but when they didn't they didn't know what to do and don't have the physical presence in the backline to do much anyway. As much a fan I am of the two of them Ford and Eastmond is a flawed 10-12 axis, who aren't exactly helped by Cook being headless, Ford is more valuable and needs to be kept but a good physical 12 is what they need and possibly missed in not going for Te'o when they assumably had the chance!

Leinster on the other hand were brilliant! Add Johnny Sexton to the mix who would have ran the game better, McGrath for a bigger presence at 1, Heaslip for a world class 8 and Henshaw for an even better 12 and you have a side that could be European contenders, especially with another 6 months experience and a pro 12 under their belt. Getting knocked out of this comp may have been a huge blessing for us, we can focus purely on progression now while being the strongest side and squad in our league by some distance! Leo and Girv are working a treat!!!

Yeah Bath signings recently have been a disaster. We lost Fearns, who was a real presence, for Burgess who buggered off back down under. We lost Stringer for Matelawu, big mistake. We have Priestland in, there is a reason he didn't get played for Wales in last few years. Last year we brought in Henson and now we've lost Devoto to Exeter. I bet he will perform for them. Whoever has been in charge of player signings and contracts has been making a ton of poor decisions recently. Couple that with losing the psychology coach because it was deemed he wasn't needed...

Yeah Bath signings recently have been a disaster. We lost Fearns, who was a real presence, for Burgess who buggered off back down under. We lost Stringer for Matelawu, big mistake. We have Priestland in, there is a reason he didn't get played for Wales in last few years. Last year we brought in Henson and now we've lost Devoto to Exeter. I bet he will perform for them. Whoever has been in charge of player signings and contracts has been making a ton of poor decisions recently. Couple that with losing the psychology coach because it was deemed he wasn't needed...

Fully agree. Especially as guys like Stringer and Fearns were probably cheaper than the alternatives but offered much more in terms of giving their all etc

I thought Priestland was mainly brought in to play 10 during the 6 nations as Devoto proved he wasn't up to snuff there last season. Either way I have no problem with our starting backs line up but the entire group have been missing form lately but te reality is they aren't the problem well at least yesterday. There were enough flashes to show what hey are capable of just lacked being clynical.

Scrum half is a problem was last season as well loosing Stringer was bad but I do think there are a lack of singable be options out there. Why we persisted with Matelawu over Cook until now baffles he mind. He should of been used as an impact sub.

Our forwards have been pretty much innocuous the past few weeks even those I rate the Burgess affair caused havoc with the back row. I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen Louw been so quiet. I'd like another 2nd row of international quality or just below to go with Attwood. No idea what going on up front....

The entire team just feels off balance and it's getting to the stage where we can't blame the world cup. Might have write this season off and hope we recover some semblance of team cohesion over the summer. Thought last week was turning point it sadly appears not.

- - - Updated - - -

Will say on yellow cards I can accept the impeding call as we got a similar one earlier. A little miffed over the 'spear' okay fair enough it wasn't brutal but some refs would of given a red for it to not even be a yellow is pretty poor.

Actually though he had a poor game all round whilst he was pretty much consistent to both teams I thought he was pretty inconsistent to both teams in what he'd allow in the breakdown which actually didn't help the game much.

Surely Ringrose has to be in Irish cap contention during 6Nations. Also must say Tracy really looked brilliant. It's been known a long way out Furlong would be the top man by 2016/2017. I've a feeling that is part of Moores thinking too. McGrath was very good but still needs to iron out some flaws.
Must ask though how far has Jordi gone back down pecking order. He wasn't terrible but just I think a sufferer of being used across the back row.

Ringrose will be in the extended squad but I can't see him making the 23 this 6N, first of all it's not the way Schmidt works and secondly centre is a tough position to get in the team this year. Fitzgerald, McCloskey and Marshall have all being playing brilliant stuff (in more European games than Ringrose) and Henshaw and Payne are back. I think it'll be at least the Autumn Series before Ringrose gets capped unless there's injuries. It's probably best for him to train with Ireland while still getting a run of professional games in the centre.

I'm delighted with Tracey's progress this season. He's 24 and been around a while I was thinking he may have to look abroad because he was about 4th choice and wasn't getting any gametime at all really It's been fantastic how he's stood up this year.

Bloody brilliant guys!

1. Bath have serious problem with their front five.

2. They may have a great back line albeit that is argumentative!

3. Leinster have some cracking young players - Ringaring, the starting 2 (a real Lions candidate), Ruddock to name a few!

3. Maybe Cullen is the exception that proves the rule about you should never employ a player as coach.

4. Gouzeres could be the best ever French ref!

5. All those who said that Leinster were letting down Ulster are proved wrong!

6. Ciaran Healey who?

7. Ford as England starting 10? Don't think so......

8 Roko/Eastmond international class?

9. Auterac..... Yes!!!

Don't agree at all with your point 8, although the others I do.

Eastmond had an ok game, doesn't help that ford was awful. His tackling is absolute joke, I wander how many yards was lost down his channel. Tackles far too high, should not be in the reckoning for an England place at the moment.

Bath did not compete at the breakdown, felt the ref let Leinster get away with a bit but reffed the breakdown quite well. He missed 3 obvious sin bins, 1 to bath and 2 to Leinster.

I don't particularly rate madigan but he made ford look amateur yesterday.

Bath wasting loads of money on there back row, when their locks need replacing. Webber is one of the worst hookers to grace an England shirt, bath's set piece was crap.

Leinster looked decent, that centre looked superb. Future great.

Don't agree at all with your point 8, although the others I do.

Eastmond had an ok game, doesn't help that ford was awful. His tackling is absolute joke, I wander how many yards was lost down his channel. Tackles far too high, should not be in the reckoning for an England place at the moment.

Bath did not compete at the breakdown, felt the ref let Leinster get away with a bit but reffed the breakdown quite well. He missed 3 obvious sin bins, 1 to bath and 2 to Leinster.

I don't particularly rate madigan but he made ford look amateur yesterday.

Bath wasting loads of money on there back row, when their locks need replacing. Webber is one of the worst hookers to grace an England shirt, bath's set piece was crap.

Leinster looked decent, that centre looked superb. Future great.

Point 8 was a query as I, who does not see a lot of them, do think there are huge questions for each to which they need to provide the answer!

Ringrose will be in the extended squad but I can't see him making the 23 this 6N, first of all it's not the way Schmidt works and secondly centre is a tough position to get in the team this year. Fitzgerald, McCloskey and Marshall have all being playing brilliant stuff (in more European games than Ringrose) and Henshaw and Payne are back. I think it'll be at least the Autumn Series before Ringrose gets capped unless there's injuries. It's probably best for him to train with Ireland while still getting a run of professional games in the centre.

I'm delighted with Tracey's progress this season. He's 24 and been around a while I was thinking he may have to look abroad because he was about 4th choice and wasn't getting any gametime at all really It's been fantastic how he's stood up this year.

I understand your views but the way I see it is Henshaw is our only real natural centre although some probably still see him more a 15. Yes Luke is there too and will be 12 but is the Payne experiment over seen as he was back 15 yesterday. I just think Ringrose is a natural centre and can offer a lot now. The 2 Ulster lads I think should be in serious contention too. But centre looks a lot more promising than it did 6 months ago.

Regards Tracey surely he will be fighting for jersey now. His work on the ground was phenomenal. I thought he really looked a natural in the coal face area of it all.

Hughes and Jackson were the catalysts for Wasps win last time around.
Neither in the starting side, only Jackson on the bench who will probably not get much, if any, time.
I reckon Wasps are gonna get rinsed here.

I ****ing hate pilou pilou.

Edit: Well it looks like Nige isn't reffing Toulon today, then.
Basta ran in with a shoulder into Halai(?)'s face, and Nige didn't bat an eye.

Last edited:
Cooper to keep Wasps in the game or hand it over to them

Might have to mute commentary soon.
If I hear "Eddie Jones" and "Steffon Armitage" in the same sentence again I'm going to spew.

Latest posts